Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The View There Is No Self is Wrong View

VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
edited February 2011 in Philosophy
There are so many people both pro Rebirth and Rebirth atheists that formulate arguments on what I believe is the false premesis that the self does not exist. So I am bringing it up for discussion.

My question is does anybody disagree with the below translation that the view there is no self is wrong view? And if so what is the motivation? I am really curios.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: The view I have a self arises in him as true & established, or the view I have no self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive self... or the view It is precisely by means of self that I perceive not-self... or the view It is precisely by means of not-self that I perceive self arises in him as true & established, or else he has a view like this: This very self of mine — the knower that is sensitive here & there to the ripening of good & bad actions — is the self of mine that is constant, everlasting, eternal, not subject to change, and will stay just as it is for eternity. This is called a thicket of views, a wilderness of views, a contortion of views, a writhing of views, a fetter of views. Bound by a fetter of views, the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person is not freed from birth, aging, & death, from sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair. He is not freed, I tell you, from suffering & stress."

citation from below link:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.002.than.html

Comments

• Could you "pare down" the ideas presented in the citation so that the question becomes clearer? Sometimes I find the classical presentations confusing because they have that repetitive pattern. Sorry. Maybe just my problem.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited February 2011
    does anybody disagree with the below translation that the view there is no self is wrong view? And if so what is the motivation? I am really curios.
    As that quote indicates, "I have a self" and "I do not have a self" are both wrong view. So when he says wrong view, he doesn't mean ontologically incorrect. He's not taking a position on how the world beyond personal experience "really" is. He's saying that to attach to either view is a hindrance to awakening, a "fermentation" which is not "fit for attention" (to use the lingo of that translation.)

(Which is why arguments about this are so ironic.)
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    Could you "pare down" the ideas presented in the citation so that the question becomes clearer? Sometimes I find the classical presentations confusing because they have that repetitive pattern. Sorry. Maybe just my problem.
    Sure no problem.
    What I am after is that so many seem to think that the Buddhist Anatta doctrin can be understood as literally meaning that "There is no self".

The below rows from the sutta mn2 is really saying that that view is not what the Buddha intended. Or so I have thought all my life. I am just wondering if there is any legit claim to think otherwise?

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him: ... or the view I have no self... etc."

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    There is no permanent, unchanging self. There is an aggregation of mind and body that is conditioned and that changes and eventually separates. The teaching of Anatta or Not-Self is to dislodge the ideas of a permanent, unchanging self.

You can take anything you want to be "you", but it all changes, and it will all fall away to become new things. Don't cling. :)
  • I think this question will smack head on into the defects of language. We're asking too much from language.

My "solution?" If there were meaning to the statement "There is no self," there also would have to be meaning to the statement "there is no other."

Obviously that makes no sense in the human realm; which is our one and only realm for right now.

If you want to discuss not-this-human-realm then there's no language which we can use to do that with: therefore there's no way to make any sense out of it.

If you want to speak "poetically" please feel free to do so - realizing all bets are off as far as making sense is concerned.

FWIW.

• In Gelug Vajrayana they make the distinction between "conventional truth" and "ultimate truth". Isn't that easy enough?
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Hi Victorious

Here, the Buddha has asserted here what is "inappropriate" yet the impression I have gained is your post is a kind of rebelliousness against what the Buddha is instructing.

As stated at the end of the quote, this is the thicket of views, the wilderness of views, the CONTORTION of views, the WRITHING of views and the fetter of views of the uninstructed run-of-the-mill person.

Each of the six kinds of view within them includes the view of "I". These six views can be reduced to two, namely:

(1) "I" have a "self"
    (2) "I" have "no self"

Both views are still caught in the thicket & rebelliousness of "I".

With metta

DD :)
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Makes sense to me. There's no I or self to begin with, until we start having opinions or views. We don't see that all of this is changing all of the time. We get caught up in this thicket of views, and don't see that there's only mind and form, conditionality, no stopping this train that we're on. :)

It probably began when we needed to start referring to particular individuals, as societal roles began and humans really started working together for survival. The mistake was in taking this conventional usage and taking it to be ultimate reality.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    When grasping is stripped away we are left with clarity openness and sensitivity. These are qualities that cannot be pinned down conceptually, but to live in a simple direct way letting go of grasping to thought they emerge automatically.

