Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Indifference is the right way

Hate is one extreme; love is another.

There are many, many things to hate about ourselves and the world. But hate is unpleasant and won't solve anything. Love is a silly sentiment - honestly, there is nothing to love in this world of brutality and greed. Even otherwise, love is such a foolish idea - love what, exactly? the trees, the clouds? Children can do that. It won't lead to liberation.

Indifference is the middle path, the path of the Buddha, the way of liberation. Even if one sees a starving child or a cancer patient (or read about untold destruction due to tsunami or some such tragedy), one should maintain a stern indifference and NOT be overwhelmed by love, grief, etc. That will only keep us attached to this world.

Perfect detachment is enlightenment.

Comments

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Um, how does indifference help with compassionate action?
  • robotrobot Veteran
    edited May 2013
    You should take a holiday to Canada some time @music. It seems like India is not doing it for you. I guess I have a better understanding of why we have such a large south Asian community here. Sounds like a real hell hole over there.
    As for your advice on how to view the middle way, I'll have to give it some more thought
    misecmisc1
  • BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    Right before I logged on and read this post, I thougt to myself, "You get out of it what you put into it." Well.......
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    I'm not convinced that indifference leads us to compassion or understanding of inter-being. It seems to be that not caring about anything, including ourselves, it the opposite of compassion.

Indifference
    Noun
    Lack of interest, concern, or sympathy: "his pretended indifference to criticism".
    Synonyms
    unconcern - apathy - nonchalance - listlessness

Compassion
    Noun
    Sympathetic pity and concern for the sufferings or misfortunes of others: "the victims should be treated with compassion".
    Synonyms
    pity - mercy - sympathy - commiseration - ruth - clemency
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    edited May 2013
    If indifference is the right way, why did Buddha teach compassion for all things? Right action? Right speech? While these may not be "love", they are still elements that we all need to receive as well as give.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Why do you want to be indifferent? Do you think it will prevent you from getting hurt?
    personVastmind
  • Um, how does indifference help with compassionate action?

Well, it is equanimity rather than indifference which helps with compassionate action. It is said that (apart from pity) grief is also a near enemy of compassion. Jack Kornfield in The Buddhist Path and Social Responsibility explains it as follows:

"Another near enemy of compassion is grief. Compassion is not grief. It is not an immersion in or identification with the suffering of others that leads to an anguished reaction. Compassion is the tender readiness of the heart to respond to one's own or another's pain without grief or resentment or aversion. It is the wish to dissipate suffering. Compassion embraces those experiencing sorrow, and eliminates cruelty from the mind."

Therefore, equanimity can work to prevent or help us abandon the unwholesome qualities of grief which may arise instead of true compassion. Joan Halifax Roshi explains it quite well, as follows:

"... equanimity is the perfect partner of compassion. Equanimity is the stability of mind that allows us to be present with an open heart no matter how wonderful or difficult conditions are... Equanimity is the capacity to be in touch with suffering and at the same time not be swept away by it. It is the strong back that supports the soft front of compassion. These interdependent qualities are the foundation for effective work with suffering. Equanimity allows us that radiant calm, peace, and trust that receive the world and at the same time make it possible for us to let go of the world."
    riverflowperson
  • Just a gentle reminder: Buddha never taught compassion. These ideas are later interpolations.
  • misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited May 2013
    robot said:

You should take a holiday to Canada some time @music. It seems like India is not doing it for you. I guess I have a better understanding of why we have such a large south Asian community here. Sounds like a real hell hole over there.
    As for your advice on how to view the middle way, I'll have to give it some more thought

@robot: i am from india, so i marked your comment with LOL.

my native city is in North India and is considered as a religious city.

as far as North India is considered, it is nice. i have been to South India as well, and my experience of my stay in South India was also nice.
    edited May 2013
    music said:

Just a gentle reminder: Buddha never taught compassion. These ideas are later interpolations.

