Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

lotus style position

angulimalaangulimala Veteran
edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
hi,
i always can't bear the lotus position for long period of time. my feet would go numb after 5 minutes or more.many people say that most westerners are not used to this style,though i'm asian i have trouble with it too.maybe i have westerner's feet:).so anyone have any advice or comment?thank you

Comments

• edited January 2006
    I would advise being very very careful about trying the full lotus before your body is flexible enough to sit comfortably in this posture. It's possible to damage your knees very badly otherwise and half lotus tends to be a stable enough sitting posture until a person is more flexible, as well as helping to lengthen the thigh muscles and getting one ready for the full lotus. If you do decide to sit half lotus though, it's a good idea to alternate which leg is uppermost every other sitting period, this way the development of the muscles is more balanced. Yoga, Tai Chi and Chi Kung are also very good for gaining flexiblity, as well as being complementary to sitting meditation generally.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Wot he said.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm physically disabled and had to make do with whatever position I could sit in comfortably. If your body is feeling discomfort it will distract you. I just try to make sure that my back is as straight is possible and then I get as comfortable as I possibly can. As zenmonk said, I also alternate my legs. In my humble oppinion, comfort, good posture and an open and willing heart are more important than the smaller details.

With warmth and love,
    Brigid.
  • edited January 2006
    Well I could say a few things about comfort but... :rant:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Tell me, tell me!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Few Westerners can do the full lotus position, angulimala. I think it's because we're not used to sitting on the floor like most Asians are. Also, many Westerners engage in athletic activities, such as running or gymnastics or whatever, that make it very difficult to sit cross-legged due to the tightness of the tendons and ligaments. Even though I always sat on the floor as a kid, I've never been able to pull off the full lotus either. I usually go with the half-lotus, or now that I'm older (and fatter), the so-called Burmese position, which is basically the old Native American cross-legged position. And Ven. Genryu is correct, you can really mess up your knees if you try to force it, so better to find a more doable position. The point is to find a position where you can sit comfortably for long periods, and you're not going to be able to do that if you're in pain.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    I have absolutely no problem getting into the Lotus Position.

However........

It takes me nearly twenty minutes to unravel it, and I need traction for a half-hour afterward.

Other than that, it's a cinch..... aaaaaargh!