Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attachments and the pursuit of happiness

It seems like some Buddhists, IMHO, take the idea of non-attachment to the extreme. I have seen this posted many times here, in one form or another: "Drop all attachments, as any attachment leads to dukkha."

Is this what Buddha meant-- to drop ALL attachments? For me (as a new student of Buddha), this doesn't seem either practical or what Buddha teaches. For one thing, if you really dropped ALL attachments, you would simply whither away-- you would die. If you behave this way, it could be construed as being selfish and can't be all that great for Karma. You are certainly not being very compassionate to to anyone else. Whether or not you are being compassionate to yourself may depend on your perspective: if dropping all attachments means suffering less, you could say you are being compassionate to yourself, even if it is suicide. But, I am quite sure that Buddha tried this method and rejected it. Once he rejected it, he gained his strength back and was able to become enlightened. No, Buddha did not teach to drop ALL attachment- he taught the Middle Way, after all.

As I reflected on this overnight, I awoke to find my Tricycle Daily Dharma (which you can subscribe to for free) in my email inbox:

Skillful Desire

The notion of a skillful desire may sound strange, but a mature mind intuitively pursues the desires it sees as skillful and drops those it perceives as not. Basic in everyone is the desire for happiness. Every other desire is a strategy for attaining that happiness.

- Thanissaro Bhikkhu, "Pushing the Limits"
CittavinlynCory

Comments

• CittaCitta Veteran
    chela said:

It seems like some Buddhists, IMHO, take the idea of non-attachment to the extreme. I have seen this posted many times here, in one form or another: "Drop all attachments, as any attachment leads to dukkha."

Is this what Buddha meant-- to drop ALL attachments? For me (as a new student of Buddha), this doesn't seem either practical or what Buddha teaches. For one thing, if you really dropped ALL attachments, you would simply whither away-- you would die. If you behave this way, it could be construed as being selfish and can't be all that great for Karma. You are certainly not being very compassionate to to anyone else. Whether or not you are being compassionate to yourself may depend on your perspective: if dropping all attachments means suffering less, you could say you are being compassionate to yourself, even if it is suicide. But, I am quite sure that Buddha tried this method and rejected it. Once he rejected it, he gained his strength back and was able to become enlightened. No, Buddha did not teach to drop ALL attachment- he taught the Middle Way, after all.

As I reflected on this overnight, I awoke to find my Tricycle Daily Dharma (which you can subscribe to for free) in my email inbox:

Skillful Desire

The notion of a skillful desire may sound strange, but a mature mind intuitively pursues the desires it sees as skillful and drops those it perceives as not. Basic in everyone is the desire for happiness. Every other desire is a strategy for attaining that happiness.

I would suggest that the real attachments is not to things but to the idea of a solid and entity to grasp or reject those things.
    riverflowSabbyInvincible_summerLucy_Begood
  • chelachela Veteran
    @riverflow , that is a great description and makes perfect sense. It is easier to see the difference between desire and attachment, although I think they may be the same thing, only attachment is at the extreme end of the spectrum, whereas desire (without strong attachment) can be laying along the line somewhere closer to the middle, between attachment and extreme non-attachment. Does that make any sense? What I'm saying is that I don't see how you could have any desire-- even desire for happiness-- without SOME notion of attachment. That doesn't mean you let attachment to your desire take over. Am I in the ballpark, or am I just going in circles?
  • skillful desire
    A good term.
    My attachment or connection to the Internet was down this morning.
    Once I had found out why, there was nothing I could do in that direction.

So rather than desire what was unavailable, a connection, a person, an experience etc
    we can increase our desire for teaching, good company etc.
    I did some extra practice.

Without intent or desire there is stagnation in dukkha.
    In many ways we are initially bringing our desires or reorienting them towards the Middle Way.

:)
    chelaSabbyLucy_Begood
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    To me desire is wanting whatever the item is because of the want for the attachment itself. For example, someone who is alone who greatly desires a partner. Often they desire to not be alone so badly that they accept anyone, no matter their qualities, in order to not be alone because they are so attached to the idea that having someone, anyone, in their life will make it better.

For me the best way I understand it and experience it is expectation. I love my husband, and my children. Of course I would suffer greatly if anything bad happened to any one of them. I suppose I am attached to them in that respect. However, I do not desire to control them, and I don't have expectations of them anymore. Not like I used to, I am sure there are still some. When you stop expecting someone to be a particular way, you are no longer attached to the outcome and it just makes things much easier. It allows for much more acceptance.

