Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Experiences or questions about devotion in the dharma

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited April 2011 in Philosophy
I have seen questions about devotional practices before and I wanted to create a thread to help understanding and communication. I am not saying devotional practices are for everyone which would be dogma.

"Devotion to Dharma

Devotional practices are a very important part of spiritual life—it doesn’t mean devotion to the person, it means devotion to the dharma. We’re not talking about students bowing and scraping but about paying attention, being receptive, and opening themselves and sort of trusting enough to make the leap forward. One of the best forms of devotion is to pay attention, to be passionately interested and continuously engaged in the process of learning."

-Lama Surya Das, "Old Wine, New Bottles"

Comments

• devotion imho is the fastest way to enlightenment. but it takes complete surrender and sincerity, which imho is rare.

but all paths lead to complete surrendering. whether you're on an intellectual path or a path from the heart.
    they all lead to surrendering. and this takes a deep sincerity and honesty.

only the phonies don't get enlightened.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    To me the purpose of devotional practices is a means to help oneself focus.

While living in Thailand I saw many devotional practices, and performed certain ones of them myself....but it was always to settle my mind and prepare to focus.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    For me the devotional practices help in many ways, such as keeping me focused, getting me into a routine and hence helping me to become more disciplined in my practice, they allow me to express my respect and appreciation to Buddha for sharing his insight, and of course by going for refuge in the three jewels I am reinforcing my trust and faith that Buddha's teachings and the spiritual community can lead to the end of suffering for all sentient beings.

With Metta
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    I have a question, what exactly is meant by devotional practice and could folks outline the basic devotional practices of the various schools.
    Here's what I take it to mean (in part, as one example), based on Thailand's Theravada Buddhism:

When I enter the bot or wiharn, offer 3 things to the Buddha statue -- a lighted candle, lighted incense, and a flower...all while kneeling.

And/or -- kneel before the Buddha statue, bow with head to the floor 3 times reciting "To the Buddha I go for refuge, to the Sangha I go for refuge, to the Dhamma I go for refuge."

Then I begin my meditations/prayers...whatever you want to call them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited April 2011
    For me personally I have a shrine shelf and it is special and reminds me of the importance of the practice when perhaps I am busy with games or stress. Reminds me of the peace and space and opportunity.

One practice I do is to reflect that my practice has meaning and value. Even if I do not ever directly save anybodies life. If I just do my practice I have not wasted my life. It is going in the right direction. And the devotion is dedicating the merit of the practice to all beings. That is a vaster vehicle to overcome doubt through the power of the buddha (love).

Finally when I am moved I do three prostrations. I steeple my hands and touch them to my head, throat, and chest. The head symbolizes the body! The throat speach. And the chest the mind. Then bend over and touch the floor symbolizing humility and like above that I have receptivity and reverance. Three of those.
    For me personally I have a shrine shelf and it is special and reminds me of the importance of the practice when perhaps I am busy with games or stress. Reminds me of the peace and space and opportunity.

One practice I do is to reflect that my practice has meaning and value. Even if I do not ever directly save anybodies life. If I just do my practice I have not wasted my life. It is going in the right direction. And the devotion is dedicating the merit of the practice to all beings. That is a vaster vehicle to overcome doubt through the power of the buddha (love).

Finally when I am moved I do three prostrations. I steeple my hands and touch them to my head, throat, and chest. The head symbolizes the body! The throat speach. And the chest the mind. Then bend over and touch the floor symbolizing humility and like above that I have receptivity and reverance. Three of those.
    Very nice! :clap: