Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

'Into It' Website design versus 'apache programming in php' Website design

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
As I mentioned previously, I am looking into designing a website for documenting and providing resources for my mental illness. I hope to learn the needed skills about web design that will allow me to design a website for a small business perhaps as a paying postion. But the first goal is to get my own website up.

Have you heard of into it (probably one word) web design and how do you think it compares to apache with XAMPP. Intoit costs 15 dollars roughly a month is all I know but it would be faster than learning the php for apache.

Thanks,

Jeff

Comments

• ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited April 2011
    You don't have to learn php! You don't even have to learn HTML!

Sounds like what you're after is something like Joomla. http://www.joomla.org/

There is a distinction between web design and web development, by the way. PHP is for web development, you don't need it at all for what you're doing. Although Joomla uses PHP, you don't have to even look at it.
  • May I ask what web design is! :hair:
  • well, that's the visual aspect of it... what goes where and how it all fits together. If you look at the forum, you can see the design of it, but you can't see the inner workings. The actual web development would be the source code of the Vanilla forum software and all that complicated database stuff that will make you want to pull your hair out if you were to do it from scratch.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm So the web design is the visual appeal I take it. Are there some functions like a comments section where visitors may write a comment that is only possible with web design? Or make some functionality for a penpal section such as listing names with a button that bounces to e-mail, but not the actual e-mail address. Second if I want to design a website for pay to a small business, I would need web design?

I appreciate your help by the way.
  • Ignore the web design vs web development thing.

If you could provide more detail about what you're after, I might be able to help a little better.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The first desire is to build a website with content that is not linear. A web within the web ie links going to various sections of the website. I want to also have a penpal feature where users can post a name and short description with a function that bounces them to a users e-mail without divulging the actual address. I also want a button for user feedback at various places.

I want my own intellectual property and the ability to link off site. I want advertisements to alternative therapies with the proceeds to mental health charities. I will have to arrange that part with providers. Perhaps my own business selling things is an option.

I do not want somebody elses advertisements.

A second goal is to start a business making web pages for small businesses. The reason I want to do this is so I can work at home. My disability gets much worse when I am away from home amongst people and confusion.
  • well, you won't find anyone who will do all that for you for $15. For $15 the most they'll give you is a generic webpage you could do yourself in 10 minutes.

Joomla seems like the best way to go for this. You don't have to advertise them, it's free (as in speech, not as in beer) software, so you're free to use it how you see fit.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I recommend heading over to Wordpress.com or Blogger.com and setting up an account.
  • Don't you think his project sounds a bit too ambitious for a blog?
  • I'm assuming the web design business needs me to learn php?
  • I'll probably open a joomla account for now and learn php in the mean time. Or Blogger.
  • Jeffery, I think if you want to work in web design you need to understand HTML, CSS and JavaScript... and perhaps a bit of photoshop. PHP is something you'd get into towards the end. Be careful though, it's hard to find client for web design work... mostly because it is so accessible to everyone.
  • Thanks for the caution. It may be hard, but there just aren't a lot of jobs out there that you may work at home and be your own boss. I don't need to pay bills with the work, I just want something to do! So its a fit.

Ok work is cut out for me! More to read. Did I mention I also want the website in spanish and I need to learn that. Hahahahahahahha I am crazy!
  • lol, don't take on so much at once.
  • Yeah deadline website design and spanish by July. Just kidding. :p