Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation while traveling or with guests in the house

elenagreeneelenagreene Explorer
edited March 2011 in Meditation
I normally meditate early in the morning, before anyone else in the household is up, in the same quiet spot in the house. I've been pretty consistent this way but I find it hard to meditate with others around (except in a meditation class). So when we're traveling it's a problem.

When we're in a hotel room (there are 4 of us) I could dress in the dark, sneak out and look for a quiet spot in the lobby (or outdoors if it's safe and warm enough). When visiting relatives, I could meditate in their living room, though sometimes I would be interrupted and I doubt they would understand why it is important to sit around doing nothing. At home my meditation space is in the guest bedroom, so when guests come, I could go elsewhere.

I have options, yet often I don't use them. If the conditions aren't right or I think I might be interrupted, I feel reluctant to meditate. And yet I miss it. I will be traveling again soon. Any suggestions for how to meditate away from my usual space?

Comments

• It sounds like a lot of the problem is having the right feeling. Partly due to being viewed as strange. I am socially awkward and one thing I long for is a schtick I can use in social situations so I am not the weird guy who doesn't talk. Surprise since online I post in all kinds of threads haha.

So if you are able to put together a schtick about meditation. Some kind of story or what not. And then in conjunction with that I wonder if you could have some kind of physical thing that reminds you of your connection to the dharma to inspire you.

Like a music player that plays 'zen' CD or something. Your schtick story could be 'you know I got into this I was needing an ability relax. Its like a pool settling when a stone is splashed in'. A little story. And then they hear this relaxing low volume sound and the connection comes with help of zen penetrating into western culture as relaxing.

The music might be distracting but then again it might be ok. Not that I have done anything like this but I am in a creative mood today.
  • You might try playing with your relationship to meditation. During my 10 day Vipassana retreat, I had the following realization which helped me with my practice:

"'Meditation' is not primarily an activity that you perform for a limited period of time. Not meditating is an activity that you perform for a limited period of time. Meditating is living. Just the breath. In and out. Simple. Lifeaffirming. Non-judgemental and accepting. "

We can't always do a formal sitting practice. That shouldn't stop us from meditating.

Hope that helps!
  • I was on this business trip once and a bunch of us guys went sighseeing on the last day. That included a drive to a small town and an hour walk. I meditated for the most part of that walk and I don't think anyone had any clue-- guess they just figured I wanted some time alone after all the work (which was also true :) ).

My point is that while traditional style sitting alone in a quiet place may be very helpful, it is not required. Ideally, like Kunga pointed out, meditation should become life. Since it seems like you've been at it for a while, you might want to experiment and depart from the sit-alone-in-silence form.
  • At home, make a backup space in you garage. This is my normal space and it works well.

Away from home, try a car. If you dont have a car, you can sit in a hotel lobby with a cap on and pretend you are reading a magazine.

Finally, you van do walking meditation. If you prefer to pace slowly back and forth, then hold a cell phone to your head and it will look like your involved in a conversation.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    I find it helps to utterly ignore all of the noise around you. You still hear it, but it is just background noise at best, none if it needs to actually get through. downside is when someone tries talking to me I might not respond unless they say my name, heh.
  • Why is being a meditator something to keep in the closet? Be OUT about it! Openness and honesty about who you are is a worthy objective.
  • ^^^
    Wanting privacy is not the same thing as being "in the closet."

I like taking long hot showers... but not in public!

Being in public can be a huge distraction when meditating. It can also foster a stronger ego if you start thinking of yourself being a "meditator" and the bystanders being "non-meditators."
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!
  • Thanks for your ideas, everyone!

Jeffrey, I like the idea of bringing something along to remind me. Not sure what yet, I don't have an IPOD for music or a Buddha statue I could bring.

Kunga, I agree with trying to bring mindfulness into everyday life. But maybe because I'm relatively new to this (about six months) I find the formal practice helps me with the everyday mindfulness. Kind of like warming up on scales before playing the real piece. Just 10 minutes can make a big difference.

Shadowleaver and Buddhajunkie, I love the idea of a walking meditation. I think I will try that.

Letitgo, in my case it's not so much being embarrassed or self-conscious but not wanting to be interrupted. Also, when I'm in a public space I like to keep some level of awareness of what is going on around me, for reasons of safety. It might be easier with a walking meditation. I may try that.

• There are few occasions when I think the 'smartphone' has added much to society
    but it's a wonderful device for a Buddhist IMHO, rather than a distraction:

These days you can sit anywhere with the earphones in, and people aren't at all curious. I can play an mp3 of a sadhana, read the text of a sutra, focus on a thangka or picture of a deity, or even just play 'white noise' to cut out surrounding disturbances. Even if you don't have a cellphone, just having some earphones in is a sign that you wish not to be disturbed.

I used to think using the 'smartphone' at the gym was really antisocial, but now I plug in and meditate during the 'cardio' bike or treadmill session, and chat when doing the rest of the workout. Long train or plane journeys are great times to meditate.

I would never use earphones whilst jogging outdoors though, even on country lanes - too many cars and cyclists these days, and you can't rely on them seeing you. I even know somebody who used a cashpoint and was unaware of the mugger folowing her home - our hearing can protect us.

