Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tantra

edited April 2011 in Philosophy
In a tantra practice will it ok and will more fruitful results with own wife/husband or with any other urs friend?
and can we do practice tantra with our like minded friends

Comments

• If you're talking about tantric sex, I think you're on the wrong forum here.

I think it would do everyone a lot of good if everyone realized that the visualizations and practices of tantra in the Buddhist sense are essentially different forms of shamata and vipassana in the first place.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    In a tantra practice will it ok and will more fruitful results with own wife/husband or with any other urs friend?
    and can we do practice tantra with our like minded friends
    Do you actually know what real Tantra is ? Your making it sounds like foolish new agers who think its an excuse for an orgie.
  • Tantra |ˈtəntrə; ˈtan-|
    noun
    a Hindu or Buddhist mystical or ritual text, dating from the 6th to the 13th centuries.
    • adherence to the doctrines or principles of the tantras, involving mantras, meditation, yoga, and ritual.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    yogi2,

If you are interested in tantra, consider finding an authentic, lineaged teacher. Its not very helpful to discuss specifics before a lot of ground is cleared.

Good luck,

Matt
  • Tantric practices require specific initiations preceded by extensive teachings. Beyond that, tantric practices involve a range of activities other than sex, such as visualizing oneself as a deity and so forth. The reason why tantric practices require specific initiations is because they are considered dangerous for the uninitiated. Tantra can be practiced with no sexual element whatsoever. If the OP is referencing only sexual tantra, IMO this is absurd and reflects deep ignorance.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    If everyone is ok with this, I will close this thread, but hope yogi2 will contact me to re-open it, should they so wish, in order to clarify, expand and discuss, if necessary.

Many thanks to all those who contributed.
    I must say, when I first saw the first post on its own, I decided to steer clear and not touch it with a barge-pole. Glad I did....
This discussion has been closed.