Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Matisyahu.

TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existenceSamsara Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
I am liking this guy a lot. Any recommendations on an album?

Comments

• Hmm I have never heard of him, but it sounds quite nice. :)
  • His first album, Shake Off the Dust...Arise (not Live at Stubb's, despite what Sony Music would have you believe) is nothing short of incredible. Unfortunately, one the whole, he hasn't come close to the caliber of that material since. After signing with Sony he lost some of the things that made him so unique, such as the Hasidic chanting, and his music got less reggae and more rock in order to make it more palatable to the general public.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran
    Yeah I love this guy's earlier stuff. Anything reggae-ish sounding I generally like anyway.
  • Bodha8Bodha8 Veteran
    Yeah I love this guy's earlier stuff.

yo
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Yeah I love this guy's earlier stuff. Anything reggae-ish sounding I generally like anyway.
    Any good artists/links you can provide for Reggae stuff?
  • steel pulse: Not King James Version
  • Matisyahu rocks, but I agree in that his earlier stuff was much better and his latest album was almost devoid of the reggae he was known for in the beginning.

As for Reggae suggestions, I'd add Augustus Pablo (he used the Melodica in his music, which is surprisingly nice), The Aggrolites (more current band, not roots reggae, but still good), Burning Spear, the classic Reggae staple: Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs, and the list goes on and on.

• SOJA - Soldiers of Jah Army. They're incredible! My favorite modern Reggae group.
  • Yes, I love Matisyahu's early stuff. Only in Brooklyn, NY will one find a Jewish Reggae artist... I think? LOL!! Anyway... I like this guy too... for his spiritual content and funky vibes!

• Wait, how do you imbed videos? I'm going to have to read up.

• VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Certainly, sorry for the late reply. Here are just some examples of what I like, generally very laid-back and easy to listen to music that still holds a message. These songs in particular I enjoy when I'm feeling lazy during the day and the most ambitious project I may take on might be sitting in the sun or watching clouds.

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Certainly, sorry for the late reply. Here are just some examples of what I like, generally very laid-back and easy to listen to music that still holds a message. These songs in particular I enjoy when I'm feeling lazy during the day and the most ambitious project I may take on might be sitting in the sun or watching clouds.

Beautiful!
    Thank you!
    And it's okay!
    Thanks for responding!
  • I agree that SOJA and Groundation are wonderful. Great suggestions indeed.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Thanks for all the comments and posts. Here is one of my favorites:

Sometimes I lay under the moon
    And I thank God I'm breathin'
    Then I pray don't take me soon
    'Cause I am here for a reason

Sometimes in my tears I drown
    But I never let it get me down
    So when negativity surrounds
    I know someday it'll all turn around because

All my life I been waitin' for
    I been prayin' for, for the people to say
    That we don't want to fight no more
    They'll be no more wars
    And our children will play, one day

It's not about win or lose 'cause we all lose
    When they feed on the souls of the innocent blood
    Drenched pavement keep on movin'
    Though the waters stay ragin'

And in this life you may lose your way
    It might drive you crazy
    But don't let it phase you, no way

Sometimes in my tears I drown
    But I never let it get me down
    So when negativity surrounds
    I know someday it'll all turn around because

All my life I been waitin' for
    I been prayin' for, for the people to say
    That we don't want to fight no more
    They'll be no more wars
    And our children will play, one day

One day this all will change
    Treat people the same
    Stop with the violence down with the hate
    One day we'll all be free and proud
    To be under the same sun
    Singing songs of freedom like
  • That was good! Thank you.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm sorry, I have to say it.... every time I see this thread title, I feel like saying "Bless you!"
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Gesundheit!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Oh, you see what I mean.....?! :)
    edited May 2011
    Well I just ordered Shake off the dust...arise, Live At Stubb's Vol. 1 & 2, Light and Youth. Looking forward to them :D
  • Shake Off the Dust... is absolutely stunning. I'd easily place it in my top ten albums of the past decade.