Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I'm Curious and Have some simple questions: Any help would be much appreciated!

edited April 2011 in Faith & Religion
Hey,
I am currently in a World Religions course and am simply curious about talking to different people of different faiths to find out about their beliefs and views on life.
I do have to do this for an assignment, so any help at all would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Please feel free to answer as many or as little questions as you'd like, and as short or as in-depth as you'd like. Feel free to respond back on this page, or instant messenger as well. I look forward to any discussion that results! Thanks again!

-What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith?
-what frustrates you about your faith?

-what does the idea of "god" mean to you?
-what do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife?
-how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present?

-how important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them?
-have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why?

-how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife?
-what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith?

Thanks for your time--again it is very much appreciated.
Hope all is well
abe

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Confidence in the teachings, knowing that all responsibility for everything that I think/say/do is down to me, and me alone.
    My own personal inability to sustain my practice as far as I should. My Calling itself does not frustrate me at all.
    Absolutely nothing. having been a roman Catholic for 40-odd years, I can say I grew up under the influence of religion. Now - there's not a vestige of any of it, left. I am indifferent to it, completely.
    -what do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife?
    I live each day as if it were my last. One day - I'll be right. The afterlife is not my concern. living well according to my practice, now, is what is important to me.
    -how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present?
    By being mindful compassionate and having unconditional loving kindness for others. Salvation from what, exactly? I don't believe anyone needs saving.... other than from their own ignorance.
    As important as we deem to find them. They're just humans, after all, and open to the same conditions we are....
    And - No.
    -have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why?
    No. Except I've become more Mindful.
    -how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife?
    I don't really concern myself with people in other religions. if they wish to find God, that's what they should do. If this is what they want.
    A good afterlife?
    Could you provide evidence of this afterlife?
    As a Buddhist, I don't ascribe to one. if others wish to, that is for them to decide, and discover it for themselves.
    -what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith
    You are hopefully happy in what you have found, and I'm glad it works for you.

• hey thanks federica. I really appreciate your time. I'll be around :)
  • -What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith?

Feeling a connection to others who are earnest. Christians who are sincere with morality and love I would include in this group.

Not much. I suppose that I could be more active and read or meditate more. But this isn't really a problem if you understand buddhism. You forgive yourself and take your time. Be natural and the effort is joyful.

It is what Christians worship as the creator. I think a creator is a bit of a mystery. The pope recently answered questions live and most of them were why a creator would allow suffering such as a boy who was born only with a face and no back part to their head including most of the brain.

I don't know. The teaching is that desire, anger, and confusion decompose and vanish. When desire leaves you see a white light and beautiful things. When the anger decomposes you see clarity and a lot of the reality of suffering. When the confusion dissolves there is no turning back. Nobody knows what you see. Next the clear white light comes which is the nature of mind. Most people pass out at this time but it is possible to rest in this nature and you will attain nirvana without the return of anger greed and confusion returning. Those who pass out are in the bardos and their mind unconnected to a body is moving faster than a schizophrenic. They suffer in this state because the anger confusion and greed has reformed not sure how. Many doors appear and they choose the one that they are attracted to due to their karma. Then they enter another body or even a bodyless realm.

Non-attachment to states is the best medicine. What you see is what you get.

They are important because they connect you to the mandala of the teachings. The buddha is the unborn wisdom and compassion that is the only way to cut through the shoots of suffering through the wall of doubt concealed in dark wrong views. The dharma is the light of stainless wisdom, neither existent nor non-existent escaping all description and realized by the self alone. The leaders are part of the sangha and they realize that the poisons (anger greed and delusion) are essenceless and thus they penetrate the phenominal world.

I feel more alive I think because my heart energy is less obstructed and I trust life more. I am less judgemental and negative. I accept things as they are more easily. I recognize that upsetting things are just teachers of impermanence.

I think they can find God as a conceptualization. I am not aware if they will meet God the creator in the afterlife. In any case God won't be a cartoon character he will be a mysterious being with all the vast space present in all of our beings.

Examine why you practice your faith. Why do you want it? And why do you want that? By understanding your heart you will deepen your faith in Christ and your love of mankind.
    The joy of helping myself find peace and lasting happiness and the joy of helping others do the same.
    I'm not frustrated by my beliefs. I am frustrated by people and situations at times, but it's something I'm working on.

It means an omnipotent and omnicient sentience believed to be the cause of all. I don't believe that such a thing can possibly exist, and if it does it does not affect my practice or beliefs.
    Without going into any specific details or too much information, I believe in Rebirth. This is different than reincarnation in that it does posit a permanent or abiding self/soul, but instead the endless stream of consciusness arisen from prior volition.
    Salvation cannot be received. There is an escape from suffering by way of the 8-fold path.

You are expected to be intelligent in discerning wise and experienced teachers and friends.
    I was not a very religious person until I started studying Buddhism.

Those who are compassionate, generous, and kind can expect a happy rebirth in the next life either in the human or one of the heavenly realms. Any sentient being has the potential for Buddhahood but the reasources necessary for completing such a monumental task are extremely difficult to attain.
    I hope that it brings you happiness and helps you to show kindness, love, compassion, and generosity toward all living things.

• 1.-What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith?
    2.-what frustrates you about your faith?

3.-what does the idea of "god" mean to you?
    4.-what do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife?
    5.-how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present?

6.-how important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them?
    7.-have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why?

