Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hello Everyone, Just Saying Thank You

I myself am not a Buddhist nor Christian, but I tend to take teachings from both of them. However, I am somewhat troubled on what really to do with the predicament that I have placed myself in. It feels though as if I am both parts, but no real home to call my own. I am surrounded by Christianity wherever I go, but most of these people aren't interested in helping one another, they really only care about "saving" somebody and letting them go. But I don't want to stray from Christianity and because it has developed me into a strong human being. However, my brother is a big influence on me spiritually and he suggests religion to me as an answer to provide structure for me; and by the way, he is both. I really just can't dive into a religion and call it my own anymore. That to me is hindering myself. Any of the religious figures way back when never asked for a following. They were just beautiful examples of kindness and love. But I am trashed here in my town and scoweled at because of my ideas and open-mindedness. Texas is a hard place to live in and if you are not a Christian, you will get pounced on fast. I really am just fed up with the people here not caring for one another, no matter which religion you belong to. And that deters me from I guess calling myself one. Being associated with such foolishness, it really sickens me. I just have so much empathy for the people who are from a diff religion here, I can't help it. But labeling myself as such takes away from the beauty in human kindess. I don't know, I guess what I am trying to say is that I see a lot of wonderful thoughts and expressions coming from Buddhism and it warms my heart that there still is passionate debate and understanding amongst individuals such as yourselves. I have read a lot the threads and they are truly inspiring. Thank you so much for contributing to this forum and I thank everyone for teaching these wonderful lessons of innate understanding.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Welcome MLNH7 (excuse the abbreviation, but friends tend to do that to each other...!!)

Lively debate and exchange of viewpoints is something that happens here, regularly and openly...
    Even if at times 'tempers' may get a little frayed, and some might, in this "frayed" condition, resort to hasty words, there is always the underlying respect for one another and the knowledge that everyone here has the right to express themselves openly, with no fear of chastisement or censure.
    the only time I personally get a little distressed is if I see respect and dignity take second place to the 'I'm right and you're wrong' attitude.
    Thankfully, on this forum, it is extremely rare..... and very temporary....

We have had occasions where some people (I hesitate to call them "members" due to the brevity of their contributions) have joined the forum and have attempted to flame the situation by being controversial and confrontational, but a study of past threads (if you have the time!!) will show that largely due to the self-control and kindness of the regular crowd here, they have eventually given up and gone away.....

There are no written guidelines or forum rules because the founder, Brian, decided that if people were mature and sensible enough to join in and contribute to a Buddhist forum, they were equally mature and sensible enough to self-moderate.... and thus far, he's not been wrong!
    Providing we all keep in mind that essentially, it's a Buddhist forum, where the most of us study and follow the Eightfold path and precepts, and everyone has a right to be treated with dignity and respect, that's all the guidelines that anyone needs, in any sphere of life.

So again, I extend a warm, hearty and sincere embracing welcome to you!
    Dive in where you will, ask whatever you will, and feel free to contribute, engage and have fun!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    federica wrote:

There are no written guidelines or forum rules because the founder......... decided that if people were mature and sensible enough to join in and contribute ............., they were equally mature and sensible enough to self-moderate....

I've always thought that this is why Jesus wrote nothing down (except in sand!). Brian got it right. Jesus may have got it a bit wrong! :thumbsup: