Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Lesson Learnt + A Hypocrite of Myself In My Past

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited January 2006 in Faith & Religion
Look at this: http://www.geocities.com/scimah/idols.htm

And somehow or other I think it only serves to mirror my past as an anti-Christian. What a perfect lesson - never realizing all along I was the real hypocrite.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    This guy seems to be advocating himself as an enemy of buddhism.

Do you think he realises most of us consider our 'enemies' as among our best teachers - as ajani so aptly demonstrares?
  • edited January 2006
    Look at this: http://www.geocities.com/scimah/idols.htm

And somehow or other I think it only serves to mirror my past as an anti-Christian. What a perfect lesson - never realizing all along I was the real hypocrite.

Ajani_mgo,
    I think you're reading too much biased material.
    The person who wrote the article comparing Buddhism and Islam, as you already know, is called Harun Yayha.
    In Islamic Forums I have heard Muslims telling others to beware of Harun Yahya's writings because he tends to put his own interpretation into things that he is writing about. He is a philosopher, and he usually mixes up true Islamic teachings wth his own ideas which he has learned from his 'philosophy'. I'm not just talking about this article, but other articles too.
    The article you have linked to defends Buddhism, which I'm fine with, but also has attacks against Islam. I believe that most of these attacks can be refuted and I'll have an attempt at it later on after my exams are finished.

After my O' Levels exams are finished this month, I'll try to be more active in these forums.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    My O Levels starts in May, so I still have a little time more. I understand - I am not asking for counter-arguments, just to show how dumb one can be at times to ignore some stuff, just like me in the past. (Freedom of speech and beliefs though)
  • edited January 2006
    My O Levels starts in May, so I still have a little time more. I understand - I am not asking for counter-arguments, just to show how dumb one can be at times to ignore some stuff, just like me in the past. (Freedom of speech and beliefs though)

Ajani_mgo,

Freedom of religion (beliefs) is allowed is Islam:

"Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things." Quran (2:256)

The duty of Muslims is only to preach the message of Islam, but not to impose it upon others:

"But if they turn away, thy duty is only to preach the clear Message." (Quran 16:82)

"But if they turn back, Say: "I have proclaimed the Message to you all alike and in truth; but I know not whether that which ye are promised is near or far." (Quran 21:109)

"Assuredly, We have sent down the Book to you in right form for the good of man. Whoso guided himself by it does so to his own advantage, and whoso turns away from it does so at his own loss. You certainly are not their keeper." (Quran 39:41)

"And as for those who choose guardians beside Him, Allah is watching over them, and you have not charge over them." (Quran 42:6)

Allah didn't wish that all people should be believers. We are told that Allah hasn't made us (Muslims) a guardian over them. As a result Muslims aren't told to kill disbelivers since that would be pointless because it is NOT Allah's will that everyone should be belivers.

"Had Allah willed, they would have not been idolatrous. We have not set thee as a keeper over them, nor art thou responsible for them." (Quran 6:107)

The verses of the Quran that Islam's critics use to prove that Islam incites violence towards non-Muslims are completely out of context. Critics usually quote one verse and hide the verses that come before it and after it, giving the reader a misguided conclusion. I have explained it in another post: http://www.newbuddhist.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16175#post16175

Here are some sayings of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) against harming non-Muslim citizens:

"Whoever hurts a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state hurts me, and he who hurts me annoys God." (Bukhari)

"Beware on the Day of Judgement; I shall myself be complainant against him who wrongs a Non-Muslim citizen of a Muslim state or lays on him a responsibility greater than he can bear or deprives him of anything that belongs to him." (Al-Mawardi)

Have a look at Surah Kafiroon:
    Say: O disbelievers!
    I worship not that which ye worship,
    Nor worship ye that which I worship.
    And I shall not worship that which ye worship.
    Nor will ye worship that which I worship.
    To you be your Way, and to me mine.
    edited January 2006
    I understand that. I am one of the few "weirdos" relatively speaking in my school who studied Islam once.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:

First, and most important, I shall be holding you in a big bearhug. you, and all my young friends (including my 15 year-old son) who are gearing up for this year's exams. My heart goes out to you. Having completed my own public examinations, degrees, etc., I had years of nightmares about them. Exams cause PTSD!!!!!

Secondly, you might like to consider a story from the Jesus legend: he made the dumb spaek. On one occasion, he was asked whether a particular blind guy was being punished for his or his parents' sins. Jesus told them to can the bullshit. The guy was blind so that he could come to see. And we are dumb so that we can receive the progressive gift of wise speech.
    edited January 2006
    Simon wrote:
    The guy was blind so that he could come to see. And we are dumb so that we can receive the progressive gift of wise speech.

Another teaching thus added into my philosophy. :)