8.-how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife?
    9.-what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith?
    abe
    1. Knowing that full responsibility lies with me. That I have to take control of my perspectives, and that I can choose whether or not I want to feel anger/sadness/jealousy etc. Buddhism helped me to take control of my life, and it doesn't let me throw a pity party. I also like the emphasis on compassion and understanding. It really helped me to overcome setbacks, and healed many negative world views I used to hold.
    2. I'm not frustrated yet, but I do have difficulty meditating, and I currently lack a nearby sangha. I also don't seem to bend to one school of Buddhism. So in the future I hope to find a teacher nearby.
    3. I don't have a conventional belief of god, and god is not emphasized in Buddhism. If I were to define god as all of us and everything, just an impersonal collection of life, non-life, bird-poo, babies, and summer breezes, then that would be my take on god. There is a quote I like but I can't remember who said it "How can we go back to God, when we never left him in the first place". I like that quote.
    4. I don't know what happens when I die, because I'm not dead yet, and I haven't had a chance to talk to anyone who is dead. Buddhist opinion varies, with some having no opinion at all. I personally prepare for death by accepting it. I know that nothing is permanent, and everything is always changing, and moving on to another form. I don't know if there is an "I" who will continue after death, but since it is inevitable, I'm not scared. Most of what I do, is practice that pertains to being a compassionate person in this life, and having a positive impact on the world as I progress through it. There is a small part of me that is curious about reincarnation, and it seems like a feasible idea. My grandmother is a stout believer, and I've seen many specials on people's reincarnation stories. However, if it is really "me" personally that is reincarnated... I have no clue, and worrying about it doesn't help me be a better person today.
    5. A lot of harm is done through selfishness and ignorance. If salvation means making the world a better place for others and ourselves... then at the very least we should cultivate understanding and compassion. We should examine our own perspectives, worldviews and emotions. Avoid hurting others and ourselves through harmful speech, actions, or manipulation. We should seek to educate ourselves, and act with compassion... even if the whole world is not. So it requires some independence, self-control, and mindfulness.
    6. Leaders only have as much importance as we place on them. In the end we have to decide for ourselves if what they say is true or not. A good teacher or leader will take the authority you place in their hands, and throw it right back at you. They exist to help guide or educate, but like Fed said... they're human too. It's pretty interesting to note, that sometimes in my Zen books... there are zen quotes from people who are not even Buddhist.
    7. No. They haven't changed, but I have. There was a time when I became selfish and gave in to stress pity party's when life got hard. Eventually I admitted that I was falling back into an old script with myself, so I continued practicing mindfullness again. I've cheered up, and stopped being crabby with my loved one's again.
    8. I don't care if people believe in god or an afterlife. I think all world religions are beneficial when they place emphasis on compassion, tolerance and understanding. I think they lose their benefit if they place too much emphasis on afterlife. We should be trying to make this world heaven, instead of seeking heaven after death. We can create our own heaven or hell in this very life-time depending on how we act and think.
    9. I would say to you... "Hi." and... "It's good that you are curious about others. Continue learning from people of all walks of life, because there is great benefit in this".

• Buddhism isn't a faith, abeb, sorry. Which means it's non-theistic, no God. So we wouldn't know if people who believe in god can "find god". Can't answer most of your questions. How to prepare for "afterlife"? Well, a lot of Buddhists don't believe in one. But those who do prepare by living a good life, being compassionate towards others.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Buddhism isn't a faith, abeb, sorry. Which means it's non-theistic, no God. So we wouldn't know if people who believe in god can "find god". Can't answer most of your questions.
    Others managed it..... :rolleyes:

just to clarify for you, @compassionate_warrior, abeb sought clearance and clarified his intentions regarding this thread. He's welcome here, and he understands the conditions of posting.

The peacefulness that it brings to my mind

my inability to keep a clear mind while meditating and my lack of meditation most of the time

Growing up catholic I see god as a figure that people worship to make them feel better. It is something that is used to explain that which they don't know or don't want to know. (I don't believe in a god)

I'm not sure what happens, noone can be. But I believe that as long as your a good person and do good things, you can't get any worse than you already are.

Being mindful of there deeds and actions while making the world a better place even with the smallest of acts.

They are who teach you but it is up to you to take that knowledge, reflect on it, and only you can see if it is true or not.

Yes they have. As stated above I was raised catholic but that never fit me and the idea of a god did not seem to be logical to me the older I got and with the more I learned in school and in the sciences. By freshman year of high school and still to this day I would call myself atheist. In my sophomore year I learned about Buddhism from an aquatince who got me thinking about it, so I looked it up and it hit me as what is true and it fits my beliefs. So that's how I got to where I am now

I believe that religion is not an important thing in someones life. You can be a great person without it, but if you find a religion that fits with you and you believe it. Then that's fine as long as you don't let it take you over and forget why you practice it.

I believe you have the right to believe anything you want and it is not my place to question your beliefs even though I don't agree with them.

Sorry if this is long
  • My faith: The Dhamma as Taught by the Blessed One, Siddartha Gotama. AKA: Buddhism (Awakism).

1) The thing that brings me the greatest joy in regards to my faith is the fact that the purpose of my faith is solely to experience joy.

2) Nothing frustrates me about my faith.

3) To me, the idea of 'God' is a highly complex and misunderstood one. I was taught for many years that 'God' is an omnipotent, omniscient, man, with a long white beard that lives in the sky. Now is this true? Who's to say? I have never seen him, but that does not mean that he does not exist. With that said, I have learned to put the question of what 'God' is, and 'if 'God' exists to the side, and be content with whatever is arising in the present moment.

4) I believe that when my physical body dies, my feelings, mind, and mind objects (thoughts) die along with it, due to the fact that all are dependently arisen phenomena. At the same time however, I still have not abandoned craving (four noble truths), and because of this, the process of mind and body that I refer to as 'me,' will continue on, and a new body, feelings, mind, and mind object will continue to exist after the complete cessation of the functioning of this body. If my mind is still conditioned by craving, at the moment of death, my future rebirth is completely up in the air. If I die with a wholesome mind, I will be reborn in a good destination (human realm, or heavenly realm of which there are various levels), but if I die with an unwholesome state of mind, I will be reborn in an unfortunate realm (animals, deprived spirits, or hell (Suffering - The 1st noble truth)). However, since I am a practitioner of the meditation as taught by the Blessed One, I am constantly watching my mind to see how it reacts to sense-media. Whenever craving arises (craving: A word translated from the ancient Indian language of Pali. The word is 'thana.' Thana is your minds reaction to a feeling. The reaction is either 'I want that,' and it tightens down around it, or 'I don't want that any more,' and it tightens down around it. Craving always manifests as tension and tightness in your mind and in your body.), I quickly relax, smile, and return to my object of meditation. This is called the letting go of craving, or the cessation of suffering (the 3rd noble truth). By constantly practicing like this, and by refining my understanding of reality, and by treating others kindly, I am practicing the eightfold path (the 4th noble truth). Because of this I will most likely attain final Buddha hood, or 'Arahant,' and never be reborn again. However, if I have not fully completed the path, then I will probably be reborn in a heavenly realm without a body, spend probably a few maha-kappas there (one maha-kappa is the time it takes for the universe to expand, contract, and remain still, before it expands again. I know, a long time!) During this lifetime I will have attained Arahatship, and after wards I will die, then never be reborn again.

