Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Unexpected bodily distractions arising during breath meditation

edited April 2011 in Meditation
Two questions regarding things that come up during breath meditation practice:

1) Sometimes I try to turn my gaze downward toward either the tip of the nose, or the navel; with the eyelids shut; as some instruction says this helps. For whatever reason, I can't seem to keep the eye muscles in that position; it is very comfortable and helps concentration for some moments; and then the muscles start to twitch/flicker and the eyelids want to open.

Does anyone have an experience like this, and are there any suggestions as to why this happens?

2) Sometimes when I am practicing breath meditation, I find a sense of giggling. This is not unpleasant, and does not really break my concentration too much, but it does make the breath a bit hard to watch because it's shaky.

Does anyone have an experience like this, and what did you do about it?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    Every statue I have ever seen of the Buddha meditating, he seems to have his eyes open. I personally fix a place on the floor between a metre and two metres away from me.
    I find it helps, and there's nothing wrong with doing that.

Giggling? No.
    But try focussing on something else, like how your body feels sat on the floor, and connecting/disconnecting with your clothing as you breathe in and out.
    Giggling is often a nervous reaction to a sentiment you're uncomfortable with. (Like laughing when you hear bad news.... Laughter and crying are very similarly-triggered reactions....)
    Any reason why you might want to giggle?
    Any mental discomfort?
    Don't say anything here, it's just a question to provoke an observation in you....
  • Thanks Federica!

Actually the giggling seems to be related to an overall sense of well-being, happiness and contentment... it doesn't always happen, but when it does I'm not sure what I should do about it.
  • Bodily sensations sometimes take over my consciousness during meditation too, but if I'm able to just watch them and let them all "flow" and pass, as I do with thoughts, then it's easier to stay present and focused.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Thanks Federica!

Actually the giggling seems to be related to an overall sense of well-being, happiness and contentment... it doesn't always happen, but when it does I'm not sure what I should do about it.
    Good.
    Then - giggle.
    Observe the giggling without attachment, observe the overall sense of peace and contentment, then bring your Mind back to centre, and simply breathe.
    :)
  • Thanks guys! :)
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hi Kchoo,

I had the eyelids flicker thing, but it is temporal. It will pass over time. (and then usually another problem comes to replace it, hahaha ;) ) Just watch the behavior of your eyelids for a while without becoming annoyed by it or keep your eyes open and close them again when you feel comfortable. This worked for me personally.

I personally find it much easier eyes closed because keeping your eyes open adds another distraction. To me keeping your eyes open is just like turning on rock music while meditating ;) . But a lot of people in certain traditions meditate with their eyes open. I don't know exactly why they do it this way, but I guess it is also possible.

The giggly thing I don't know. :)

I hope you have fun on the meditation cushion!

Metta,
    Sabre