Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The View There Is No Self is Wrong View

13»

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    That sounds like the beginning of Genesis (in the Bible).
  • This essay, No-self vs True Self, might add some useful perspective to this debate.
  • VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    What is nagging me about a continuos process is Anicca. Where is the begining and end of a c
    there is no wrong view
    If you believe in Nibbana then all else is wrong view. Ne?

• Continuity is created by thought. Because each moment can be divided and there is no smallest moment.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    Continuity is created by thought. Because each moment can be divided and there is no smallest moment.
    I'd say that the sense of continuity is created by consciousness. I was thinking that an analogy might be a film reel. We can either look at the film one frame at a time ( momentary approach ) or we can play it in slow motion ( continuity approach ). I'd suggest it's the latter that we are doing when we meditate and practice mindfulness.

P
  • Depends what experience you are assigning continuity to. If the slow motion is made of of slides with no substance, doesn't it logically follow that the slow motion is like a conjurers trick?? I'm not denying that there is an experience. That is why suffering is a problem.
  • Suffering is like a conjurer's trick. That's what the NTs are about.
  • Cracked ribs, 10 dollars to my name, jobless, on the edge of homelessness... still... so much joy!! Wow... genius!!
    Sorry to hear you're going through a tough time, Vajra. Glad you're finding joy in it, though.

I'm not finding joy in it, I'm finding joy seeing through it.
    As in seeing it's transparency...