5) People can attain a better rebirth by doing the following: keeping the precepts (not to kill, steal, rape, adulterate, molest, lie, insult, gossip, slander, yell, or do drugs), developing a mind of loving kindness (thinking good thoughts about yourself and others at all times), and lastly, but most effectively, is understanding and practicing the Dhamma as taught by the blessed one (the four noble truths).

6) There is not necessarily a leader in the faith of Buddhism, but there are teachers. The Blessed One Siddartha Gotama is considered the main teacher. It is important to keep his efforts in your mind and be thankful to him. Elder monks are considered our present teachers, there are many small standards and respects that we must pay to them, but it's nothing too crazy.

7) Yes my spiritual beliefs and practices have changed in this life time. I was born to christian parents and went to a catholic school when I was younger. But I was eventually enrolled into a public school, and my parents didn't really ever go to church, so I was kind of allowed to practice whatever I wanted, and believe whatever I wanted. Spirituality was never really a big deal in my family, we all just kind of went about our daily thingss and that was it. I got into drugs, and then got into Buddhism, and stopped doing drugs. And ever since I got into Buddhism, my ideals and beliefs have been changing ever since. At first I practiced Tibetan Buddhism (Lamrim), but it didn't really deliver me the deliverance of mind that I was seeking. Then for a while I read a bunch of different books, and listened/ learned from a bunch of different teachers. I got in touch with a book written by Thich Nhat Hanh called 'The Miracle of Mindfulness.' Thich taught me a meditation based on counting my breaths. I have never been as stressed out in my entire life as I was when I practiced like this. I developed super massive head aches. Desperately, I was seeking for relief. Then I remembered this guy named Bhante Vimalaramsi that I had heard a few years back talking about relaxing, so I thought I would look into his talks again. Everything fell into place after that, I started relaxing, and seeing exactly how my mind works in relation to everything that I experience. And I started to learn that reality and existence are a very profound and deep series of chain reactions that most human beings never learn to see. This reality that I was beginning to see was the reality taught by the Buddha. It is called dependent origination. I would say that it could be compared to Einsteins theory of everything, and that the only difference being is that Einsteins theory is a string of mathematical equations written down of a piece of paper that was never actually completed, whereas dependent origination is reality broken down into it's most simple structure that you learn to see and experience personally and for your self. And that when you actually start to see this stuff, it will blow your mind. You say 'Wow, I can't believe that this is actually real.' You will start to become a very happy individual :) .

8) I think that other religions are fine, and to be honest most of them will probably conduce to a fortunate rebirth in the next life. In Christianity you are taught to treat others well, and to love every one. According to the teachings of the Buddha, if this moral code, and mind of loving kindness is cultivated sufficiently, it will lead to rebirth in a heavenly realm.

9) To you as a christian I would say that what you are doing is an excellent thing, but with that said I would also tell you to investigate thoroughly, and train your mind to be happy, because with a happy mind, no suffering can ever befall you.

Good Luck. :):)
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited April 2011
    God, god, gods, or a misspelling of dog? Depends. I suppose you could deem me as a pantheist more than anything.
    Don't know. How could anyone know for sure? I could take an educated guess, but I'll probably be wrong. Not to mention, in a strictly Buddhist sense, there is no "me" to die.
    Salvation... eh, you mean enlightenment? Hmm... follow the eightfold path.
    Dalai Lama, previous Buddhas. Yes, we are expected to follow the teachings of the Buddhas - because that is Buddhism. His Holiness the Dalai Lama is like an advice giver, per se.
    Not really. I'm young.
    I believe there is no god to be found, and do not claim that an afterlife exists.
    Hope it brings you and others happiness. If it does not, it may not be the best for you.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited April 2011
    I misread one.

Yes. I went from a non-denominational Christian, to a Novus Spiritus/Gnostic Christian (what I was raised to be), to an Agnostic-Theist, to Pantheist/Agnostic/???(interested in Wicca and Native American beliefs), to Agnostic-Atheist, to Buddhist.
    just living life and knowing that whatever i am doing is truth manifesting.
    bringing a passion and desire to just be with what is and just accepting it.

nothing! honestly lol.

god is everything, thus a nothingness. god is the ground to existence, the eternal, the infinite.

energy moves on to the next form. in a way we are dying every moment. one moment i am this and the next i am that.
    i prepare for the afterlife by working on myself now. though i don't really believe in an afterlife.

honestly, i have no idea. i don't think a person can reach a better state than the present. the present isn't even a state. the present is where all the states occur. there is only one moment and that moment is right now. i suppose one can trick themselves into believing an idea or an ideal of a future state that will bring more happiness than right now. but again all desires are lies and there really is only what is in front of you. freedom from all desires is what we all truly want and that is contentment. contentment can only be found right here and right now.

i view the leaders of my faith as individuals who walked and talked the journey. they did and so i can do it as well.
    beyond their pointing, which helps us on our journey, they are just reminders. the goal isn't to become like the leaders but to find the truth that they exist from. and no i only obey what is true to my experience and heart.

started as a christian then to a buddhist. i liked the intellectual approach that buddhism brought. christianity was completely devotional and that didn't work so well as i grew older and in a way more ignorant. buddhism has brought knowledge but at the same time i have become even more simple because of buddhism. when it comes down to it, i know that i know nothing. so in a way, i've come full circle. from devotion to knowing to not knowing. lol

all religions point to the same truth. but that truth must be realized through gnosis or enlightenment. one has to embody that truth and they do, it is just a matter of realizing it or awakening it what is. we as human beings are complete and perfect, yet we do not see this. i do believe that some religions talk to some people more and can bring about fruition of awakening faster and easier. but i do feel that even without religion one can come across truth. truth is universal or it isn't truth. in a way religion can prevent one from realizing truth because many people cling to dogmas. i suppose its all relative and based on the individual. lol sorry about this answer.

keep it up but go beyond your faith and achieve gnosis. check our the dark soul of the night by st. john of the cross. check out thomas merton. check out all of the christian mystics. they speak from the same truth as the buddha or really any other religious figure. the story of jesus christ was the story about man realizing his divinity. and that story is the same story that everyone has to realize. all stories are all about you. all songs are all about you. god is not separate from you, nor did you ever leave eden. the kingdom of heaven is here as we speak. love love love.

sorry about how i write. i just write and words come out. take care.
  • Hey all,
    I've just been skimming some of these answers for my assignment (thanks all for answering by the way), and I do have one question that came up. If I can be allowed to summarize and generalize (please feel free to correct me), you seem to simply believe that if you do good, good comes of it (such as a more favorable rebirth), if you do bad then a less favorable rebirth...or at least a common agreement that one should do good.

