Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suttra references for Meditation Techniques

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited March 2011 in Meditation
Just looking for references dealing specifically with Samatha and methods for developing concentration. I am interested in both Pali and Sanskrit sources.

Thanks guys :om:

Comments

• Anapanasati sutra
    What would you say is the difference between the Anapanasati sutta and the Satipatthana sutta?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Bumped for Mindfulness..... :)
  • hehe thanks fede
  • What would you say is the difference between the Anapanasati sutta and the Satipatthana sutta?
    There is a big difference, which you can find in reading them.

Feelings in SS are all feelings where as feelings in AS are just rapture & happiness.

The last satipatthana in SS is a collection of unrelated dhammas where as in the AS it is experiencing impermanence & nirvana (i.e., vipassana).

Many learned Buddhists, even including conservative monks such as Ajahn Sujato, hold the Buddha did not speak the SS and it was added into the scriptures later.

The SS is simply a list of disconnected teachings of the Buddha, lumped in together. It does not follow the sequential logic used by the Buddha.

:)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2011
    Just looking for references dealing specifically with Samatha and methods for developing concentration. I am interested in both Pali and Sanskrit sources.
    Dvedhavitakka Sutta: Two Sorts of Thinking

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.019.than.html

Maha-Rahulovada Sutta: The Greater Exhortation to Rahula

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.062.than.html

Maha-cattarisaka Sutta: The Great Forty

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.117.than.html

:om:
  • Thanks for the links and commentary. I printed off SS earlier but havent started reading it yet. Starting with Anapanasati.
  • What would you say is the difference between the Anapanasati sutta and the Satipatthana sutta?
    There is a big difference, which you can find in reading them.

Feelings in SS are all feelings where as feelings in AS are just rapture & happiness.

The last satipatthana in SS is a collection of unrelated dhammas where as in the AS it is experiencing impermanence & nirvana (i.e., vipassana).

Many learned Buddhists, even including conservative monks such as Ajahn Sujato, hold the Buddha did not speak the SS and it was added into the scriptures later.

The SS is simply a list of disconnected teachings of the Buddha, lumped in together. It does not follow the sequential logic used by the Buddha.

:)
    Here's my impression:

AS is the pattern one might follow if he/she were at a 10-day retreat, whereas SS is more useful for a, say, 40-minute sitting.

I say this partly because it seems that AS has jhanna one of the steps.

Similarly, the "disconnected teachings" of the SS seems to actually be quite useful since, as Gunaratana said, you can't control what your mind is going to do. Thus, the Four References are exactly that, just references and not steps.

I'm not much of a Pali scholar, so I would appreciate any feedback here on the AS vs. SS debate. Also, if you have some links that would be great.
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I agree. AS seems to have a progressive structure whereas SS seems to be a lot of stuff bundled together. I view SS as a list of techniques for developing mindfulness off the cushion, whereas AS describes a progression of meditative states.

P
  • pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Dwelling at Savatthi... "Monks, the ending of the effluents is for one who knows & sees, I tell you, not for one who does not know & does not see. For one who knows what & sees what is there the ending of effluents? 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such is perception, such its origination, such its disappearance. Such are fabrications, such their origination, such their disappearance. Such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.' The ending of the effluents is for one who knows in this way & sees in this way.

Upanisa Sutta: Prerequisites

That is vipassana- observing appearance and disappearance of the aggregates from moment to moment.

As for samatha there are 40 samatha kammatthana bhavana
    http://www.wisdomlib.org/definition/samatha-kammatthana-bhavana/index.html
    but anapanasati comes highly recommended by the Buddha himself.