Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Time management

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
So i'm sitting here writing this when i really should be writing an essay.

i've got loads of them to do and exams looming large as well, and despite my best efforts i'm starting to feel the pressure - deadlines and more deadlines.

i promised myself i would never enter the rat race of modern life, but i think i have anyway.

Just how does a 'good' buddhist deal with time management - i mean i really want to do well on my course (i wanna be the best nurse i can be) but i know that by wanting i'm setting myself up for suffering.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Change the "should" into a "could"....

"I really should be doing my essay, but....." gives you no excuse but plenty of dull, aching guilt.....

"I really could be doing my essay, but....." will be more 'lenient and understanding - and you'll come up with a reason.... which you can then work with!
    I don't know why - but it works!!

Try it!
  • edited January 2006
    damn... it works
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Weird, isn't it?....So what reason did you come up with? And how did you work through it - if at all....? :)
  • edited January 2006
    I used to let time constraints really stress me out at work which is a very dangerous thing, accidents happen when people rush. Its really strange but when ever im starting to feel the pressure I say to myself

'Whats the worst that can happen?'

'Will it kill me if time gets the better of me?'

The answer is always no and with that thought process the stress tends to go, its daft but it works for me. When it somes to things i really should be doing though im not very good, im very unorganised and create a lot of my own problems at times.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    From someone who's been there. I would highly suggest to keep up on your studies for nursing school. It is so easy to get behind and there is a load of information. Not sure what professional designations are used in the British Isles, but any RN program in America worth it's salt keeps you studying.

I hope you reach your goal. Nursing is very rewarding work and the job opportunities are endless.
  • edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Weird, isn't it?....So what reason did you come up with? And how did you work through it - if at all....? :)

i think it was realising that you see your true colours when you're put against. Going through a few family troubles as well and for all my ideals i couldn't put any of them in practice - so what good are they if i couldn't even be there for my own family

i think i have a 'be the best' complex - want to be the best nurse, with the best grades and i wanted to be the best buddhist as well.

So i could do my essay but i really have got more important things to attend to at the moment. Perhaps not quite what you attended, Fede, but it did the trick - thanks.

jerbear,
    might have to pick your brain one day, i wouldn't mind a bit of nursing in America
    edited January 2006
    Provided it did the trick, that's all you needed...
    On a practical note, (not knowing the extent of your family situation) if the brown stuff hits the fan, be sure to let your tutors you have some issues beyond your control. This will at least help them understand and perhaps cut you a little bit of slack. If they don't know, they can't offer constructive assistance, can they?....

All the best, Spud...!! ;)
  • edited January 2006
    A disciple once complained to Master Chao Chu about having no time, Chao Chou said, “You are being used by the 24 hours, but I use the 24 hours every day.” So the question is, do you use the 24 hours of the day or are you used by them.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Two Bit Bob,
    Any time!

Rev. Genryu,
    Thank you for the reminder. It's so easy to get caught up in to a whirlwind of activity and lose track of time or feel rushed. I may start using that as a mini mantra at work.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    The friend who shares my house came home from work this evening, having had to hang around at the cafe where she works, with nothing to do. All her kitchen work was finished by 4.15 but the "work day" ends at 4.30 so she had to wait to come home. And it struck me that this is an essentially post-industrial attitude to time.

Our town clocks were put up and set to 'London' time when the railway came. Before that, the daily tasks took the time they took. "How doth the busy little bee improve each shining hour?"
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    "How doth the busy little bee improve each shining hour?"
    Simon, how true.
    Yes, I agree regarding the post-industrial time attitude. And another dangerous idea;
    "Time is money". Buddhism is a perfect antidote to this poison.

twobitbob,
    "i think i have a 'be the best' complex - want to be the best nurse, with the best grades and i wanted to be the best buddhist as well."

Beware. That is exactly how I injured my back permanently. With precisely the same attitude. It's very dangerous and allows us to make foolish decisions. It's ego based, I think, and difficult to get over.
    Instead, I try now to be nothing special. Much better.
    Please, take it easier on yourself. You have nothing to ache with guilt over. Just do what you can, when you can, be compassionate and loving to yourself. As the Buddha said, who deserves it more if not yourself?

With great love and respect,
    Brigid.