Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Meditation and Demon Possession

In the past I have read many articles by Christain writers warning people away from that meditation. These people believe that it leaves your mind open to demon possession. :hair:

This scares me. Christains always do suceed in scaring me. And so I need to know I am safe from evil influences on my mind before I begin mediation.

I did a search and found something. that said we should kill a demon(or buddah) should we encounter one during mediation because it is all just a trick of the mind anyway. But I don't imagine encountering a demon in that way.

I am thinking more of a formless invisable distructive spirt invading my soul like a virus. I don't know how to protect myself from possible possession.

I am not sure if the Buddahist believe in demons or in possession, but I do. So I am hoping maybe someone here can provide me with some words of encouragement or reassurance.

thanks.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    The writers that you read are talking absolute rubbish. They are also ignorant of the fact that meditation has been at the heart of all faiths, including Christianity. Theirs is a mentality of fear and poverty which is far more harmful than anything that any so called demon can do. You do not need to fear any such thing as demonic possession when meditating, or when not meditating come to that. The saying about killing the Buddha by the way is about killing any ideas we have of what it is to be enlightened.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    If meditating does cause this - then I'm all for demon possession.

So far, my demons help me relax, focus, arise feeling peaceful and aware of my surrounding. They make me feel compassion for people that I really used to hate. They make me more grateful for the loved ones in my life. They encourage me to do more for my fellow human beings. They help me remove attachments and labels that I have in my life and regarding other people I interact with.

Bring on the demons!

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    :lol: Sadhu buddhafoot!!! :lol:
  • edited January 2006
    The writers that you read are talking absolute rubbish. They are also ignorant of the fact that meditation has been at the heart of all faiths, including Christianity. Theirs is a mentality of fear and poverty which is far more harmful than anything that any so called demon can do. You do not need to fear any such thing as demonic possession when meditating, or when not meditating come to that. The saying about killing the Buddha by the way is about killing any ideas we have of what it is to be enlightened.
    I also thought the saying about killing the Buddha was talking about ridding yourself of all attachents you have, even the attachment to the teachings of Buddha?
  • edited January 2006
    In a sense yes, because most of our attachments are based on our ideas or concepts of how things should be, rather than what actually is. So Buddhism asks us to deal with the root - the tendency to misinterpret concepts as reality, rather than to supress healthy and natural desires or aspects of ourselves.

This incidentally is precisely one reason why fundamentalists, ignorant of both the history of their own faith and meditation in general, are so very frightened of anything that shines light on the root causes of suffering - the human mind. Once we admit that the cause of suffering is not out there, and cannot be conveniently blamed on a demon or circumstance, we have the choice to either face reality as it is and ourselves as we are, or to damage ourselves through a deliberate effort of ignorance, which is what fundamentalism is. Thus we do try to kill the life of the True Buddha, the one who this moment is reading these words and why fundamentalism is so profoundly anti spiritual.
  • edited January 2006
    Would meditation not protect from possession as you learn to master your mind and demons go for weaker willed individuals?
    edited January 2006
    Bob,

It could - but I think zenmonk hit the nail between the eyes.

There are some faiths that have found that the best followers are those who, either by statements or scriptures, do not use their mind.

Why allow for free thinking and the ability to question. Why harness your own inner strength or develop wisdom when you can have someone TELL you what to think.

I've heard this preached to me many times that "meditatation allowed for evil spirits to take control of your mind" or the same thing with being hypnotized. I've even heard of one Catholic fellow who used to have demons attack him in his bed at night and one of their names was Om.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    Many of my Pagan friends tell me Christianity has usurped many of their concepts and symbols and demonised them (quite literally)

But zenmonk is also right when he says that this is a fundamentalist action and people of all faiths meditate.

Interesting that religion is a vehicle for the control of others when its central tenant (in my opinion) is control over oneself
  • edited January 2006
    Theirs is a mentality of fear and poverty which is far more harmful than anything that any so called demon can do

Amen to that! I am attempting to break free of this programming.

Thank you all for your responses. It was helpful. I have begun meditation.
    edited January 2006
    Amen to that! I am attempting to break free of this programming.

Thank you all for your responses. It was helpful. I have begun meditation.

Now....

If you do try meditating and do get possessed by a demon you have agreed, as per the agreement of this site, to not hold newbuddhist.com responsible along with it's participating members. Nor will you seek any legal relief. If you do choose to bring a case against newbuddhist.com or any of it's participating members, you will assume the responsibility of all legal costs incurred by said site and members.

