Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Has the concept of Karma been corrupted?

13»

Comments

• edited January 2011
    I meant, that if people are misusing the concept of karma to absolve themselves of any responsibility in a matter, for example, to walk away rather than speak out when abuse or bullying are happening, then doesn't that concern us all, as compassionate beings and dharma practitioners? (Sorry about this confusion re: your response to Vincenzi vs. addressing the OP.) If one of our foundational principles is being misconstrued by someone in order to coldly ignore a hurtful act, and thus perpetuate suffering, shouldn't this concern us?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I find that most people who misuse the concept of kamma in a way I have described - completely forget, or just don't consider that they too, are subject to the workings of Kamma!
    So I hear people discussing kamma in incorrect or "ignorant" ways, referring to somebody else's come-uppance, or why is their kamma not biting them on their @ss - and I point out that they too have kamma - and it takes them completely by surprise.
    They then protest that they were the victim, and they were "abused, vilified, insulted" by this other person, they've done nothing wrong!

There begins the long and tedious process of explaining it in simple-to-handle terms.....!:D
  • edited January 2011
    I feel fortunate to have not experienced any of the scenarios that you and kayte describe. But let me understand this; the victim makes a comment about why the victimizer's karma doesn't come back to haunt them, but you point out to the victim that they, too, have karma? Do I have that right?? (All of this sounds unbelievably samsaric. I must be living in a sheltered world, or something.)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2011
    yup, you got it!
    This is how badly those who have no concept or knowledge of Buddhism or kamma, react.
    Kamma is widely viewed, by many who have no idea, as something that carries some form of penalty, judgement or asskicking ability.
    Putting them straight is occasionally a long process.
    And let me tell you, not everybody takes to it kindly....
    I participated in a hteread where the OP spoke of Kamma in these terms, and I managed, over a 'page or 2' of the thread, to explain the more conventional and correct concept.

One other poster came back, and said (I kid you not!)
    "Yes, but Fede, we're not talking about your kind of karma, we're talking about our kind...." :wtf: :screwy: :lol:

Oh, I replied, trying to suppress my much-amused astonishment..."You're talking about revenge, or come-uppance....yes?"

"Yeah, that's right!"

"Well, in that case, " I replied "It isn't kamma - so don't call it that!"

In fairness, the OP did come back and apologise, and said she'd learnt a lot and hadn't meant to be dismissive or offensive....
    I had no problem with her.
    but really....some folks.....! :D
  • (I kid you not!)
    You must see all kinds on this forum, over time.

Oh yes, to be sure. They come, and sometimes they go.... But the above account took place on a different Forum, BTW.....
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    I think if people are distorting the concept of karma to justify or allow abuse of others, if we're in a position to do anything about it, we should. Well, as Fede said, offer compassion for what's happening Now. It's not about fathoming reasons, the workings of karma. It's about compassion, and possibly about educating people about the correct view of karma. (or...not, if one isn't a believer in karma)

So much to do in the world. So much samsara. So little time. *sighhh*