Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Life statement

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    Did we have any choice?
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!
    I like him.
    What do others think about Chomsky?
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Chomsky's great, I wish we could've seen more of this lecture.
  • Personal opinion- Chomsky is probably the leading American philosopher alive right now. He used to teach linguistics, but apparently branched out when he felt the need. He certainly has distinctly liberal political opinions.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    Yeah, he's the 8th most quoted person in human history, also in the top 10 is Plato, Marx and the bible.
  • I think Chomsky's always been both: linguist and philosopher/political radical. He's also Russian (did you know that, Leon?). Before being processed through Ellis Island, his name was Хомский (Khom-sky).
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I like Chomsky. Here IMO he is quite correct. In the same vein is Erikson's Integrity vs. Despair
    http://www.webster.edu/~woolflm/lrerikson.html
  • Thank you for introducing Chomsky to me.
    Plenty more lectures on u tube.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    You might enjoy this one if you're interested in anarchist viewpoints or what's behind the criticism of Israel and the US together.

Just a shot in the dark, just wathced it myself

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/10171/life-statement#Item_9
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I think Chomsky's always been both: linguist and philosopher/political radical. He's also Russian (did you know that, Leon?). Before being processed through Ellis Island, his name was Хомский (Khom-sky).
    Yea, I did know that he was Russian.
    I am Ukrainian!:) Some would argue if it is the same thing:)