Of course a lot of people will say it's not possible, that if we have no expectations it means we would let our partners beat us because we don't expect them to treat us with respect, but that is not true. There is nothing that says if someone treats you badly you have to stay with them, lol.

letting go of that expectation of outcome has been especially helpful in raising my kids. It allows me much better to see that no matter what path I am on, they are their own people on their own path. Just because they want to do something a certain way that is a completely opposite from how I think it should be done, doesn't mean it's the wrong thing to do. When I trust them and their path, things always come out far better than they would have had I pushed my expectation on them.
    chelavinlynLucy_Begoodmaarten
  • chelachela Veteran
    edited March 2013
    @lobster , "reorienting our desires towards the Middle Way"-- THIS!!! This is what I'm...uhhh..grasping at?! This is the way I'm seeing the teaching of attachment/desire. Which means, to me, that there is still a "flavor" of attachment, but it's a "loose" attachment-- a desire that isn't a desire that controls the mind, rather, the mind controls the attachment. Yeah...maybe that's it.

@karasti , I like how you talk about expectations-- to me, it's another word that could be used in place of attachments in many situations. You're right, we have to control our expectations. This is something I started to learn (thanks to a wise woman in my life) prior to my studies of Buddhism, and I can totally relate it to non-attachment. However, again (IMHO), I can say that we do have to have SOME form of expectation, or we end up with what you said-- a situation like one where you just let a person walk all over you. So you do have to have some expectation that you will be treated with some respect. Of course, you must be skillful with this expectation. For example, if you feel that you aren't being respected, you must look for the reasons why you feel this way-- look with understanding eyes within yourself and also within the other person. You do not have to get attached to the feeling of being disrespected. But skillfully looking can help determine if you are being disrespected in an abusive way and if there is something you should do (or not do) in that situation.

Desires and expectations- do not have a narrow definition of what they should be (do not cling or attach tightly). Be open to the "now" and be mindful of intentions. But it is okay to move in a direction that is a skilful direction, and move with skilful means.

So yes, it is SKILFUL desire, SKILFUL expectations. I LOVE the Middle Way! To me, it feels like SKILFUL common sense!
  • Basic in everyone is the desire for happiness
    It does not always seem that way, or maybe the desires leading into dukkha are stronger?
    There are many people, including some mystics, who take a perverse satisfaction in unhappiness and other negativity. For example some dervishes spend their nights weeping and decades of being miserable.
    Also I find a lot of monks have attained a condition of 'blah', a sort of bland equanimity, or tranquillised emotional state. Not happy. Not unhappy. Just a Valium substitute?

To be happy one must first give up the desire for having no desire.
    Desire more. Just different. Perhaps desire to be a Buddha. Works for me. :clap:
    Lucy_Begood
    For myself, I am rarely disappointed anymore. Because I stopped expecting a certain outcome from basically any situation. When I stopped wishing and hoping for something/someone to be different than it/they were, I stopped being disappointed and upset. If someone is treating me poorly, I deal with that for what it is. I don't wish, or demand, them to treat me differently. The situation simply is what it is, and I can accept it or I can make a different choice for myself. It most certainly doesn't mean you let people treat you like crap and not do anything about it. You if you have to demand someone treat you a certain way, what is the point?

It is part of where the problem about the internet world I posted about in the other thread comes from. I find myself with expectations for people to be different than they are and then I end up angry when they are not. With the internet it's tricky because it's a fair bet that the things people say online, aren't the same things they would say to your face in person and it makes it a lot of guesswork as far as their intent goes. People feel much more free to be hateful pricks online than they do in real life. Because I still have an expectation that all people deserved to be treated with kindness and respect, I end up upset and disappointed in the outcome. What it comes down to is it is not up to me to demand respect from or for anyone. All I can do is accept the situation for what it is and make whatever choice is appropriate for me.
  • chelachela Veteran
    I can only speak for one person I know who appears to have no desire for happiness. But I think underneath all of the layers, there is a desire for happiness. The problem appears to me to be that this person cannot see through the millions of layers of attachments and constructed miseries to see the basic desire of happiness that is there. It seems, to me, that this particular person has actually buried this desire as a way to try to distance from that desire because she never understood how to truly quench that desire. So the desire became too painful to feel. Feeling misery was easier because she could count on that feeling. Like a self-fulfilled prophecy. And now she is so attached to her misery that she hasn't even considered the possibility for happiness in decades.

@lobster "To be happy one must first give up the desire for having no desire." That totally works for me!
    lobster
  • chelachela Veteran
    @karasti It seems to me that the there are three possible situations when it comes to being wronged: are you (or me, or anyone) attached to your expectations-- is it something internal that is causing you to feel you have been wronged, if so, let it go; or if you have really been wronged, but it doesn't really matter in the end, just let it go; or if you have really been wronged in a way that it requires action of some sort. The point is that we must reflect with skilful understanding before reacting to our feelings. I think we can only reflect with skilful understanding when we are not attached to our feeling in the first place.

Sometimes I feel like I need more clarification with teachings and concepts and sometimes I feel like when I seek more clarification it leads to overthinking and feeling as if I'm going around in circles. Anyone else ever get that?

