Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

General Banter filtered from home page

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator
edited April 2011 in NewBuddhist.com
I've removed "General Banter" from the "All Discussions" list to help re-focus the site on Buddhist-related topics. They are of course still available by selecting "General Banter" from the Categories list in the sidebar.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    Also, I've updated to the latest version of Vanilla Forums, which has added a few things like notifications that you'll see appear in the lower left corner as people message you or comment on your discussions. I've found them to be pretty great for keeping up with what's going on.

Apologies for any bumps we encounter along the way. I use the bleeding-edge version which means sometimes there are unaddressed problems still. Please post here or message/email me if you find any new bugs or problems.
  • I really like the notifications feature.
  • Sounds like a good idea. It'll probably save you and the other mods some support effort if you mention this prominently on the "post discussion" form.
  • Also, I've updated to the latest version of Vanilla Forums, which has added a few things like notifications that you'll see appear in the lower left corner as people message you or comment on your discussions. I've found them to be pretty great for keeping up with what's going on.

Apologies for any bumps we encounter along the way. I use the bleeding-edge version which means sometimes there are unaddressed problems still. Please post here or message/email me if you find any new bugs or problems.
    I could see a box letting me know about replies to me for the 30 sec.
    Then it has gone.
    I could not bring it back cruising on this site.
    I went out of it and tried to log again to see it.
    No luck.

Tell this computer imbecile, what I should do to have it back.

@tess You can see the same notifications by visiting your profile. Click your name in the navigation bar.
  • edited April 2011
    Thank you and sorry for being a pain.
  • I did and no box.
    I'm saying what's in the "Notifications" on your profile is the SAME as what was in the box. It won't re-activate the box.
  • sorry for taking your time and thanks
    No problem :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2011
    I'm not getting "new" comments to threads where people have added comments.
    They're at the top of the All Discussions index, but there's no (example)77 comments 5 New.... The "5 New" yellow box isn't a happening thing....

or am I not getting something....?
    (curiously, they exist further down the index, in threads I haven't checked, but in threads where I'm participating, there's no notification of new posts. Lotus or no lotus!)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    I'm not keen on taking "General Banter" threads off the main thread board. True, some of the topics are unrelated to Buddhism (and a little strange, sometimes), but some of the topics are relevant, and deserve to be readily visible on the main board. IMO. Just some initial feedback, after seeing how the new arrangement works.
  • I'm seeing the same thing.
    On the mobile view of the all-discussions page, it appears that there are notices about unread comments for threads I haven't read in a while. Threads I've read recently have no such notification, even when they do have new comments.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I'm not keen on taking "General Banter" threads off the main thread board. True, some of the topics are unrelated to Buddhism (and a little strange, sometimes), but some of the topics are relevant, and deserve to be readily visible on the main board. IMO. Just some initial feedback, after seeing how the new arrangement works.
    Contact Moderators about threads you feel should be put elsewhere. We can move them, if it's appropriate to do so.

Bear in mind though, that posters now have to choose where to put a thread. If it ends up in general banter - it's because the poster thought it should go there.

• Is this where new requests should go or do we still use the http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8499/welcome-to-newbuddhist-on-vanilla#Item_182 thread ?
  • I'm not keen on taking "General Banter" threads off the main thread board. True, some of the topics are unrelated to Buddhism (and a little strange, sometimes), but some of the topics are relevant, and deserve to be readily visible on the main board. IMO. Just some initial feedback, after seeing how the new arrangement works.

Going for a :coffee: but looking forward to see where this tread will go. :hiding:
    It's not going anywhere.
    Non-technical decisions about Forum management are never taken lightly. A lot of thought and discussion goes into them, and they're done with good reason.
    technical decisions are the premise of Admin, and Lincoln does whatever he can, and whatever makes life simpler in the long run.
    Is this where new requests should go or do we still use the http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8499/welcome-to-newbuddhist-on-vanilla#Item_182 thread ?
    ......Please post here or message/email me if you find any new bugs or problems.
    Does that answer your question?

• The home page looks "too Buddhist" in my opinion now. Whenever I am watching Ajahn Brahm or reading a book from Ajahn Brahm I feel like he is a warm mix of Buddhism and psychology for your real life. But whenever I've been to most other sanghas besides Ajahn Brahm I feel like they're mostly cramming dogmatic Buddhism down your throat in an academic "follow these commandments to be enlightened" type of way.

I felt the general banter made this site more warmer and made it seem less dogmatic. Now to the untrained eye it really looks religious/dogmatic. But that's just my opinion.
  • It's not going anywhere.
    Non-technical decisions about Forum management are never taken lightly. A lot of thought and discussion goes into them, and they're done with good reason.
    technical decisions are the premise of Admin, and Lincoln does whatever he can, and whatever makes life simpler in the long run.

Sure, it was not my intention to question Forum management or moderators.

No, I didn't say it was, but you were curious as to where the thread "was going" and I'm not really quite sure what you meant by that, in that case.... :scratch: :)

• PLS feel totally free to delete this post.

The name of this site is New Buddhist.

Many of us are confused, over rationalized and looking for answers.

Giving a freedom to express and being tolerant to our doubts will add to your compassion and good karma.

If not, at least it will help people like me or others in the same situation.
  • General ''Buddhism'' is full of dogmas and has been corrupted by many schools and some inspirations.

