Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Songs?

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
So, Christians have their Christian rock bands and such - or even songs that have Christian influences.

Any Buddhist bands? (Other than Buddhist chants and koto or Japanese kind of stuff?)

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This is an interesting question--would the precept against music play a role here? Maybe not. Tibetans have music groups. Not sure if the lyrics are mainly about their homeland, or if there are Buddhist lyrics.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Im sure there must be some Buddhust music, maybe this. I have'nt heard it by the way so I don't know what it sounds like.

http://www.level1peaceofmind.com/reviews-L1.html

Metta to all sentient beings
  • I like Ani Choying Drolma. She has such a pretty way of singing, and I believe she donates the money she makes, if I'm not mistaken.
  • ZaylZayl Veteran

Enjoy, this is very calming and the singer (I do not know who it is) has such a calm and serene voice that it almost sounds like the Green Tara is actually singing to you.
  • That is my favorite version of the Green Tara mantra I've heard! I listen to it all the time.
  • This is an interesting question--would the precept against music play a role here? Maybe not. Tibetans have music groups. Not sure if the lyrics are mainly about their homeland, or if there are Buddhist lyrics.
    wowow there is a precept against playing music ??
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    Van Morrison !

• This is an interesting question--would the precept against music play a role here? Maybe not. Tibetans have music groups. Not sure if the lyrics are mainly about their homeland, or if there are Buddhist lyrics.
    wowow there is a precept against playing music ??
    Yes for monks, it has been discussed before, if you want to read the posts link below.

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/9908/monks-against-musics/p1

• ZaylZayl Veteran
    Luckily, I'm not a monk so I'll enjoy my music ;)

• There should be a heavy metal band named Mara...

Oh, and Alanis Morissette had a song named "Eight Easy Steps", which I assumed to be a Buddhist reference, but not sure.
  • Buddhist Songs?

• I can see clearly now, the rain has gone. I can see all the obstacles in my way :)
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Buddhist Metal

• I don't know about this one.
  • looooool swaydam! That last video is awsome haha
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    looooool swaydam! That last video is awsome haha
    Your right that was great :clap: , the music reminded me of my youth, spent playing Japanese video games like Sonic the Hedgehog, similar type of music :D .

• Alejandro Escavedro practices Tibetan Buddhism, and Leonard Cohen is a Zen monk. Since the OP asked for songs, I really like Luciana Souza's cover of Cohen's "Here It Is".

Diana Krall's version of "Cry Me A River" isn't specifically Buddhist, but it's a good introduction to the idea that the things we want the most may be the things that cause the most suffering. :-)

There are videos of both on YouTube.
  • =) found this this morning, so joyful and chill!
  • Sorry they are kind of chants/song combined :D
  • I've always liked Bright Eyes -"Easy,Lucky,Free". It always seemed very uplifting to me like coming out of meditation. Cant beat the lyrics either.
  • Hey! New member here. just getting my bearings with defining my spiritual search and connecting it to Buddhism.
    I come here by way of song. my meditation practice is songwriting.
    I just wrote a song called 'All That Is" that seems to connect well with Buddhist philosophy.
    you can hear it here....

http://www.reverbnation.com/1soultoburn

here are the lyrics...
    All That Is

All the world’s a stage. The play is all the rage. In a golden age All that is is all divine
    All will come to know what it is that doesn’t show. So there you go.
    It’s all an act of God.

Verse 1
    Wherever we may draw the line, I wanna see the whole design, a clue, a sign
    All that is is all divine.
    Good and evil and peace and war. We’re only human or are we more? At the core
    We’re all an act of God.

Verse 2
    All is one and one is all. The rising up and the fall. Tear down the walls.
    All that is is all divine
    Alone in an infinite universe. Both the blessing and the curse. For better for worse
    It’s all an act of God.

Chorus

Verse 3
    It’s all one grand symphony. The dissonance and the harmony. Let it be.
    All that is is all divine
    When it seems to make no sense love will be your best defense when your up against it
    It’s all an act of God.

Verse 4
    If the devil’s confusing you, at some level you know what’s true. Change your point of view to All that is is all divine
    Just when you thought you’d nailed it down. That love is a verb and God is a noun.
    Look around. It’s all an act of God.

• (Jesse Colin Young)
    Darkness, Darkness, be my pillow, Take my head and let me sleep
    In the coolness of your shadow, In the silence of your deep
    Darkness, darkness, hide my yearning, For the things I cannot see
    Keep my mind from constant turning, To the things I cannot be
    Darkness, darkness, be my blanket, cover me with the endless night
    Take away the pain of knowing, fill the emptiness with light
    Emptiness with light now

Darkness, darkness, long and lonesome, Is the day that brings me here
    I have felt the edge of sadness, I have known the depths of fear
    Darkness, darkness, be my blanket, Cover me with the endless night