So, the curious question, where does your standard of good or bad come from? what makes something good? and what is it that decides between the two, whether you should do one or the other?

I'm not only trying to discern where your concept of good and bad comes from (if I understand it right, Nirvana will be the dissolvement of good and bad, happiness and pain??? did I get that right???)but also what is it that discerns between the two and says you should do one and not the other...if it is based on personal preference, why does there seem to be such general agreement, almost as thought there were a standard, that you are abiding by?

let me put it a different way: what might be understood is that I'm simply describing a herd instinct. What is good for you, works for you because it preserves your life or preserves the life of other living beings, and furthers you toward Nirvana (to use very blunt terms). why is that good and where does that judgment come from?

I hope this makes sense...anyway, curious question. I realize that I'm touching into the origins of Buddhism etc. a little bit, and if possible, I'd like to stay out of that as I believe it will lead down a very long an unrelated road. I could be wrong though--you deem it appropriate or not.
  • My assignment:
    Thank you all again for being willing to answer these questions. Here is the result of this short assignment should you be curious to read it. I do preface it by saying that I am 1)limited and guided by the structure of the assignment, and 2) I am a Christian, and thus, the views presented within the assignment are completely from a Christian view. I am welcome to feedback and questions, though I can't guarantee quick replies! (my access to technology will be limited for the next few weeks) :) I am still interested in any answers on my previous (one right before this) post. Take care!

State Conclusions you can make from the responses:
    -There is a general sentiment of well-being and contentment knowing they are not tied or dependent upon anyone else. Well-being rests on them alone, and there is no fear of judgment or accountability.
    -They do not believe, nor concern themselves, with the belief or following of God. He is an unnecessary element to their self-sustained lives.
    -After-life is generally rebirth or reincarnation. Essentially the belief is simply do good, be a good person, and things will be alright.
    -There is no salvation. There is only escape from suffering, and that is the absence or vanishing of desire.
    -Religious leaders have about as much stance and influence as they decide to give them—similar to their stance on God (the difference being that, to them, he most likely does not exist).
    -They believe they have become more open-minded, and as a result, perhaps more alive or more free.
    -There is no God to be concerned with. If others wish to find God, then its good for them. Life is simply good action or bad action, resulting in a good re-birth, or bad, until the vanishing of all desire.
    -What works for you works for you.

Describe how you felt as you interviewed
    I felt exhausted, trapped, and depressed. Though I enjoy exchanging ideas and thoughts and learning from these people, I find it easy to place myself in their shoes, identify, and view the world through their eyes. As such, I found it to be hopeless, lost, and devoid of color and life.
    It is exhausting to me to be the means of my own deliverance—I know, and have experienced, the result of getting my own will and I find it to be life-draining and death.
    It is depressing to think of the only goal in life to be that of escape from pain by becoming devoid of all desire. It seems like an incredible empty place, with no hope or desire to experience beauty, fulfillment, completion, or the joy of redemption and life in the midst of pain. Pain does not even get to have a place or purpose in life, it is simply something to be escaped from.
    I feel the loss of not being called up, invited to a higher standard. To be, one day, pure and holy and perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect. To hear the words “well done” and enter into the joy therein. To be part of a bigger story, a grand epic, in which there is good and bad, purpose and direction. Rather, I am told to “do what feels right for you, glad you found what works for you.” The standard is left to myself, which, as I mentioned earlier, I, by-myself, am devoid of life. It seems to me to be a very lonely and sad existence, more a way of coping than living.

Discuss how you might approach these people for further discussions.
    I have already done so. These people tend to be very respectful, open, and tolerant (I have yet to push the boundaries and experience acceptance), and are quite open to discussion. It is easy, and enjoyable, to continue conversation with them. They can become frustrated with those who try to force religion down their throats (as I've read by other threads on this forum). Thus, I can only hope and pray that as life continues they will meet and encounter the reality of the living God in real and tangible ways that cannot be denied—whether displayed in his people, or by miraculous displays of his spirit—and come to know life in Him to the fullest (John 10:10).
    Not over thinking and negative thinking all the time

Have to admit I am wrong and not get angry with people who gets real with you...

Celestial beings in the heavenly realms

By cultivating good Karma according to Buddhist practices. Trying to seek rebirth in the Eastern Pureland.

Reach Arhatship. Rebirth in one of the Pureland or achieve Ch'an awakening.
    Of course the final goal is reach Buddhahood.

Some of the Venerable Masters are pretty onto it and gives really good advices. You do as your told if you agrees with the teachings and do it for your own good!

Yes indeed. I've given up alcohol, weed, computer games, warhammer 40000 and stopped hanging with negative people. Start to respect my parents and got better self-esteem.
    It works because there are actual methods described that gets results. Not to mention you meet with good people and start to appreciate and realising there are so much pure stuff to do for fun instead of only seeing the negative hence have delusions that the world is negative.

If other religious disciples all only practice the positive teachings of their faith they will surely goto one of the heavenly realms or get a better rebirth as human. But they will not get ultimate liberation.

Only practice the parts about leading and wholesome life and helping others. Don't practice the judgemental parts that condemns others.

• 1.-What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith?
    Meditation
    2.-what frustrates you about your faith?
    letting go

3.-what does the idea of "god" mean to you?
    GOD is just an idea or as i like to call it an illusion to let other control your believes.
    4.-what do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife?
    it depends if you are enlightened or not. if not i comeback if enlightened then i dont unless i want to.
    5.-how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present?
    Meditation
    6.-how important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them?
    they are not they just exist.
    7.-have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why?
    Catholic to spiritually seeker, from not being spiritual to learning how to be spiritual. because of suffering.
    8.-how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife?
    i have made my peace with them. it depends on how they lived their life.

