Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

SMOKING

edited January 2006 in General Banter
best way to quit if you cant buy gum or a patch? sheer will power?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Hypnosis sorted me out !
    It only took a couple of sessions and I stopped smoking for several years, I didn't even have any cravings. I did however lapse back into it a bit later but even then I still didn't have any cravings so it was dead easy to stop again.

I should add that I do like the occasional Cuban cigar on special occasions !
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Besides dipping everyone of your cigarette butts in a pile of doggy-doo (before smoking it, that is) would be to find an activity that you can do that keeps you away from smokes, occupies your time, makes you want to give up smokes to that you can become better at what you're doing, etc.

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    hey thanks guys! i've heard self hypnosis is good, but i dont think i wanna go that route, ill probably end up trying something new, writing more, working on a new book, or meditating more, the news might be good too....maybe.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    What kind of writing do you do?

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    poetry
  • best way to quit if you cant buy gum or a patch? sheer will power?
    Rubber band on the wrist.
    cigarette thought=snap and slight pain
  • GlowGlow Veteran
    Best way to go about breaking any habit, no matter what method you end up choosing, is to remember that it will suck and just allow it to be sucky. Accept the suckiness of the situation whenever you have a craving. This can take the edge off the "struggle" with a craving. When you don't make an enemy of the craving and accept it as the logical result of your commitment to quitting smoking, you'll have a better chance.
  • Two things worked for me.

1. Roll up a piece of white paper into the size of a cig and just hold it all day for a week or whatever.

2. Go on net and get a few pics of messed up cancer and smoker's lungs. Put on ref., in bathroom mirror, car dashboard, etc.

Good Luck! You gotta do it! :thumbup:
  • edited January 2011
    best way to quit if you cant buy gum or a patch? sheer will power?
    You develop the habit of smoking, now you want to quit. So now, you must develop that habit of not-smoking. It's not going to be easy, but as Glow very eloquently says above: Accept the suckiness of the situation. :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Best way to go about breaking any habit, no matter what method you end up choosing, is to remember that it will suck and just allow it to be sucky. Accept the suckiness of the situation whenever you have a craving. This can take the edge off the "struggle" with a craving. When you don't make an enemy of the craving and accept it as the logical result of your commitment to quitting smoking, you'll have a better chance.
    ^this + i think what was most helpful for me is to just contemplate the true nature of the situation you find yourself in. that being, you caused your brain to form a chemical dependency on a substance and now you are able to see the true strength of such a thing. perhaps i am weird, but as much as quitting sucked (and still sucks every now and then), i actually found it incredibly interesting just because it was an addiction/craving i could nearly see. my craving for cigarettes was not hidden, it was so bold and in my face i couldn't pretend it wasn't there. in this life, we have a lot of cravings and addictions, but most of them we can't see so clearly. i learned a few things about myself and my brain when i quit smoking. mainly, that my will is stronger than a dumb chemical.

one other piece of advice... whatever you choose to do, don't take chantix. it made my girlfriend become crazy and unstable. i quit cold turkey and she took chantix... she only made it about 3 months (she was supposed to take it for a year) before i begged her to stop. it's not worth it, dude.
  • I wonder if Buddha smoke.
  • I managed to give up by watching the craving arise then feeling it as much as could and then watching it go again... the cravings werent as powerfull when i realised they only last for a couple of minutes
    also
    determination... just keep trying and dont be afraid to fail do somthing different each time and see what works and what does'nt
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    Quitting smoking can be done ... I quit a 30 year habit of heavy smoking cold turkey, using several techniques.
    1. I spent the first 3 days in a car ... a friend drove, and we stopped for washroom breaks, scenic views, short hikes, museums, meals, and sleeping. Apart from feeling a little fuzzy-headed, and the odd short-lived craving, there were no withdrawal symptoms.
    2. Starting at Day 1, I carried a water bottle with a pop-top. Everytime I wanted a smoke I told myself "I don't do that anymore", and took a suck off the bottle (nothing like an oral substitute, and especially one that clears toxins out of your system).
    3. Before I quit, I resolved that no matter how lousy I might feel, I was not going to let my unconscious blackmail me into starting up again. I would just live with it (if people can lie in bed with terminal cancer, surely I could survive a brief period of cravings). Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be relatively painless.

So good luck to you. If you ARE determined to quit, then you will.
  • edited January 2011
    For me, it was a large amount of exposure to it. I knew people that smoked nonstop. I was around them so much I got sick from it nearly. The smell made me sick and lightheaded. I don't suggest that, as it would be bad for your health. But just imagine the little benefit it has for you, and the great harm it does to you, people around, and the planet!

Peace
  • All I did was finish my last pack and decide that I was done.