Look , how many Buddhists ideas are used by religious politicians or individual teachers.
    It is a common thing among philosophy or religion to fight and try to put their ideas forward.

What is wrong with questioning them to move to the 21 century?

We have an advantage of looking back and learning from the history and developments of science.

Questioning doctrines from our past can't be in the wrong? :hiding: :scratch:
  • feel free also to delete above.
    All this because "general banter" has been moved from the Home page?
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    We could put a caption above the forum feed in bold letters that says 'random BS in the general banter section'.

If it doesn't relate to buddhism, I am sorry but it is general banter. If 1/2 of posts are general banter then this is what needs to happen.

As an aside since this change I am not getting 'new' in the added forum posts. Ask me if this statement doesn't make sense.

"General ''Buddhism'' is full of dogmas and has been corrupted by many schools and some inspirations."

Yes we need to all be enlightened to buddhas true intention of investigating masturbation and the new age law of attraction. We can also have adverts for rainbow pills.
  • The "Universal Responsibility" thread is in General Banter, even though it pertains very much to Buddhism, with the quote of the Dalai Lama, and all. Maybe that was the OP's decision, I don't know. And the "Alchemy" thread belongs in the "Buddhism and World Religions", I think.
    As an aside since this change I am not getting 'new' in the added forum posts. Ask me if this statement doesn't make sense....
    Both fivebells and I have also mentioned this.....

Yeah, the 'New' label not showing up has been reported to the other devs. Hopefully will be fixed soon :)
  • Is this where new requests should go or do we still use the http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/8499/welcome-to-newbuddhist-on-vanilla#Item_182 thread ?
    ......Please post here or message/email me if you find any new bugs or problems.
    Does that answer your question?

Guess so, seems odd then, shouldn't Lincoln just merge the threads, I mean there is one open for that purpose already (I got thrown off his by 'new' but what about le old..) Danke.
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    The "Universal Responsibility" thread is in General Banter, even though it pertains very much to Buddhism, with the quote of the Dalai Lama, and all. Maybe that was the OP's decision, I don't know. And the "Alchemy" thread belongs in the "Buddhism and World Religions", I think.
    Yep and then again what isn't Buddhism anyway ?

Guess so, seems odd then, shouldn't Lincoln just merge the threads, I mean there is one open for that purpose already (I got thrown off his by 'new' but what about le old..) Danke.
    Threads cannot at present, be merged. The software won't currently allow it although I believe this is also being worked on.

Yep and then again what isn't Buddhism anyway ?
    Er... "what's the best way to repair my socks....?" :D

• Guess so, seems odd then, shouldn't Lincoln just merge the threads, I mean there is one open for that purpose already (I got thrown off his by 'new' but what about le old..) Danke.
    Threads cannot at present, be merged. The software won't currently allow it although I believe this is also being worked on.

Ah OK gotcha fed, but will assume Lincoln has it all in his sights :D Thanks

• Yep and then again what isn't Buddhism anyway ?
    Er... "what's the best way to repair my socks....?" :D

With attention ? :)
    I would have thought a needle and thread would have been better..... :crazy:
  • Now you are getting pedantic. What about a hole too :) But anyway there's nothing that's not Buddhism.

Best wishes,
    Abu
    Well I thought we were just having a chuckle, I didn't for one moment think you were being remotely serious!

• Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I wasn't until you mentioned the needle and thread, then you made me think of everything else like space, a table, a chair :p Ack!
  • PS about the Buddhism statement I'm deadly serious :aol:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    "PS about the Buddhism statement I'm deadly serious"

So does that mean I can post my builds for shadow warriors in the game Sacred 2 Fallen Angel Ice and Blood. Can I post them in the buddhism for beginners section? What about Arts and Writing? Can I also ask whether roasted barley can convert its starches into sugars without base malt? Can I post my story about having an embarassing fart in the arts and writing section?
  • Lincoln and Mods - Can you please extend the editable time, five minutes seem overly short and a bit too constrictive (maybe it is because I have slow reactions but still) :) It would help make this a bit easier to use overall ie the forum which as you know I think already is not as nice to use as many others. Thanks for your consideration
    I've shortened the time gradually because of a spate of members going back to blank-out their posts after responses have already been made. If I do increase the time limit again, it would never get higher than 15 minutes again, and that has nothing to do with the software being used.
  • The "preview" button, while far from perfect, is a helpful compensation for the short duration of the edit window. It at least allows you to check the basic formatting.
  • I've shortened the time gradually because of a spate of members going back to blank-out their posts after responses have already been made. If I do increase the time limit again, it would never get higher than 15 minutes again, and that has nothing to do with the software being used.
    Yes, understand, I've seen that done on other forums too. Maybe 8 minutes then :) Anyway thanks and we'll see how we go, I agree 15 minutes would be more than enough but what do I know :) Cheers and hope the working hours improve

• The "preview" button, while far from perfect, is a helpful compensation for the short duration of the edit window. It at least allows you to check the basic formatting.
    That's true, I'm usually too impatient, lol, I just type and go. I usually just correct grammar and such. But tis a good point, ta. wishes, Abu
    edited April 2011
    The 'X New' unread comments notice has been fixed. It was a new bug introduced into Vanilla by some recent feature additions. Thanks for letting me know.