9.-what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith?
    sigh, always question everything.

abe
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    -What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith? *My practice is living my life, and the greatest joy is knowing there is nothing to fear. All fleeting moments end, all formations change.

-what frustrates you about your faith? *Only that sometimes it is difficult to communicate something that I know to someone else who does not.

-what does the idea of "god" mean to you? *I don't know. The more clearly I see reality, the less I see any god/Gods outside of the suffering mind that needs them to try and be happy.

-what do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife? *No separate "me" ever came to be in the first place, and so there is no one who dies. The body (form) is recycled, and will become new forms.

-how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present? *A person can awaken to reality, become liberated from all suffering, by following the Noble Eightfold Path of morality, concentration and wisdom.

-how important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them? *The Sangha is important in maintaining the teachings and showing us the way.

-have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why? *Many times, due to experiences. This happens and makes me see this way. That happens and makes me see that way. Finally, seeing why all of that happens so that the cycle can end!

-how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife? *The nature of mind is to be happy, to find happiness. Each mind can be happy, but there will always be some element of suffering unless one is fully enlightened.

-what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith? *Are you happy? If so, there's nothing else that needs said. Your experiences have brought you to Christianity... to God. The experiences of others have not, and that's the way things are. People tend not to see dragons, though some claim they exist.

Be well!

Impatience is a big challenge for me .... thus when it takes time my " faith " is challenged and I tend toward feeling frustration and my mind thinks there is something else needs to be done, by me, some other action to move forward ....

Love

I do not know what will happen at my death beyond that it will happen, my aim is to be open and practice enables me to be more receptive to experiences as they occur

forgiveness and understanding

No leaders, many possible teachers, not to obey, nor follow, l can listen and learn

Yes, my experiences have led me to want to understand the nature of suffering and how this suffering can be overcome

I do not have strong feeelings about religions

• 1. What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith?

Describing a way of living

2. What frustrates you about your faith?

Rituals

3. What does the idea of "god" mean to you?

Emptiness and fullness at the same time

4. What do you believe about what happens after you die? how do you prepare for the afterlife?

can't lose sleep over it...

5. How can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present?

Unconditional love

6. How important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them?

who are they?

7. Have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why?

less ritualistic, more altruistic now than in the past

8. how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife?

Yes

9. What would you say to me as a Christian about my faith?

all the very best to you for whatever aspirations you may have.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited April 2011
    My assignment:

I find it easy to place myself in their shoes, identify, and view the world through their eyes. As such, I found it to be hopeless, lost, and devoid of color and life.

It's definitely not that, it's very colorful and very alive. :)

It is exhausting to me to be the means of my own deliverance—I know, and have experienced, the result of getting my own will and I find it to be life-draining and death.

The benefits certainly don't come without exerting effort :)

It is depressing to think of the only goal in life to be that of escape from pain by becoming devoid of all desire. It seems like an incredible empty place, with no hope or desire to experience beauty, fulfillment, completion, or the joy of redemption and life in the midst of pain. Pain does not even get to have a place or purpose in life, it is simply something to be escaped from.

This is a fairly common misunderstanding. It is not about escaping pain. It is more about not letting pain interfere with your happiness. The experience of pain usually causes unhappiness for most people. This need not be the case. As the Dalai Lama has said "pain is inevitable, suffering is optional" It is possible to experience pain without becoming unhappy :)

I feel the loss of not being called up, invited to a higher standard. To be, one day, pure and holy and perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect. To hear the words “well done” and enter into the joy therein. To be part of a bigger story, a grand epic, in which there is good and bad, purpose and direction. Rather, I am told to “do what feels right for you, glad you found what works for you.” The standard is left to myself, which, as I mentioned earlier, I, by-myself, am devoid of life. It seems to me to be a very lonely and sad existence, more a way of coping than living.

There is a calling up with the idea of a Bodhisattva. The "Bodhisattva vow" is a vow to save all beings from suffering. This is a great calling. It is an invitation to a much higher standard. A standard that causes no harm to anyone, but only helps. With the primary focus in life being kindness, love and compassion.

Thus, I can only hope and pray that as life continues they will meet and encounter the reality of the living God in real and tangible ways that cannot be denied—whether displayed in his people, or by miraculous displays of his spirit—and come to know life in Him to the fullest (John 10:10).

Thanks! :)
    edited April 2011
    @abeb:

