Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samadhi and the stages of the Boddhisattva Path

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited March 2011 in Philosophy
Recently someone posted a thread about Jhana, and someone in the thread posted a link to a Dhamma talk by Ajahn Brahmmavamso describing and detailing the different stages and how to develop them. I've been reading the discussion and finding it very informative.

I'm wondering, however, where the development of the Jhanas and Samadhi plays into the Boddhisattva path, and if there is any difference between the Theravada practice for developing Jhana and the Mahayana.

He also states that even at the first Jhana there is no longer any sensory distraction, and only loud noise can directly force you out of the experience. I meditate with my eyes open, however, so I didn't know if when trying to acheive Jhana I should keep my eyes shut or if the effects of Samadhi are strong enough to make this aspect moot.

I've attached the document for reference.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Hi

My understanding is jhana is not directly related to the Mahayana path. The Mahayana path is developing bodhicitta, that is, the ultruistic intention to save/help others.

Where as jhana is part of the Hinayana path, that is, to save oneself.

Although Mahayana states a Boddhisattva Path should not neglect the intention to complete the Hinayana path, my understanding is jhana is not related to the Mahayana path itself.

The Hinayana path is like going to university, to obtain a teaching degree.

Where as the Mahayana path is like using a teaching degree to teach others.

That is my understanding.

So if your mind can develop jhana, this will make your appearence radiant & disposition joyful, which can help you inspire others.

With metta

:)
  • WhoknowsWhoknows Australia Veteran
    The jhanas are in the Bodhisattva path, they're just not emphasised as such. Look at the descriptions of the various stages of the Bodhisattva path (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bhūmi_(Buddhism)) and you should see some common ground with the jhana meditations. For instance the forth ground is called "radiant", compare that to the "stream" of the early teachings associated with jhana meditation. IMO the commonality between the different so called vehicles is significant.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Talisman,

Whatever you experience in meditation will make you grow. I wouldn't make too much of a fuss about the so called differences in different vehicles, just drive your own personal vehicle. ;)

About cultivating love towards others, Ajahn Brahm says you can also enter a jhana through loving kindness meditation if you are experienced enough.

I think it is better to meditate eyes closed to reduce sensory input, makes it much easier to fully focus on the breath.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Pema Chodron said the five things that vipassana meditation cultivates:

1 patience 2 clear seeing 2 sitting with the worst states 4 being in the emergent present moment and 5 no big deal..

Look at the last one!