Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Is there truly an escape?

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
Sometimes, no matter how much I study and practice, I worry that there may be no escape from this cycle of suffering. I wish that the Buddha was still here. Can someone point out some references or practices for helping me overcome doubt?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • This is just my personal opinion, it isnt Buddhist by any means. I dont think you can entirely avoid suffering living what I would call a normal life. Perhaps if you become a monk you can avoid it to a strong degree but you also avoid the highs/lows of life.

I believe suffering should be cultivated and understood and used as a positive force. Also leaning how to escape the indulgent suffering and just have it as a positive motivating force. I think holding to the idea that you can end suffering in your life will only cause you unnecessary suffering :)
  • This isn't something that plagues me constantly, just every now and then. I have doubts that there could be peace, rapture, or bliss beyond that which is gained through sensual and impermanent experiences. I suppose this is all just part of coming to terms with the hindrances on the path to my liberation. There is, at this time, both unwavering faith and looming shadows of doubt breaking like waves against my efforts for stillness and clarity. It's always a learning experience for sure.
  • I think holding to the idea that you can end suffering in your life will only cause you unnecessary suffering :)
    I agree. If I think there is something wrong with me if I suffer and I shouldn´t feel like that, then I am creating more suffering. But if I see it as a natural part of life then I will easier accept it and feel more calm when I suffer.

• zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    There can be an escape in this lifetime if a person has the commitment and dedication to seek it, However, on the other hand if your a lay Buddhist (like me), then this link might be helpful to you.

http://www.buddhanet.net/budsas/ebud/whatbudbeliev/143.htm

Metta to all sentient beings
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This isn't something that plagues me constantly, just every now and then. .... It's always a learning experience for sure.
    Yes, I think I like that.
    It is much, much better to be honest with yourself than to cling to having “spiritually correct” thoughts and feelings.

• I personally believe life is suffering, it is a lot of things. We only give labels and names to things because we VIEW them as negative or as SUFFERING. Instead of trying to run away from it all, accept it for what it is, keep a clear view and realise you cannot control every single thing that happens in your life, everything is transient and impermanent.
  • There's a reason why the Pureland school has been highly promoted by Chinese buddhism these days. Frankly in the Dharma ending age it's harder and harder for us to let go of delusions, it's better to speed things up by striving to be reborn in the Pureland.

Failing that, maybe try to come back as a better human being with better karmic roots for another go?

Anyway, I feel the same way as you, it's very tough even to let go basic negative feelings. My teacher is also rather tough, I actually found myself being grumpy rather than grateful most of these days.
  • Change your teacher.. Maybe Buddhism is not for you... Who knows? GOD!
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes, no matter how much I study and practice, I worry that there may be no escape from this cycle of suffering. I wish that the Buddha was still here. Can someone point out some references or practices for helping me overcome doubt?
    There is an escape, friend. There may be possibly those otherwise, but I have never met anyone that has escaped that has not devoted alot of time exclusively to the spiritual work.

The Buddha said the four highest kinds of faith or certainty (saddha) are as follows:

(1) faith in the Buddha

(2) faith in the Sangha

(3) faith in the Noble Eightfold Path

(4) faith in viraga

'Viraga' is the highest certainty or faith. 'Viraga' is the 'fading away' of attachment and craving. To experience the absence of suffering via no attachment & no craving is to be without doubt.

Best wishes

:)

• Change your teacher.. Maybe Buddhism is not for you... Who knows? GOD!
    I rather not go straight to hell after vaction in heaven.