State Conclusions you can make from the responses:
    -There is a general sentiment of well-being and contentment knowing they are not tied or dependent upon anyone else. Well-being rests on them alone, and there is no fear of judgment or accountability.
    So far: correct.
    They do not believe, nor concern themselves, with the belief or following of God. He is an unnecessary element to their self-sustained lives.
    It is not so much that he (or she) is unnecessary. It is that s/he is an unprovable concept. therefore, speculation one way or the other, is not conducive to progress. God might exist, s/he might not. No way of knowing. But best to live life in Grace and goodness, than in an alternative way. Only time will tell...
    After-life is generally rebirth or reincarnation. Essentially the belief is simply do good, be a good person, and things will be alright.
    This is too simplistic, and as such, flawed....Christ recommended in his New Commandment, that we love one another, as he has loved us.
    This is the essence of Wise Compassion, Loving Kindness, Equanimity and Joy, In Buddhism. It's essentially, the same thing...
    -There is no salvation. There is only escape from suffering, and that is the absence or vanishing of desire.
    Not so. Some desire is constructive, such as your desire to be a good Christian and follow God, for example. The negative aspect of desire is clinging or grasping that which is impermanent, empty of inherent existence, transitory, fleeting and superficial.
    Big difference.
    Religious leaders have about as much stance and influence as they decide to give them—similar to their stance on God (the difference being that, to them, he most likely does not exist).
    Again, this is a narrow view.
    it depends which Tradition you ask. For example, while Theravadan practitioners admire the Dalai Lama, he is from a different tradition, and as such, not a 'leader' to all Buddhists. There is a difference between having respect for someone, and following them as a leader.... The Buddha advised us though, that we should be a lamp unto ourselves. In other words, that if we wanted to follow a specific credo, we should ensure for ourselves that it was credible, sincere, wise, honest, logical and sound.
    They believe they have become more open-minded, and as a result, perhaps more alive or more free.
    And this would be a good thing, wouldn't it?
    There is no God to be concerned with. If others wish to find God, then its good for them. Life is simply good action or bad action, resulting in a good re-birth, or bad, until the vanishing of all desire.
    -What works for you works for you.
    Life is the understanding of what suffering exactly is, and how to transcend it.
    Good and bad are merely based upon perception, and as such, relative.
    Again, your discernment is flawed, and you have misunderstood the concept.
    maybe the questions should have been structured differently.
    I felt exhausted, trapped, and depressed. ... I find it easy to place myself in their shoes, identify, and view the world through their eyes. As such, I found it to be hopeless, lost, and devoid of color and life.
    I cannot tell you how flawed, prejudiced and wide-off-the mark you are with this statement.
    We feel liberated, renewed, genuinely content.
    I would go so far as to say that the way you feel - hopeless, lost, devoid of colour and life - is exactly how I felt when exploring the Catholic religion I was born into, before turning to Buddhism. And I spent 40 years like that.
    It is depressing to think of the only goal in life to be that of escape from pain by becoming devoid of all desire. .... Pain does not even get to have a place or purpose in life, it is simply something to be escaped from.
    Tell me - why would you willingly remain in a place of pain when you can, through your own efforts, get yourself out of it?
    "Escaping pain by becoming devoid of all desire", is wildly inaccurate.
    You are painting a picture of Buddhism that has been perpetuated by those ignorant of it, for hundreds of years. I am disappointed in you, in that, having agreed to engage and listen to people here, it seems that shrouded by your own perception from an opposite dimension, you have singularly failed to understand our viewpoint, but have covered our information with your own assumption.
    I feel the loss of not being called up, invited to a higher standard. To be, one day, pure and holy and perfect as my heavenly Father is perfect. To hear the words “well done” and enter into the joy therein. ..... Rather, I am told to “do what feels right for you, glad you found what works for you.” The standard is left to myself, which, as I mentioned earlier, I, by-myself, am devoid of life. It seems to me to be a very lonely and sad existence, more a way of coping than living.
    You misunderstand. The standard which has been left to you, and which you feel is right for you, is your faith in God. You should be pleased that, rather than have anyone on here try to challenge your own choice, volition and calling, we have all backed your personal decision to devote yourself to God, and be true to your calling. Nobody has held a gun to your head, and told you to abandon your Christian faith, but there again, nobody has held a gun to your head, and forced you to follow your Christian faith, either.
    you have chosen to do that. by yourself. of your own free will. so, you are doing what feels right for you, and what works for you.

Why are you despondent that we have given you such comment, exactly?
    I have already done so. These people tend to be very respectful, open, and tolerant,..... and are quite open to discussion. It is easy, and enjoyable, to continue conversation with them. They can become frustrated with those who try to force religion down their throats .... Thus, I can only hope and pray that as life continues they will meet and encounter the reality of the living God in real and tangible ways that cannot be denied—whether displayed in his people, or by miraculous displays of his spirit—and come to know life in Him to the fullest
    Well, given that most of us took the conscious, free-willed, personal and definitive decision to do the exact opposite, and we're very happy with this decision, I'm sure we can leave it at that.
    we would never dare, presume, assume or consider trying to dissuade you from your calling, and fully accept your decision in that.
    Obviously, you will agree to do the same.

Many of us are much older than you, and have been through various stages of religious calling and experience.
    so I rather think any discussion of the reality of a living god, on this forum, is going to be both futile and unrewarding.
    if you're truly completely fulfilled in your calling, then that's wonderful.

But please understand, and make no mistake: So are we.

abe
    The idea that by following some guidelines you can actually achieve a state of mind you can always come back to. That one's happiness is not dependent upon the circumstances but rather ones view of the world.

abe
    The huge amount of information that has accumulated as a result of many marvelous teachers. It is sometimes hard to decide when you got enough reading^^ But this is also a good thing of course, if you have a question there's a big chance that it's happened to someone in 2k years^^

abe
    The subject of flamewars, online and offline. A word that suggests its time to run away as fast as you can when someone mentions it XD Something to blame or use as an end to justify any "means". An old hypothesis of the laws of the world that really tells nothing, because if something happens because of God, it might have happened because of any other irrelevant thing as well, for example the popular one is "energy"^^.

abe
    Your neurons decompose, you thus stop thinking. What happens when thought ceases can supposedly be experienced in meditation if you do it long enough (not quite there yet). I'm guessing something similar to that. "You" change form and your ideas become part of someone else's thinking, as your body becomes part of someone else's body (usually not necessarily human right away, but bacteria etc). You prepare for it by ageing, which is mandatory for anyone^^ What happens to me after my death is exactly what happens to a cup after it gets broken.

abe
    You can achieve a different state by following the 8 fold path. It is not salvation or even a better state. Living in a blissful illusion may be better than seeing the truth sometimes. It is trying to understand life without being biased by one's own ideas and misconceptions, but if the truth is better than living in ignorance can sometimes be hard to say... Anyway what i find interesting i check out, but i can't know if i'll like what i find.

abe
    They are as important as their ideas are insightful. There are not exactly what you would consider as leaders in Christianity though. I'm not expected to obey them, they are not any more holy than any other person. Who would you really consider the leader? The Dalai Lama? Any of the teachers/monks? Yeah they're fun, they read more than others, they know pali, they have clothing that stands out, i hear the Dalai Lama even has a Rolex watch^^ But really, they are human^^

abe
    Yes. When i was born i went through that ceremony when you get sprayed with water and such, so i'm theoretically still a Christian. A God really means nothing to me and never did, so i guess practically i was an atheist. Lately, i found out about Buddhism which made me see how many silly things i do just because i'm attached to things and such... Than why? I just happened to come across Buddhism when i was learning Japanese (although i gave up the later, the kanji are impossible >.