This is why quenching the 3 poisons does not result in nothingness. It also does not result in meaningless sawdust of aggregates. The five skandas are a tool, but they are actually a mistaken vision of reality. They are relative truth, like "don't worry it will be ok". That is not a literal truth, but it can help.
    edited February 2011
    Hi Victorious

Here, the Buddha has asserted here what is "inappropriate" yet the impression I have gained is your post is a kind of rebelliousness against what the Buddha is instructing.
    You really are a master at twisting words. I take of my hat to you. Its amazing what you can elaborate from absoluteley nothing.

Tell me do you give courses? Its just that I was thinking about going in to politics... :).

Good healt to you Man...or Woman
    Makes sense to me. There's no I or self to begin with, until we start having opinions or views.
    That was an interesting formulation...Do you mean that the process of Self starts of at a particular time in life? That we are egoless to begin with?

• Hi Victorious

You really are a master at twisting words. I take of my hat to you. Its amazing what you can elaborate from absoluteley nothing.

Tell me do you give courses? Its just that I was thinking about going in to politics... :).

Good healt to you Man...or Woman
    I know this is Federica's/other moderators' place, but I say- "You kids- quit your fighting". Seriously, there is a thread current titled "Uncomfortable" that talks about some of the contentiousness and niggling that goes on in some of the threads that supposedly didn't go on before.

So maybe we should examine what we're posting to see whether or not it's contentious or niggling before we hit the "Post Comment" button? You two are carrying on a running "disagreement" interwoven throughout other thread posts, and I'm not sure the statement about V's "rebelliousness" or the strength of V's reply were called for- either one.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Makes sense to me. There's no I or self to begin with, until we start having opinions or views.
    That was an interesting formulation...Do you mean that the process of Self starts of at a particular time in life? That we are egoless to begin with?

I think that's just it. I mean only certain other animals even recognize themselves as what is reflected in a mirror, and then that's about as developed as their sense of self seems to get! I think with bigger brains and more development, we get this sense of self and we cling to it, because we understand all too vividly the reality of death ever-approaching.

I mean what's all this about souls and such? That doesn't keep us in the world, but it makes us feel safe, like we'll never be lost. Well the truth is that we're never lost anyway (this stuff has always been here), but we think we are, and so we cling hard! We're so afraid, but of what? Of going back to where we were before birth? :) Ha!

The fact is that we like life (most of the time), and so we want to continue being a part of it. We think that when we die, that's it. Really, all of this goes on to become new things and keep experiencing life, just not necessarily in the same combination of aggregates. We have to let go of thinking we've got some "core" of being. We're just stuff working together!

• Animals have a sense of getting food. It doesn't matter if they have developed conceptualization. They do have a sense that 'they' are 'getting' 'food'. However they conceptualize it. This leads to karma and craving and so forth.

Unless I am wrong. In that case they are enlightened animals :)
  • You really are a master at twisting words.
    :lol:

I know this is Federica's/other moderators' place, but I say- "You kids- quit your fighting". Seriously, there is a thread current titled "Uncomfortable" that talks about some of the contentiousness and niggling that goes on in some of the threads that supposedly didn't go on before.

So maybe we should examine what we're posting to see whether or not it's contentious or niggling before we hit the "Post Comment" button? You two are carrying on a running "disagreement" interwoven throughout other thread posts, and I'm not sure the statement about V's "rebelliousness" or the strength of V's reply were called for- either one.
    You are right if it is getting in the way of serious discussion I appolagies. For me contraversy is a natural part of a discussion and I like stepping out of the box in all aspects of life and thougth. The trick is to answer without bile. Chaos is good to keep the mind at an edge. But I will keep a lid on it since you express discomfort.

