Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Interesting Suttra quote

TalismanTalisman Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
For whom is found no near or far,
for whom’s no near or far,
free of fear and fetter-free,
that one I call a Brahmin True.

Dhammapada ch.26 v.385

What I believe this is saying is that he/she who discerns no far shore nor near shore is free from bonds and anxiety and is a true seeker of the truth. This seems to imply that wisdom is in recognizing that there is nor stream to cross. But in order to experience this insight one must first cross the stream. I found it very interesting.
What do you think?

Comments

• Hi Talisman,

This seems to be a better translation of the same verse:

" He for whom there is neither this shore nor the other shore, nor yet both, he who is free of cares and is unfettered — him do I call a holy man."

There's a complete translation of the Dhammapada at the Access to Insight site here:

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/dhp/dhp.intro.budd.html

kind wishes,

D.

• That seems like a different wording of the same thing I said :p
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited April 2011
    That seems like a different wording of the same thing I said :p
    Yup, that was kinda implied with "better translation of the same verse". :)
  • lol yeaaa
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    So much for those who think when they read Buddhist scriptures in English that they are reading the exact words of Buddha.