abe
    Some are silly, some have some good insights, but if thats what someone choses to believe, i'm fine with that. Back when i was "only an atheist" i'd try to convert people, but i tried, i failed, i learned^^ Finding God, thats kinda n/a in my world view.

abe
    If you think it makes sense, i'm not gonna stand in your way. I know it didn't work for me, but to each their own^^

Now i'm off to read the other replies, this thread if fun^^

• mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Hey all,
    So, the curious question, where does your standard of good or bad come from? what makes something good? and what is it that decides between the two, whether you should do one or the other?
    Good in your context is usually referred to as "skillful" in Buddhism. To do something this way would be not to do it out of fear, ill-will, selfishness and so on (don't remember exactly). Maybe if you want to look into it more may i suggest "Investigation Into the 'Ethics of Murder'" a youtube video by Ajahn Brahm.
  • As I understand the Dhamma taught by the blessed one, that which may be considered 'bad,' is referred to as unwholesome. And what is unwholesome? Killing living beings, taking that which is not freely given, sensual misconduct, verbal misconduct, and the consuming of mind altering substances. And what is wholesome? Refraining from killing living beings, refraining from taking that which is not freely given, refraining from sensual misconduct, refraining from verbal misconduct, and refraining from consuming mind altering substances. Effectively, any action performed with a mind that is affected by an unwholesome state (anger, greed, laziness, restlessness, or uncertainty), will lead to suffering. If suffering is your definition of good, then by all means perform such unwholesome actions, and cultivate such unwholesome states of mind. However, according to the Dhamma taught by the blessed one, any action performed with a mind free from unwholesome states will lead to happiness, and as Buddhist's this is considered 'good,' because happiness is the goal, and performing actions motivated by wholesome states is satisfying to the mind.

As to nirvana being the dissolving of good and bad, and pleasure and pain, this is correct. However, it should be said that Nibbana is described as the greatest happiness achievable.

The discernment between wholesome and unwholesome in the Dhamma, is that which is unwholesome leads to painful states and suffering. Whereas that which is wholesome leads to happiness and liberation from bondage.

The reason why we would like to attain Nibbana is because as sentient beings we have experienced suffering, and realizing that this suffering is unpleasant, we seek a path which leads to the cessation of suffering. This is why we listen to the teachings of the Buddha, why we follow his path, and why we seek Nibbana.

Hope that cleared some stuff up for you. :):)
  • @abeb

Thank you for sharing your assignment with us. It's good to see how other's view our practice. I'm sorry that you felt despair and trapped - to be quite honest I was not expecting that. I understand how you may feel that way coming from your point of view and understanding of God. The only thing I can suggest is to view the product of the religion vs. your understanding of it. I only say that because from your post it appears to me that anyone who does not have a close relationship with God as you understand Him is, by definition lost and in despair.

If you must judge, judge the product. Buddhism may seem depressing on the surface, but it is quite the contrary. I can't tell you how many times I've rejoiced, cried tears of joy, felt a strong personal connection with the humanity, the earth, the whole universe. It is quite beautiful, very powerful, peaceful and liberating.

But, it certainly is not for everyone. Most of us understand that. We're ok with others' practice, as we view our religion as a path and quite probably not the ONLY path. Christianity is a path, Islam is a path, Atheism is a path...we don't claim to own the one and true way. Therefore we don't need to convert anyone. It works for like-minded people. (I hope that makes sense)

As to your question of where our judgments of good and bad come from all I can say is that we've all had experiences of when someone did something bad to us or we got in trouble with our parents for doing something they didn't like - these experiences build up all throughout our lives and culminate into our overall sense of good and bad. A baby is not born with an innate sense of this - ask any mother and they will tell you all the struggles they've had teaching right and wrong to their child.

Take this example though: A baby is born to a mother who doesn't care for them. Sees their baby as an obstacle or a problem. Is not around much and when she is she's yelling, angry, making the child feel scared and alone. The child grows up in a poor country, where stealing, war, and rape are the norm. Their idea of right and wrong might be a little different than yours or mine.

Right and wrong are not equal across the globe, much of it comes from our social contract (law of the land, cultural influences, etc) and from our upbringing. What's seen as "right" in one country can be seen as "wrong" in another.

As Buddhists we try to understand this, but our overall guiding principle is the golden rule - "Hurt not others in ways that you yourself would find hurtful. (UdanaVarga 5:18)" This is not a unique idea to Abrahamic religions.

Hope that helps, sorry for the long post.
  • -What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith? Knowledge- Truth
    -what frustrates you about your faith? - Changing the facts to align the faith

-what does the idea of "god" mean to you? - Man's greatest creation
    -what do you believe about what happens after you die? Do not believe in any version until I find it by self.
    how do you prepare for the afterlife? Live in the present.
    -how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present? Knowledge

-how important are the leaders of your faith? not important
    are you expected to obey them? no
    -have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? Believes not but practice yes
    how and why?
    Do not believe because some one said or written in a holy book or some one superior told you. Practice by your self and realize.

-how do you feel about other religions? Any religion is way of life.
    can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife? May be i am open minded
    Explore - do not believe because it is written some where. Or taught by someone. Practice and realize by your self.

• Hey All,
    thanks for all your quality thoughts and interaction. It's greatly appreciated.

I do have one further question--as I've grazed through this forum I've read that good/bad is based upon your perspective/cultural upbringing, etc. Now, if you were to take this to its end result, do you not find the natural result of a good/bad based off personal views to be chaos? Everyone would have a different view....

Federica, I would disagree to some degree (if I can do so respectfully :) about learning right and wrong from our parents/context. Yes, it is true--those things strongly affect us, our worldview is born out of how we grow up (and we could end up in endless discussion about what affects what we do, personality and character or upbringing), but I would stand upon the idea that there seems to be some standard, some idea, something that isn't learned--which tells us what is good to do. I would also "argue" (for lack of a better term) that children, people, myself are also inherently selfish, and left to our own perspective, will always chose things for selfish gain (to the harm/sacrifice of others). These things aren't taught, I don't have to be taught to smack my brother upside the head, or selfishly hog the toy...it came natural.

..................................................................................