Kindly
    Victor

• Victor it might not be sherab that is feeling discomfort. He may be thinking of others. I know for a fact that many are very sensitive. Some won't even post! Some feel bad if someone doesn't congratulate or appreciate their post. We are all different. Personally I have hung out in aol chatrooms where the mud slinging and 'factions' makes this seem like kindergarten.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    Animals have a sense of getting food. It doesn't matter if they have developed conceptualization. They do have a sense that 'they' are 'getting' 'food'. However they conceptualize it. This leads to karma and craving and so forth.

Unless I am wrong. In that case they are enlightened animals :)
    I think animals have a greater dominion on "enlightened action" in general than (unenlightened) humans, but humans are capable of "enlightened thought" also, which leads to dispassion and the cessation of our suffering entirely. Animals do crave, but they don't have the problems associated with all of this self-thought. They just survive, procreate, suffer pain and the like. The more intelligent animals like elephants may mourn the loss of their young until death; greater capacity for thought is greater capacity for clinging.

There's really only mind and form. Capacity of thought is all that differentiates minds.

You really are a master at twisting words.
    :lol:

Sorry my Arch Fiend of NewBuddhist our banter is bringing discomfort to others obviously.

I have promised to take it down a peg. Could you maybe be so kind too oblige as well?

Kindly Victorious
    :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You are right if it is getting in the way of serious discussion ....

Meh.... when it gets so stupid that it's reduced to a pointless, argumentative tit-for-tat between two main protagonists, I just close it.

It's called "taking your ball away" or "go find somewhere else to make your empty noise."

Got it? :)

• Animals have no tools to liberate from their cravings. Other than love for some higher animals.
    Victor it might not be sherab that is feeling discomfort. He may be thinking of others. I know for a fact that many are very sensitive. Some won't even post! Some feel bad if someone doesn't congratulate or appreciate their post. We are all different. Personally I have hung out in aol chatrooms where the mud slinging and 'factions' makes this seem like kindergarten.
    Yes but somehow Sherb has a point. This is a Buddhist forum. Many take their practise very seriously...

edited February 2011
    Sorry my Arch Fiend of NewBuddhist...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    edited February 2011
    Got it? :
    OK

Sorry Fede

:dunce:

Meh.... when it gets so stupid that it's reduced to a pointless, argumentative tit-for-tat between two main protagonists, I just close it.

It's called "taking your ball away" or "go find somewhere else to make your empty noise."

Got it? :)

Got it!

:aol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    :) Thank you gentlemen.

I think animals have a greater dominion on "enlightened action" in general than (unenlightened) humans, but humans are capable of "enlightened thought" also, which leads to dispassion and the cessation of our suffering entirely. Animals do crave, but they don't have the problems associated with all of this self-thought. They just survive, procreate, suffer pain and the like. The more intelligent animals like elephants may mourn the loss of their young until death; greater capacity for thought is greater capacity for clinging.

There's really only mind and form. Capacity of thought is all that differentiates minds.

Does one have to have a concept of a concept of self to have a illusion of self? Is there anything that points to that in the scriptures? Even singel cell organisms shy away from unpleasentness. Why would they do that if not to preserve the "self"?
  • Animals aren't enlightened at all. They exist in the animal realm, usually doing everything out of blind instinct and completely bereft of discernment.
  • "Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self. Were consciousness self, then this consciousness would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.' And since consciousness is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of consciousness: 'Let my consciousness be thus, let my consciousness be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in form, he finds estrangement in feeling, he finds estrangement in perception, he finds estrangement in determinations, he finds estrangement in consciousness.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.059.nymo.html

Anyhow if you're aware of the idea of emptiness, than you have likely heard the idea of there is obviously a "body" here. Just like if you see an object flying at you, you will move, or raise your arms: it is reflect. There is a physical body to protect. However, when you look at emptiness you learn of the idea of a non-inherent existence. Meaning there is obviously a person (you) but however what you define as yourself isn't stagnant. If it were you wouldn't learn, remember, want or desire etc. People wouldn't be able to change.

