Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Discerning the wise

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
In what way has the Buddha instructed us to discern the Wise from the Ignorant or Foolish?

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    direct seeing. wise and foolish are in relation to a situation and not a being. a saint can become a sinner in a flash. and a wiseman a fool. the buddhas wisdom was not made up of a wise essence. that is how it was true wisdom.
  • I think that that is too vague @Jeffrey

There are those who are wise, though they may be few and far between. Those who have walked the path, who have reached the shore, who preach the true dharma for the sake of all sentient beings. These are the ones from whome I wish to learn.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    I'd say a good teacher is somebody who inspires you and practices what he/she preaches.
  • edited April 2011
    In what way has the Buddha instructed us to discern the Wise from the Ignorant or Foolish?
    I would think a few quotations from the scriptures would cover this. I don't know the scriptures well enough to do that, but I'm sure others will come along and do it.

• Talisman, another way of saying this is that there are no enlightened beings only enlightened activity. I think Shunryu Suzuki.
  • when you poke them they usually laugh. if not high five them and move on.
  • Talisman, another way of saying this is that there are no enlightened beings only enlightened activity. I think Shunryu Suzuki.
    Regarding "Absolute" truth, yes this is the case as all things proposed as "beings" are really only the culmination of many functions and "activities."

However, for the sake of "Conventional" truth, there are indeed enlightened beings. Who else are we to turn to for refuge and guidance.
  • What, only two categories>? Does that mean that you belong to one of them, or do you exist in a void?
  • good point
  • edited April 2011
    Chapter 5 of the Dhammapada describes the foolish.
  • What, only two categories>? Does that mean that you belong to one of them, or do you exist in a void?
    What are you referring to?
  • I'd say a good teacher is somebody who practices what he/she preaches.
    Such a teacher is very hard to find, in my experience, a needle in a haystack (or, perhaps, a precious gem in a haystack...).

• In what way has the Buddha instructed us to discern the Wise from the Ignorant or Foolish?
    Thank you. I think the question asks for something more definitive than personal opinions.

• In what way has the Buddha instructed us to discern the Wise from the Ignorant or Foolish?
    Thanks for the link