@music: Buddha strived for finding the ending of suffering not for himself only, but for all sentient beings. after Buddha's enlightenment, if Buddha was not compassionate, then he would not have taught the Dhamma to any sentient being, so Buddha taught Dhamma to other sentient beings as a compassionate action towards other sentient beings.
    riverflowpersonkarmabluespegembara
  • edited May 2013
    ^Again, another gentle reminder: This thread is about the Buddhist idea of indifference, so let us keep our focus on that alone. Thanks.
  • music said:

Just a gentle reminder: Buddha never taught compassion. These ideas are later interpolations.

@music: Buddha strived for finding the ending of suffering not for himself only, but for all sentient beings. after enlightenment, if Buddha was not compassionate, then he would not have taught the Dhamma to any sentient being. so teaching Dhamma was itself a compassionate action.
    Teaching wasn't an act of compassion. It was a necessity. He was a young man when he became enlightened, so teaching would have been a good way to kill time until he attained parinirvana.
    person
  • edited May 2013
    Jason said:

music said:

Nonsense. There are numerous references to compassion (karuna) and the other three brahmaviharas throughout the Suttas and their Agama counterparts preserved in Chinese, and the form an important part of the path.
    Maybe so, but I am only referring to salvific teaching. In christianity, for instance, good works are recommended, but it is only faith that saves.
    music said:

Jason said:

music said:

Nonsense. There are numerous references to compassion (karuna) and the other three brahmaviharas throughout the Suttas and their Agama counterparts preserved in Chinese, and the form an important part of the path.
    Maybe so, but I am only referring to salvific teaching. In christianity, for instance, good works are recommended, but it is only faith that saves.
    my thinking says: dude, whichever spiritual path you walk on, if it does not have kindness, generosity, compassion, equanimity etc, then it will be a path having only selfish qualities, which will only add up to ego, and till ego remains, ignorance will remain and till ignorance remains, the end objective of spiritual path shall not be reached - because all spiritual paths, if they are spiritual, should lead to destruction of ignorance inside the person, who is walking on that spiritual path.

metta to you and all sentient beings.
    lobsterDaftChrispersonkarmablues
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran
    Music, this is a Buddhist forum, and I beg to differ with you but while faith in salvic teaching saves, the body of salvic literature says again and again to "put on love of God" and that Jesus the Christ said" I am Love", so He advocated Love by example according to some Christian practices. So no, indifference to love is not part of all christian practice by any means.

Love, with all emotion, is a mix of left and right brain input, not just left brain.
  • poptartpoptart Veteran
    Music, in all the time I have studied Buddhism I have never heard anyone say that indifference is the goal of enlightenment. What you are thinking of is equanimity, an acceptance of all things with calm composure.

To be indifferent is to turn away from the world, the opposite of Buddhist doctrine which teaches to turn towards all things.
    riverflowpersonvinlyn
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    The removal of hate automatically gives rise to loving kindness. If your indifference doesn't bring forth this love, it's still based on a subtle form of hate/aversion. I hope you trust me and others when we say, indifference is not the way.
    riverflowkarmablues
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited May 2013
    music said:

Actually it's the grace of God that saves, and men can't know the mind of God and thus can't know upon whom He bestows His grace. Evangelical Protestant Christianity isn't the most theologically sound of Christian traditions and has a lot to answer for. Also, Buddha wasn't a saviour figure, he was more of a doctor.

Anyway, you're right in that we shouldn't really love or hate (I personally don't like the word love, too vague, but that's tangential). Hate is extreme aversion, love (I suppose) is extreme attachment.

However what you're proposing sounds more like the Vulcans from Star Trek, suppressing our emotions and acting purely logically. Good in theory, but we aren't Vulcan, as humans suppressing emotion causes mental anguish. Thus, as the Buddha taught, we should cultivate a kind heart alongside detachment from the mundane world, because kindness leads to peace of mind whereas indifference can lead to feelings of guilt if we later regret not acting when we could have.

lobsterriverflow
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    The graves are full of indifferent people. Until it's time for you to join them, the Middle Way that the Buddha taught advises you to engage with the world.

I believe I see your problem. You think love is an extreme, the opposite of hate. That's wrong. A person can love and hate something at the same time.

It is, in fact, indifference that is the opposite of love.

To not care anything one way or another for someone else is to say they're not even worthy of your attention. It reduces people to objects and ignores their own worth as a suffering, struggling human being.