I don't think the idea of no-self is as much as you're making it. There is a self. But it's just like any other thing in the world a series of circumstances all combined into one, to give something an existence, however not permanent nor inherent.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    We can say that there are individuals; this is so in the human society. But an individual is just part of a society, and the aggregates that make up an individual are just conditioned inter-connected phenomena that work together for a time and are always changing (just like a society itself!).

With DNA as the blueprint and all conditions accounted for, conception occurs and a mind-body complex begins absorbing nutriment and growing, changing. This continues for some amount of time and then stops, at which point the material is recycled, becoming nutriment for other things to grow at some point.

Life is always stopping and starting again, so you can't truly say that it stops at all. We just can't cling to our experiences without suffering the fact that it all changes, and we will come to a "personal end" no matter what we do. However that's not the end of life, just the way things go. Old out, new in.

We can cling really hard to thinking we have some kind of soul, whatever you call it (self, consciousness, and so on), but it's that very clinging that binds us; not whether there's such a thing or not!
  • I was thinking about the same thing pretty much today. What remains when we stop judging (good, bad, neutral)...

My teachings say there is still the unconditioned. And that has a yielding spaciousness. A kind of motion, but there is no reference point so it is still. I conclude that there is still a mental experience but our ideas about that experience cause us to have fear and other kleshas.

But my teaching (vajrayana) says that the kleshas are distortions. When awake for example anger becomes the vision that sees through obstacles. Greed becomes a sense of beauty and wholeness in things as they are.

I think non-self to a certain extent loses its meaning to buddhists, but maybe it is a truth that has penetrated them and taught them wisdom. That is why it is hard to share with others from other traditions.

That which I 'disagree' with another from another tradition may be effective living wisdom in their life that has benefited them.

Clarity, openness, and sensitivity might sound meaningless or a brainwashed mantra to some people but it has a living truth that is relevant to this discussion (for me). I wish I could share it but probably I need to understand my teacher's pointing out instructions more thoroughly.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited February 2011
    @Jeffrey, The unconditioned is the mind that no longer has the root ignorance to condition new unwholesome states (rebirths). It's nothing of itself, absolutely nothing. It just means the mind is flowing freely with everything. That's all Nirvana is, going from Ignorance to Right View. So much more simple than many people make it, at least in my opinion. :D
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited February 2011
    The conditioned mind is a construct. The unconditioned is reality.
  • The conditioned mind is a construct. The unconditioned is reality.
    The conditioned mind struggles against reality.
    The unconditioned mind is empty, free and radiant.

• I'll get back to you when I am more enlightened ;) (have to think about this haha)
  • Mind struggles to fix conditions. The thought patterns 'I' in conjunction with various conditions continues to come up. The thoughts keep coming up and the heart mind senses another possibility. The wisdom senses the other possibility and a sensitive response is a feeling of seeking the wisdom. The 'I' thought patterns adopt these ripples into their pattern and they think of how they can GET wisdom. So mind solidifies the flux and insubstantial world into discrete 'selfs' to react to.

The 'I' thought pattern ironicly thinks that it needs to control these discrete selfs but doesn't realize that all of that including the I thought is just thinking mind.

The wisdom is always seeking wisdom. The 'I' thought is responding to that and trying to get something. That ironically it already has, wisdom. A tiny spark of wisdom is all that is necessary. We just need to align to that wholeness.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm seeing language in failure mode (I'm not thinking of any particular individual: I promise).

Why?

A. because language has limits and
    B. people rarely have the skill to reach those limits and not cross over them into nebulosity or absurdity

Poetry is better since it takes the pressure off and everybody can fly with it: it's hard to crash poetic.