By the way, is there any difference between "skilful" and "skillful," or is this just a language/translation thing?
    Sometimes I feel like I need more clarification with teachings and concepts and sometimes I feel like when I seek more clarification it leads to overthinking and feeling as if I'm going around in circles. Anyone else ever get that?

LOL all the time. It is one benefit of having a teacher/sangha to pose the confusion and questions to. Almost all the time they are able to tell a story or explain it in a way that makes much more sense than me trying to figure it out myself.
    NancyRose
  • When i first started out with buddhism i was scared to dissapear sort of speak.
    I have had some points were i took myself to extremes of non-attachment.

But its not like that.

Its way better.
    However, words cannot describe this state of being
    Bunkslobster
  • The trick- learning how to be happy even if you have nothing (or only bad things).
    lobsterInvincible_summer
  • Happiness independent of karma, from previous lives or around the corner, now you are talking . . .
    The idea of disappearing made me smile, reminded me of a similar delusion.

Just imagine, you are homeless, you have left a marriage that did not work out, your mother is dead, your father does not understand you, you have not seen your kid for six years, you are starving . . .
    . . . then you become a Buddha.
    :clap:
  • chela said:

What I'm saying is that I don't see how you could have any desire-- even desire for happiness-- without SOME notion of attachment. That doesn't mean you let attachment to your desire take over. Am I in the ballpark, or am I just going in circles?

This is something I wrote on my old blog last year that might help give an instance of how you do what needs doing, but without attachment:

Sometime earlier last year, I had intended to take a brief trip at night to pick up a few needed groceries, but before pulling out of the lot, I sensed something was wrong with my truck. I stepped out to investigate, and as I had suspected, I had a completely flat tire. I was surprised at my own response to discovering this—rather than get upset, I parked the truck and went back to my loft, knowing that there wasn’t much I could accomplish in the dark to fix the tire. I went to bed, knowing what needed to be done and thought little of it for the rest of the night.

The next day, I woke up ready to do what was necessary to fix my truck. Without going into the details, even what I had set out to do was not so simple. I couldn’t get the spare tire loose from underneath the truck and it turned out I didn’t have a jack (I rarely ever have need to use my truck and maybe go to the gas station four or five times a year without even filling up). Other problems cropped up as well. But in each case, I was unperturbed. I simply acknowledged the new situation and adapted myself to it without complaining. And believe me, this is not normally how I handle situations like this. I was aware of my disposition during all of this and was surprised—this was no feigned calm, but was a spontaneous response. Incidentally, I had been engaged in quite a lot of zazen, being quite involved with Buddhism during this time.

In the end, with all the walking around town and all the various things I had to purchase and eventually get my truck to a nearby mechanic to replace the tire, after all the time, money and energy spent, I finally had accomplished everything I had set out to do by the afternoon, and then bought the groceries I had meant to get the previous night.

After doing all this, I stopped to reflect again on my day and my surprisingly calm response to all the obstacles that came my way that day—and I began laughing to myself, and laughing at myself too. It dawned on me how everything that had happened was going to happen regardless: the flat tire, difficulty getting to the spare, having to walk to and fro for and air pump. jack and tire sealant, etc. etc. But my disposition was the only thing that was different. I could have cursed and wailed the whole time and probably had given myself a headache, allowing myself to become stressed out. But instead I calmly did precisely what each moment, as it arose, needed—nothing more, nothing less.

And so I laughed at myself knowing how foolish I could have been, but how much easier it was by simply being adaptable to each situation rather than being rigid and unyielding. Where I go wrong it this: What makes me complain about things going not according to my plans is not circumstances, but rather my own clinging to an abstract projection of the future as I say it should be, regardless of the reality. And rather than adapting, I moan (verbally or to myself) which changes nothing. It reminded my of old Zhuang Zi’s rigid, unmoving pine tree versus the pliable willow tree and how both fared in the wind.

That day, my happiness was not dependent upon circumstances, but on my own inner disposition. As odd as it sounds, that day, where I spent half of it fixing a flat, was actually a very good and memorable day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In other words, I wanted to have my flat fixed, but I was not attached to the event. I did what needed to be done without a narrative in my head saying 'This shouldn't be happening like this.' If I had been running about with that commentary in my head I would have an attachment to an idea of how I thought things ought to be. Attachment comes from getting too caught up in how you think OUGHT to be. And that comes from that narrative in the head which is separating you from the actual matter at hand-- you aren't present with the flat, but with an idea of a truck that has no flat. This is just mindlessly chasing an illusion. And we do this all the time, wandering in samsara rather than the simple reality before us. Mindfulness in this context then is the opposite of attachment. Or, attachment is what prevents us from being mindful.
    lobsterLucy_BegoodSillyPutty
  • PatrPatr Veteran
    Abandoning all desires
    chela said:

Skillful Desire

Abandoning all desires is the way taught by the Buddha for all Bhikkus. This is the most straightforward path for the practice for enlightenment. The middle way is not going to extremes to achieve that.

