Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting meditation

edited March 2011 in Meditation
So, I've looked through the other threads and can't seem to find an answer. I want to begin meditating, but I'm not sure how to start. Is there a proper way to sit, what is the goal, proper techniques, etc. Basically, what are the fundamentals? Thanks.

Comments

• Sit down.

Breathe in, knowing you are breathing in.

Breathe out, knowing you are breathing out.

As your mind wanders from the experience of breathing and you become aware it has wandered, return to observing the breath without judgement or analysis.

Your mind may not want to cooperate with this simple activity as it will see it as no action at all. Completely normal. Just keep at it as a daily practice.

Best wishes.
  • My experience was attending a Buddhist centre, joining a group meditation session which had a teaching emphasis. At times, many years later I still return to using the simple mantra of focusing on the words peace then release given as a suggestion to aid concentration to the in breath and then the outbreath at my first class .... for me it has been a simple yet very difficult learning process - no rights or wrongs, lots of experiences and development
  • I second buddhajunkie's recommendation.