Just in case you didn't read the fine print.

Good luck!

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    LOL, buddhafoot.
    Shootingstar67, you're a brave and intelligent person. I, too, was apprehensive about starting my meditation practice. But not because of demons. I don't believe we can become possessed by demons. I don't believe in demons in the Christian sense at all. I was more worried about my own psychological demons. I'm not worried about that anymore.
    My heart goes out to those who gave you this misinformation. I've lived in fear. It's a horrible place to live. I wish I could hold them in my arms, soothe their worries and comfort them. I can't hold them physically, but I can hold them in my heart. I'll do that as I meditate. Thank you for reminding me about the fear in which so many of us live. You've given me another way to help myself.
    With great love and respect,
    Brigid.
  • edited March 2006
    Much of our meditation practices are pretty weak, so demons do not bother us. But they do exist; and will try to interfer, distort etc. when one gets some samadhi power developed.

If you wish to explain them away as only our own mind, so be it. But there are folks mad as hatters from psychic forces; whether these forces are impersonal, personal, inner, outer, both or neither, matters not a whit.

Study chapter 8 of the Shurangama sutra for some guidance.
    http://www.buddhistdoor.com/resources/sutras/shurangama/sources/shuran8.htm

Better yet buy the separate volume 8 with the commentary of Meditation Master Hsuan Hua.
    http://www.bttsonline.org/product.aspx?pid=6

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Will wrote:

If you wish to explain them away as only our own mind, so be it. But there are folks mad as hatters from psychic forces; whether these forces are impersonal, personal, inner, outer, both or neither, matters not a whit.

....."A little Respect, a little Reverence, for the things you cannot see....."

I refuse to discount anything as either impossible or unlikely....
    Perception may well often be DEception, but when it's not yours, permit others to live by their Truths.

Thanks, Will.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Will wrote:
    Much of our meditation practices are pretty weak, so demons do not bother us. But they do exist; and will try to interfer, distort etc. when one gets some samadhi power developed.

Study chapter 8 of the Shurangama sutra for some guidance.
    http://www.buddhistdoor.com/resources/sutras/shurangama/sources/shuran8.htm

Better yet buy the separate volume 8 with the commentary of Meditation Master Hsuan Hua.
    http://www.bttsonline.org/product.aspx?pid=6

Oh, my. I immediately believed this, Will, even though I have strong fears of the unknown and would much prefer my demons to be of the psychological kind. But I've just realized something very important to me.

Before I had the Dharma to direct my spiritual thoughts I used to slip into an abyss of panic attacks that were severe and detrimental to my life. I was O.K. with any kind of mundane horror but when it came to the larger spiritual questions my mind would spin out of control.

I came to Buddhism looking for a way to avoid having to come back to the earth and all of its suffering. I was in the midst of suffering deeply and felt that I just couldn't take anymore.

But as I progressed in my learning and practice I slowly started to feel a self confidence I have never felt before. I've felt strong and powerful in my heart, but I've never had the confidence in my abilities to cope with emotional panic. Grief, no matter how deep, is fine, an old friend in fact. But panic is my hell.

As I started my crawl on the Path within 6 months my panic had mellowed and today as I walk I not only feel that I could handle another go round on this planet, but I could handle almost any other realm as well. Primarily because there is no choice. LOL! But it doesn't freak me out in the disempowered way it used to.

I came to Buddhism to avoid suffering and now I feel this incredible confidence in me so strongly. I want to strengthen myself every moment of every day and become immune to to the childish fears I had. I want to be so strong that I can help others that are panicked and disempowered. Nirvana is a nice idea but I'd rather stay and help once I'm able because deep down I have this undeniable feeling that I really can. I tell myself to keep going, keep going, and pretty soon you're going to be able to pull your own weight and finally be productive instead of the quivering, sobbing mess that you were.

So, when I read your post, I was expecting some panic to rise but it didn't. If I can handle my panic disorder, the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life, I can handle anything. But if my meditation ever progresses that far I'll surely have a teacher by then. And with a good teacher and the Dharma I'll be ready for any battle. I'm invigorated and chomping at the bit to get going. Nothing in this world could have transformed me in this way other than The Buddha, The Dharma and The Sangha. Refuge was exactly what I needed and I can only imagine how much stronger and peaceful I will be in a few more years form now.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid,

Sounds like you have gained solid insights. A sincere selfless compassion for all, guru, refuge, and a Dharma infused mind-heart will take one, safely, far along the Path.