As an alternative to the cellphone I use my car. I have a little shrine, some incense and the CD player, which means I can perform sadhanas and meditate without disturbing anyone, especially on a long motorway drive when I can just 'zone out', close my eyes and .............. just joking. :)
  • Yeshe, my Stone Age cell phone isn't good for anything but talking, but those are some cool uses. LOL on the driving meditation!

Thanks everyone for helping me think more creatively about this.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I sometimes meditate on the toilet. It works pretty well I must say.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    Elenagreen,

Great work on the meditation practice! Its wonderful to hear a question like yours, and I can understand how a meditation free from distraction can be very nourishing to our mindful awareness.

There is a story I was told by one of my teachers that I think might help a little. He traveled to a different sangha to teach meditation, and that particular location had lots of flies. When he first sat, he noticed that he was distracted from his focus by one particular fly that was crawling on his face and arms. I believe he described it as assiduous... and we both laughed.

But, instead of continuing to feel at odds with this fly, he simply accepted that the fly was there, he was there, and together they were meditating. Then, as the fly was crawling on him, it increased his present moment awareness... he wasn't attempting to 'escape' into a place of 'calm' and 'mindlessness' but rather became still through the simple observation of what was really there with him. Each step of the crawling fly became a loud and helpful reminder of where he was, what his body had around it.

In this same theme, I would consider your environmental influences to be part of the daily dose of 'what is' and rather than seeking escape, it is a good opportunity to notice the differences in your mind between 'invaded safe meditation practice' and 'sitting alone in your normal house space'.

Of course, there is no reason to sacrifice your own peace if you find yourself unable, but consider meditation amidst distraction as potently nourishing to our mindfulness, almost like a halfway step between the cushion and the outside world. Remember, the practice isn't to sit and feel bliss, but to bring the mindfulness that occurs alongside the bliss to the people we love. Hopefully that's everyone... especially the flies!

With warmth,

Matt
  • Thanks, Matt. I see the wisdom in what you say. I'm also feeling some resistance because I like having a little time alone every day. And I'm generally a much nicer person when I get it! I will try to look for my openings but accept whatever happens.
  • Great points, well written, Matt. Quiet, secluded meditation is wonderful. It is a different experience than meditation in a temple/center/ashram/etc. It is a different experience in the forest, and the beach. Getting to a mindful, meditative state in more and more of your life is a wise aspiration if you choose this. And whatever your practice is, it is what it is, and that is the practice.
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran

At one point I was considering teaching Vipassana meditation to inmates in the prison system. It is a known fact that meditation in prison is particularly difficult. It is NEVER quiet. I felt in order to empathize and teach this I needed to experience it, so I began deliberately meditating in noisy places. I changed my meditation from early at home to early at work. I arrive at my desk early and meditate there with all the office noise going on around me. Eventually you tune it out. What Zayl said. I have even deliberately meditated at the DMV while waiting for my number to be called (several hours), now that is clearly as noisy as a prison, and it was a delightful experience. Practice... put yourself in noisy situations, it may be tough at first, but soon you'll realize you can block all that out... Then you can meditate ANYWHERE!
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    When I'm traveling and want to meditate, I look for the nearest church. They're usually open during the day, quiet, and people just think you're praying or something. As long as your meditation practise doesn't involve prostrations or anything!
  • The key isn't trying to take your meditation practice and quarantine it. I would recommend taking your meditation practice and expanding it into everything that you do. That does not mean be super-duper concentrated and serious about everything you do, haha. What you need to do is understand that Buddhism is really the science of the mind. Every time you meditate, your job is to recognize when you mind enters into an unwholesome state (the five hindrances - anger, lust, laziness, restlessness, or uncertainty), let go of the thinking, relax that tension and tightness in your mind and in your body, and return to your object of meditation. If you can begin to practice this simple meditation, you will begin to fully enjoy it, and you won't have to worry about how or where you will practice it, because you will be practicing it all the time :). Good luck. :). :).
  • Thanks, Lesc, James the Giant and Tikal2012 for your ideas. LesC, I agree with the point of dealing with distracting noises, my problem is not so much that as worrying about being interrupted. James, I usually travel with my disabled husband and two kids, so I have to find ways to meditate while remaining accessible if they need me. But the idea of meditating in a church may be useful in other cases. Tikal2012, I know what you mean by practicing all the time and I am working toward that. I am still so much of a beginner that it really helps to get some formal, relatively uninterrupted practice in as well.

I just completed a round of traveling, staying with relatives part of the time, the rest in a hotel. It went so much better than earlier. The key was this time I let go of hoping to have my usual meditation experience and just did whatever I could. I managed to do some sitting meditation early in the morning, was interrupted once but did not allow it to throw me. I also practiced some walking meditation and even some while swimming (breath awareness works well with that). It helped with some of the stresses of traveling and dealing with the, um, quirks of relatives.
  • Haha, don't worry, you'll get it eventually. The meditation that the Buddha taught is certainly instantly effective, it just takes some practice to understand exactly how it works, and how to apply it. I'm sure you'll get there. Good luck. :):)
  • elenagreeneelenagreene Explorer
    edited April 2011
    Thanks, Tikal. :)

I forgot to mention another thing I did that worked for me: bringing along some favorite books on Buddhist teachings. In some circumstances (like on a plane ride) mindful reading is easier for me than meditation and has many of the same good effects.