Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

so I was meditating

Seeker567Seeker567 Explorer
edited March 2011 in Meditation
so I was meditating by a pond yesterday (my usual meditation spot) and had kind of a realization. I was meditating on the non self, and came to compare life/the mind as water. I realized to an unawakened mind (scientifically), the reflections made in the water would appear to be real. but we all know that it just mirroring what it "sees" persay. the true nature of water (no reflections around) is pure and still, almos nothing at all. it simply is. second, a seed fell into the pond from the tree I was under, I noticed that it rippled. but I also saw that as the waves went outward, the inside remained calm. this could be like events that happen in life. we get swept up in the waves, where if we learn to simply stay in the middle, we'll find true stillness. any comments? :)

Comments

• TakuanTakuan Veteran

Be like water, my friend.
  • awesome I love burce lee lol I've never heard this
  • so did you wake up?
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    If you like this, you should read some of his books. They're mostly on martial thought but are quite interesting.
  • so did you wake up?
    what do you mean?
  • idk from what you were writing, it seemed you might of had a satori. a brief awakening into reality.

if you did you would know for sure, so i'm assuming not. either way keep doing what you're doing. =]
  • I defiantly felt different..better and more aware then ever before. but it didn't last more than a few hours
  • This reminds me that sometimes when I meditate I feel more aware of my surroundings and the subtle differences in common objects in my room.
  • I feel connected and aware to nature usually
  • The point is that really this mind of ours is naturally peaceful. It's still and calm like a leaf that is not being blown about by the wind. But if the wind blows then it flutters. It does that because of the wind. And so with the mind it's because of these moods - getting caught up with thoughts. If the mind didn't get lost in these moods it wouldn't flutter about. If it understood the nature of thoughts it would just stay still. This is called the natural state of the mind. And why we have come to practice now is to see the mind in this original state. We think that the mind itself is actually pleasurable or peaceful. But really the mind has not created any real pleasure or pain. These thoughts have come and tricked it and it has got caught up in them. So we really have to come and train our minds in order to grow in wisdom. So that we understand the true nature of thoughts rather than just following them blindly.

The mind is naturally peaceful. It's in order to understand just this much that we have come together to do this difficult practice of meditation.

http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Training_this_Mind1.php
  • We experience thoughts, but we do not own them. They are simply mental arising. Form from emptiness. Temporary coming and going.

Rest in the looking. Look in the resting.
  • edited March 2011
    This reminds me of a realization I had while camping alone trying to get back to nature for a bit.

I had this feeling come over me and it felt like my body became one with the earth. In that moment this overwhelming thought came into my mind. It was that my life and struggles are me living in my head which is the opposite of experiencing nature (I know my mind is nature but, I mean the outside world meaning of the word nature). The thought was that, as long as I'm being selfish in my head and thinking about me; I'm not thinking and being aware of what is around me and I therefore suffer.

I realized I didn't have to get outside my house or the city to be one with nature and do good in the world. I just needed to uses my senses to feel the world instead of being so wrapped up in my own thoughts.

I hope this kind of goes with your thoughts, don't want to hijack your thread. This thought and feeling has stuck very well with me for five weeks now so, maybe it was a Satori as someone suggested.