But you might simply be struggling with a language that can't handle the concept of non-attachment very well. As @jamesthegiant points out, perhaps equanimity is the better term.

lobsterriverflowDaftChrisperson
  • Cinorjer said:

I believe I see your problem. You think love is an extreme, the opposite of hate. That's wrong. A person can love and hate something at the same time.

To not care anything one way or another for someone else is to say they're not even worthy of your attention. It reduces people to objects and ignores their own worth as a suffering, struggling human being.

This is why I don't like the word love. Because love can be extreme, it can be obsessional, it can be intense and the source of great anguish when the object of our love is denied us.
    Love is a word used for so many emotional states and modes of action that it's practically meaningless.

SillyPuttyCinorjerriverflow
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    This thread is about the Buddhist idea of indifference,
    @music -- No one here seems indifferent to indifference, so I guess that by your lights we are none of us very good Buddhists...

Thank goodness!
    riverflow
  • John_SpencerJohn_Spencer Veteran
    edited May 2013
    Chrysalid said:

Cinorjer said:

This is why I don't like the word love. Because love can be extreme, it can be obsessional, it can be intense and the source of great anguish when the object of our love is denied us.

Love is a word used for so many emotional states and modes of action that it's practically meaningless.

I disagree. You cannot love and hate at the same time. You can be attached and hate at the same time.

Nor can love be obsessional. You can be attached and obsessional but love doesn't obsess.

lobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Chrysalid said:

Cinorjer said:

I disagree. You cannot love and hate at the same time. You can be attached and hate at the same time.

Nor can love be obsessional. You can be attached and obsessional but love doesn't obsess.

This may make you chuckle, but when I was a kid back in the late 1950s or very early 1960s, I actually remember a television show where they were interviewing Dr. Joyce Brothers. Now I'm not saying how correct she was, but she said that there is very little difference between love and hate, that they are both extreme emotions, but at opposite ends of the spectrum, and that it can be very easy for love to flip over into hate.
    riverflowSillyPuttyJeffreykarmablues
  • Attachment can flip over into hate.

Love can't because it isn't based on any conditions being met.

There isn't anything to 'flip' it.
    JeffreykarmablueslobsterTheEccentric
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    When love is used in the everyday world it seems to traditionally be referring to romantic love, perhaps what Buddhism would call attachment.

In religious terms the love we usually talk about means wishing for a beings happiness and well being.

Certainly the two can overlap and the best type of romantic love has more in common with the latter than the former, but I think a discussion about love can get confused by this distinction in definition.
    riverflowpoptartkarmablueslobster
  • Copying and pasting from another thread, because I am lazy, but it is relevant here:

I'd say that when talking about love, English just won't cut it, so we have to make some distinctions. Unconditional love, as I understand it, is compassion (agape, or caritas). And the reason the qualification is necessary is because in English, the word "love" is more often used in the sense of romanic love (eros, or amor).

So:

1. Unconditional love = compassion = agape = caritas (where we get "charity" in the ORIGINAL sense of the word, which has also been degraded) = karuna = impersonal

2. "Love" = romantic love (in most cases) = eros = amor = personal

I wouldn't go so far as to say romantic love is "bad" per se, but it can easily lead to some inner confusion because of its link to sexual desire. And familial love (philia in the Greek) also is a conditional love (conditioned by blood relations). There are many other kinds of love one could say too, such as love of country, or of one's race, or one's political affiliation. All of these conditioned loves are tied to desire, various kinds of attachment.

Of course, the Beatles song wouldn't sound as cool if the chorus went "All you need is unconditional love!" would it? haha

Personally I prefer to just say "compassion" rather than [unconditional] love -- just saying "love" -- certainly in English -- is incapable of expressing it.
    personkarmablues
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Attachment can flip over into hate.

Love can't because it isn't based on any conditions being met.

There isn't anything to 'flip' it.

Love it.

Be confused about the differences between mundane and spiritual.
    Call compassion Love.
    Sensuality? - high dharma drama.

Nothing can oppose Love.
    Love Nothing

:clap:
    SillyPuttyriverflowStraight_Man