Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Training the mind

mockeymindmockeymind Veteran
edited April 2015 in Buddhism Basics

Sometimes I wonder how to be consistent of making the mind non-reactive, non-judgemental and to see things just as they are. Found this pic before meditating this morning. May all beings be happy.

ShoshinZendoLord84Buddhadragon

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    @mockeymind you can't make the mind do anything. Because it's a bundle of thoughts(ego) trying to make thoughts change.
    The act on conditioning from out environments.

What you need to do is remain as awareness(this is what's non judgemental) it simply observes. Even including watching your mind.

Then the mind loses power. It's only when your mind tried to change your mind do you have an issue.
    Just be aware and watch.
    Buddhadragon
  • Trungpa Rinpoche wrote a book about the lojong slogans called 'Training the Mind'. The lojong basically uses concepts to uproot concepts.

Buddhadragon
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I think things will improve when I stop trying to improve them.

lobsterShoshinHamsakaBuddhadragon
  • @how --Making the mind consistently non reactive to its own conditioning, can only be done with this present moment's phenomena data stream. Can you do that?

I am a work-in-process. I can't claim that I can maintain it fully (that quality of mindfulness) all I know is that I try to see my mind reactive capacity in every present moment not to react to what is unfolding. To see it clearly, that its like a mirror - that doesn't impacted to what is shown or reflected, not to judge but to just recognize the experience as it is. Just paying attention on how I pay attention.

It is the stage I am fighting with my own Mara from the Egoistic point of view. This is what I'm trying to get rid in meditation. EGO

JeffreyEarthninja
  • you can't make the mind do anything. Because it's a bundle of thoughts(ego) trying to make thoughts change.

You only have to be aware at all times that is indeed the case.

Mindfulness is the path to the deathless.
    Heedlessness is the path to death.
    The mindful do not die.
    But the heedless are as if dead already.

lobsterEarthninja
  • @genkaku said:
    I think things will improve when I stop trying to improve them.

:)

Oh them Taoist Zenniths. :p

Mara is us. Nirvana=samsara. Ego is natural. Egoism is part of our hindrances.
    Glad you have a regular practice @mockeymind <3

Ignore the unimprovable, they may improve. o:)

mockeymindBuddhadragon
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@how said:

Trying to get rid of Mara is simply inviting Mara to dance with you..

Love it!

Earthninja
  • I read one Dharma talk about after the enlightenment of the Buddha, Mara occasionally visits him. And the Buddha didn't do anything. He didn't make Mara disappear or confronted, What he just said is - Mara I see you - I know you. There is power in knowing our deepest thoughts, of what they are and specially how they manifest.

I just hope that I could face my own and just say - I could see you, I know you. For I believe that it is only by facing your deepest "mara" will freedom is possible.

Earthninjasilver
  • EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran
    The good thing like you said @mockeymind.

You don't have to try and transcend the mind. Just watch it. Just like Mara.

You don't have to fight a battle if there is only one army .
    Buddhadragon