Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Went to my first Temple.

edited April 2011 in Sanghas
I just wanted to share with others my experience at my first temple visit. I have been putting this off for a while until I got alcohol out of my life which I have now done. Even though I'm logical, like the fundamentals, and think Theravada maybe for me the Shambala center here in town appealed to me. I knew there would be new people and they would be friendly and more like me, new to this.

I showed up at 9AM and did 45 minutes of sitting mediation, 15 minutes of walking repeated 3 times for a total of 3 hours. It sounds like a long time but, it passed as though it was 30 minutes. It was so wonderful and much easier than trying to motivate myself at home. Afterwords I approached some people, asked questions and everyone was wonderful. What was I so afraid of to put this off for so long?

I just wanted to share how great and positive this was so, others like me putting off going might be encouraged to go put yourself out there. I recently had to end friendships and ex-communicate family members due to their bad influence, drinking and drug usage. It was great to meet some wonderful new people and now I have a date with a wonderful girl who considers herself Buddhist!

With metta,

Doug

Comments

• I'm so glad you took the plunge to get involved with a Sangha. We are social animals, and live contact helps so much in a practice.
  • I went to my first last Sunday, it was great. Excited to go again, all I did was ask ABOUT the cost of an all day meditation, the person I asked must have seen that I would have been unable to go so they paid the $30 registration fee. I know $30? but its to pay for the woman leading the meditations plane ticket from California.