Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meaning behind the Endless Knot...

edited April 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Random topic. I recently went to a shop where they sell crystals and zafu's and salt rock lamps (im working on creating a meditation spot in the house!) and i came cross this flag type wall hanging and it had a hand stitched symbol for a endless knot on it. I was standing there staring at it when the assitant said it was a symbol to define the process of reincarnation. has anyone else heard this?

I always thought it was a sign of wisdom? Im just really curious now.
bgm

Comments

• SabreSabre Veteran
    It has different meanings I believe. The intertwine of wisdom and compassion for example, but also the endless samsara.
  • An endless knot.... it means you will be endlessly untying it. Aha! It's a metaphor for life.
    bgm
  • er.. what nevermind, you're talking about the tibetan prayer flags right? One of the eight auspicious symbols? Look it up on wikipedia. There is a lengthy bit of info there. The woman was right, but it means other things too.
  • I think it is related to time.
  • i started to google it and then saw the same thing there too lots of different meanings - Malachy, it was on a flag. They had a selection of mantra's on there too. I was impressed that I saw so much cool stuff in the one shop normally i resort to the online route! As I was looking at it i thought that would make a wicked tattoo, but guess I need to find out what it means first.

Vincenzi, i thought it was wisdom and the continuation of time too.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I have a necklet pendant in the shape of the eternal knot, and I'm going to have it copied in gold, for my partner and me instead of wedding rings.....
  • @federica I like that idea. I'm always trying to talk people into considering alternative stones for their wedding rings (....Blood Diamond scarred me), so a necklace with the auspicious symbol for infinite compassion is nice symbolism and it's something different.
  • edited April 2011
    The endless knot is a Tibetan Buddhist symbol.It isn't, to my knowledge, used in Theravada or other Mahayana traditions.

"One of the eight traditional symbols of Buddhism is Shrivatsa, the endless knot. Also known as the "auspicious knot" (or, glorious knot, Tib. pal biu) it represents the Buddha's heart, the essence of which is bodhicitta, ("awakened mind" or, universal compassion) and thus, the Mahayana.

Various interpretations are given for its meaning.

It may have originated in the crossbeams of a temple, and it certainly does resemble the four arched poles that cross to support the felt cover of a central Asian tent, yurt or Mongolian ger In that case, we could say that it represents the ultimate Refuge.

In Mongolia, it is called Olzii Utas or Happiness Knot, and it is believed to bring long life and prosperity, and afford protection from wild animals and evil spirits. It has become a popular motif to applique on a curtain, bag or apron.

It can also stand for karmic consequences: pull here, something happens over there. It is also an apt symbol for the methods of Vajrayana: often when we tug at one part of a knot while trying to loosen it, another part gets tighter. Sometimes you have to work with the knot to get it to come undone.

In its endless configuration, it evokes the cyclic nature of rebirth and calls to mind karmic connections.

In Hindu mythology, it is associated with Lord Vishnu. Robert Beer, in The Encyclopedia of Tibetan Symbols and Motifs (Shambhala Publications, 1999) points out that the mark or curl on the chest of Vishnu is called shrivasta, which actually means "beloved of Lakshmi" his consort. Lakshmi, goddess of wealth or prosperity is also known as Shri (short for "Our Lady") so she is also our Lady Luck. Hence the endlessly intertwined seal is not only a mark of general auspiciousness but also, of personal happiness."

http://www.khandro.net/objects_nets and knots.htm