A Bhikku must take over 200 precepts, and more importantly have the mental readiness to sever all attachments before ordination. Some monks do the opposite thinking they can overcome their attachments after ordination, this is very very difficult to achieve.

The middle way here means moderation once on the path, it does not mean abandoning all attachments is extreme in itself, merely moderation in trying to achieve abandonment of all desires. Moderation in reaching for the correct state of mind.

This is where the precepts help out as a guide for a monks lifestyle. Moderation in practice, not as the methods the Buddha tried, when he followed the Indian Yogis and which did not lead him to enlightenment

And yes, one has to drop all attachments to be a successful monk, otherwise we wont see all the scandals erupting. This has to do with repressed desires, a case of the roots still sprouting weeds...........

• PatrPatr Veteran
    Sorry , pressed wrong button, all came out bold.
  • That day, my happiness was not dependent upon circumstances, but on my own inner disposition. As odd as it sounds, that day, where I spent half of it fixing a flat, was actually a very good and memorable day.
    Sounds wonderful. Which is quite ordinary after a while . . .
    Missing out on some fantasy experience? Having a good day fixing a tyre?

Where did you think Nirvana was? At a rock concert? Up a mountain?
    As soon as I fix this drain, I can enjoy myself . . .
    I do hear drain fixing parties are all the celebrity rage now . . . OK not yet . . . if they were, kids would be begging their neighbours to clean their drains . . . :)

Inner disposition. Don't sit or stand for anything less. :clap:
    riverflowLucy_Begood
  • lobster said:

Where did you think Nirvana was? At a rock concert? Up a mountain?
    As soon as I fix this drain, I can enjoy myself . . .

It's always just around the corner, isn't it? Ha!

• riverflowriverflow Veteran
    edited March 2013

'Where, then, lies the mistake, since all people crave the happy life? It is that they regard the means for producing happiness as happiness itself, and, while seeking happiness, they are really fleeing from it. For although the sum and substance of the happy life is unalloyed freedom from care, and though the secret of such freedom is unshaken confidence, yet men gather together that which causes worry, and, while travelling life’s treacherous road, not only have burdens to bear, but even draw burdens to themselves; hence they recede father and farther from the achievement of that which they seek, and the more effort they expend, the more they hinder themselves and are set back. This is what happens when you hurry through a maze; the faster you go, the worse you are entangled.' ~Seneca
    lobsterLucy_Begood
  • OP you can drop and lose the attachment to things but you don't have to literally cut all of then out of your life. Monks and nuns use computers to help various people and make videos sometimes, yet they are often not attached to it. Again I come back to my most spoken phrase on this entire board, find the middle way. In Buddhism and meditation it is like holding a beautiful a fragile bird in 2 hands, if you hold it too tight it will cause the bird harm and may even die, if you hold it too loosely then it may just fly away never to be seen again. At different times different amounts of pressure will need to be give to this bird varying on what the situation is, is it relaxed and barely moving, or frantically trying to get away. This is one was I see meditation and attachments in Buddhism.
    riverflowLucy_Begoodchela
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited March 2013
    desire is neither good, nor bad in itself. attachment arises due to the feeling of possession, which arises because of initially considering the body and mind as 'I' - so attachment is unskillful.
    riverflowchelaNancyRose
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    For one thing, if you really dropped ALL attachments, you would simply whither away-- you would die.
    I don't think that is the case. The Buddha was free from all attachments but still lived for another 40ish years! Simply because someone eats food and keeps their body healthy, does not necessarily mean they are "attached" to it. He didn't re-attach himself to anything when he came out of the ascetic life into the middle way. :)
    riverflow
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    chela said:

...the idea of non-attachment to the extreme.

"Drop all attachments, as any attachment leads to dukkha."

I relate to 'attachment' less as a distinct object and more as an overall outlook.
    So, I don't see it as dropping an attachment or a particular attachment to this or that.

Rather, by understanding how we become attached, we may better understand the cause:effect:cause etc.

This I think relieves the pressure caused by attachment and allows one to better appreciate the burdens that are otherwise assumed to be obligatory.
    riverflow
  • chela said:

Skillful Desire

That the idea of non-attachment has been taken to the extreme simply means it is not the middle path. Not all attachment leads to dukkha, in fact being attached to your loved ones is blissful; only when the loved ones are detached from us does it cause dukkha. The idea should be able to detached oneself from something that should not be attached to and probably, it is the idea of being detached from something that wasn't attached to us in the first place, if you know what I mean.
    chela