Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Our sleepy disturbed mind

edited March 2011 in Meditation
Eating too much food makes our mind sleepy during meditation.Earth element based food(potato, bread ect.) give us a sleepy mind and so does eating too much meat and drinking milk.Hot weather can cause us to have a sleepy mind.Wearing too many clothes during meditation is the source of a sleepy mind.If our pulse is weak and we are tired,we would have a sleepy mind during meditation.
Too little food causes a disturbed mind.Fire element based food such as chilli and pungent food does the same.Eating only vegetables and driking tea and coffee disturbs our mind.Bright lights and breathing only through the right nostril can cause our minds to be disturbed.A strong pulse and the mental poison of greed and hate give us a disturbed mind.

Having known some of the conditions leading to a sleepy and disturbed mind, one should take the middle course of action that is avoiding the extremes.This is cure by prevention

Bending the neck slightly forward will lead to a greater upward flow of energy thus counteracting sleepiness.Leaning the spine(still in a straight position) a little backwards reduces the energy and may tame the restless mind.

What causes a sleepy and disturbed mind based on your school of Buddhism and what are the cures.?
Do the cures really help to overcome a sleepy or a disturbed mind?
What works best for you to overcome these two states of mind?

This would be my last post here.It's my bad karma.

Comments

• Deepak you post very knowledgeable and practical information.i think u do the meditation with very interst.
  • each person needs a certain amount of sleep to function throughout the day. now that number varies with each person. so the best thing you can do is for one week force yourself to get up with 5 hours of sleep, then the next week 6 hours, etc. and then you'll find out how many hours of sleep you need.

of course there are lots of other variables that you need to think about. say if you have a job or if you do a lot of things.

meditation should in theory make you less tired and more awake.

so either you're physically tired or you're mentally shutting down to avoid things from popping up during meditation.
    have you had trauma or do you have repressed memories of some sort? when babies are over stimulated they tend to go to sleep. the same thing happens for adults. when we subconsciously cause ourselves to sleep because we don't want to deal with mental objects that form during meditation there might be a problem.

either talk to someone about it aka therapy. or just keep meditating until it all pours out.

another thing you can do is incorporate walking meditation with your sitting meditation. and if you keep getting tired have a bowl of water next to you and a towel. splash your face a couple of times then go back to meditation.

or keep a bell next to you, so when you get tired you can ring it.

or keep a rubber band on your wrists, so when you get tired you can pull it.

also remember this. even when we sleep there is awareness. so you can meditate while sleeping as well. try to stay awake as long as you can as your body goes to sleep. =]

good luck.
  • Deepak you post very knowledgeable and practical information.i think u do the meditation with very interst.
    Ok, I'll respond to you Yogi Yogi. Everything I know belongs to the Buddha.I stole from Him.How I wish I could steal everything from Him.And yes, I do constant meditation.I hope that you would too without giving up.

Even though you are still unachieved in full enlightenment,you are the same as the holy being because every being has his own nature of Buddhahood without uniting with any other Buddha.By meditating on the holy beings many times, the grace of the holy beings in full enlightenment will be bestowed on you.Whatever you think of, will surely appear to you one day.I hope Buddha will appear to you soon.Then you would not want to miss meditation even for a single day.I am not giving you any false hope.

All the best.

Om Po Ru Lan Cher Li.

• Hello Deepak
    PL write me the ways to keep mindful all the day
  • Ok,no problem at all.Send me an email(bapoo92@yahoo.com).
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Wonderful thread!