• There once was a buddhist from budapest
    He thought he had no self thats no jest
    So he opened his mail
    and started to wail
    thank god I got that off my chest
  • edited February 2011
    There once was a Buddhist from Buddha.com
    Who thought that the self was an automaton
    He posted his post
    Which was then thought to be toast
    So he went off searching for emoticons!

http://www.pic4ever.com/index.htm

imageimageimageimage

• We need some way to spin threads off... like spin one half off into banter and keep the other half for discussion ahah
  • OKAY I ____PROMISE____ to shut up for a while. :)
  • Imagine if I were to say "all sense experiences are illusions." What do I mean by this? Let's take vision for example. The fundamental units of vision are color. Let's take the additive color palette (red, blue, yellow) as the "base" and from there all other colors are made. Well what is "red"? What is "yellow"? What is "blue"? They are mental impression used to represent light of a specific wave length. Is the mental impression of red the light itself? Is it even close to a literal model of what you are perceiving? No, its an illusion the mind manifests so that we can interpret visual stimuli.

Now, because you know red is not a literal model of the light perceived, do you no longer see?

In much the same way seeing through the mental impression of association (the process that creates identification with mental phenomena) cause it to stop all together? (Answer: Only if "you" know how to turn it off, and even then it's a long arduous path to tame the process.)

Also, besides being a fundamental, distinct, and ongoing mental impression the self is also a concept vital to operating in the world. To say there is "no self" is to deny the process and concept outright, to say there is a "self" without true understanding of it's components is delusion.
  • The notion of a 'self' is one of the most complex and challenging concepts to understand within the dharma in my opinion. We are so so SO conditioned with our ego and the way we have been brought up that we have a self. I myself do not have a firm understanding on antaman, (I do not even know if I have spelled it correctly lol).

Of course you exist, but you are not separate from everything else, everything is one. Or at least this is what I have come to hear from nuns and monks... Somebody jump in with profound wisdom please ^.^
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    There is no permanent, unchanging self. There is an aggregation of mind and body that is conditioned and that changes and eventually separates. The teaching of Anatta or Not-Self is to dislodge the ideas of a permanent, unchanging self.

You can take anything you want to be "you", but it all changes, and it will all fall away to become new things. Don't cling. :)
    That's the way I understand it.

P

"As he attends inappropriately in this way, one of six kinds of view arises in him....
    I think the meaning of passages like this is that we should put to one side the ideas and preconceptions we have, and look directly at what is happening.

P
    There are so many people both pro Rebirth and Rebirth atheists that formulate arguments on what I believe is the false premesis that the self does not exist. So I am bringing it up for discussion.

I can recall a number of passages in the suttas where the Buddha goes through each of the 5 aggregates and observes that they should not be regarded as self.
    Given that there is nothing else BUT the 5 aggregates this seems to suggest that he was teaching that there is no self.

P
  • I see many who refer back to the Buddha's teachings to intellectually contest/reinforce what the words represent. Doesn't the Buddha's teaching prompt us to find for ourselves the nature of the "self" concept? Not the nature of "self": but the nature of the concept of self. When the nature of the concept of self is seen clearly, we can see that we can't put what that concept represents into words, because if we do, it becomes a concept. This is why there neither is or isn't a self at the same time.

We KNOW there is a concept of self.

When we formulate arguments in the intellectual realm, we are adhering to a concept.
    This is why there neither is or isn't a self at the same time.
    I think it's simpler than this. There is no self, merely the illusion of one.

P
  • nothing is dependent from everything else, including you!!1 :o
  • Was just reading this AM. There are two selves.

A. the superficial day-to-day tormented/lustful/responsible/tragic/comic etc self.

B. the "subtle" self, that part which gets transferred into other lifetimes over and over.

Obviously B is extremely difficult to detect.

A can be bombastic and do crazy things if left to it's own devices (due to past good/bad Kharma). It's got to be purified through all that Buddhist practice stuff (trying to be funny).

Seems just perfect that the overblown, bombastic self would be a disturbance, an illusion, would lack substance. Especially in a human-created world where lots of people are out of control! Basically because we're now biological; we're the types of animals which feed on other animals.

Two selves.

One full of illusory BS (probably because the genes are messing with us and don't care about us- biology is complicated!).

The other extremely subtle, enduring, barely personally and privately knowable while probably impossible to communicate anything about it to others.

Nah, I'm just imagining. Who knows? Though I do remember reading for about an hour this AM.