If I may, I would be interested in peoples perspective on a certain piece of literature, should you choose to engage it (and now I've totally digressed from the topic of this thread!)...
    I would be interested to hear peoples perspective, thoughts, feelings (if thats appropriate to ask) on C.S. Lewis's "Mere Christianity" --at least the first chapters. C.S. Lewis, though yes, is a Christian, began as an Atheist, and the book starts there from an Atheistic perspective. Some of the thoughts I you have shared struck me as similar to his thoughts that he shared.
    ..................................................................................

So, not interested in converting (though I'm not against it!) but I am curious....thanks again for all the quality engagement. This is fun, enjoyable, interesting, and (I hope) beneficial for all.
  • -What brings you the greatest joy as you practice your faith? - Buddha and myself are having the same quality of buddhahood or enlightenment nature.

-what frustrates you about your faith? - There is only joys and peace.

-what does the idea of "god" mean to you? - Is the true nature of all beings on the perspective of Buddhism teaching. If god as interpreted in the context of deities/heavenly beings, they are still in the cycle of rebirth, though enjoying luxurious life then human beings.

-what do you believe about what happens after you die? Become Buddha.
    how do you prepare for the afterlife? - As Buddha, I vow to liberate all beings to become Buddha.

-how can a person receive salvation, or at least reach a better state than the present? - Through education of Buddha dharma, as it provides equal opportunity for all walks of life to realize peace, love and harmony from within, as all beings having the inherent bodhicitta same as Buddha.

-how important are the leaders of your faith? are you expected to obey them? - They are important because they explored and meditated deeply to gain insight from within for the betterment of its students. Their explanation of Buddha scripture formed basis to realize bodhi, otherwise, most lay-students would have problem understanding Buddha scriptures. Buddha dharma is not obeying but realization and actualization. Their studetns honour, respect and love the masters because these masters lead everyone to become a master like themselves. They are humble and did not treat themselves above the others, as they aware that everyone is buddha by nature. They applies expediencies for student to gain insight, either gradual or spontaneous fruition.

-have your religious beliefs and practices changed in your lifetime? how and why? As all beings is Buddha, I respect, honour and treat everyone like Buddha, and only myself a student of Buddha journey.

-how do you feel about other religions? can a person in any religion "find god" and/or expect to experience a good afterlife? - They are Buddha by nature. In the true of reality, unless one “find god” every moment and become god of peace loveing themselves. Otherwise, they may be inviting demons who can transform themselves as god-like state to deceive by letting them mesmerize in awe towards god only. Experiencing of good afterlife is based on their personal understanding / insight of happy living.

-what would you say to me as a Christian about my faith? - Is your choice, and please do yourself great favor by conducting kind deeds to all beings who may or may not share with you on the same believe. In this manner, you would enjoy good afterlife.
    Om.....
  • edited May 2011
    .... ....
    I do have one further question--as I've grazed through this forum I've read that good/bad is based upon your perspective/cultural upbringing, etc. Now, if you were to take this to its end result, do you not find the natural result of a good/bad based off personal views to be chaos? Everyone would have a different view....
    Our actions (deeds, speech, & thought) are measured against its fruits. Unwholesome and unskillful actions gives rise to stress, suffering, pain, anguish, etc.. Wholesome and skillful actions gives rise to happiness, peace, joy, etc... If someone can understand and follow this simple process, I can't see how it will give rise to "chaos". Can you understand it? ;)
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited May 2011
    ............................................................................

[http://www.google.si/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBgQFjAA&url=http://www.full-proof.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Mere-Christianity-Lewis-chapters.pdf&rct=j&q=mere christianity pdf&ei=EwLATcv9D4joOdHDuaAF&usg=AFQjCNEFEph6yVa327AfnRdTQCfe0N92yQ&sig2=-WGiNSexMjgpf5axm7PMlQ&cad=rja]

"It looks, in fact, very much as if both parties had in mind some kind of Law or Rule of fair play or decent behaviour or morality or whatever you like to call it, about which they really agreed. And they have. If they had not, they might, of course, fight like animals, but they could not quarrel in the human sense of the word. Quarrelling means trying to show that the other man is in the wrong. And there would be no sense in trying to do that unless you and he had some sort of agreement as to what Right and Wrong are; just as there would be no sense in saying that a footballer had committed a foul unless there was some agreement about the rules of football."

1. Animals have patterns of social behaviour just like humans do, and they do not fight on every whim. I do not have evidence that would support either that animals engage in fight more or less often than humans do, and neither does the author present any.

2. Quarreling means trying to come to a common conclusion, even if it is out of the scope of what either party thought when the argument was first begun.

Quarreling to prove the other person wrong is a sign of bad social skills.

3. There seem to be some rules by which humans abide when interacting with others in society (there are fields of study that consern themselves with those rules, for example game theory; if human behaviour was really that simple, such disciplines would probably not exist)

"It seems, then, we are forced to believe in a real Right and Wrong. People may be sometimes mistaken about them, just as people sometimes get their sums wrong; but they are not a matter of mere taste and opinion any more than the multiplication table. Now if we are agreed about that, I go on to my next point, which is this. None of us are really keeping the Law of Nature. If there are any exceptions among you, I apologise to them. They had much better read some other work, for nothing I am going to say concerns them. And now, turning to the ordinary human beings who are left:"

1. There is a Law of Nature, but its broken by everyone. Thats a paradox. Might as well say there is no law. Like saying there is gravity but nobody goes by it. :wtf:

2. Alright, so he says there is a rule everyone should abide by, and that we are using this to justify ourselves in arguments, while we ourselves don't go by the rule. What does he want to be true here? That we are hypocrytes for expecting other people act according to our values when we don't? We might do something differently from other people in different situations. In one situation we will chose differently than other people, and thus might be shocked when people will act differently, because it is actually against our values, because our values in this case are tied to a certain situation. Situations are something that this author seems to conveniently disregard (Again, what does he want to be true, the existence of rules that apply in all situations?). For example, say that two people agree that "do not kill" would be a good idea to go by. So i don't become a soldier and the other person does not eat meat. What seemed like a common value or rule actually meant something that applies to some situations for some people, and to other people in a different kind of situation.

3. I feel as if i'm supposed to feel guilty while reading this paragraph. I expect he will offer a solution for these feelings in the next paragraph or chapter. This is a common method for manipulating people.
    [Kevin Mitnick, The Art of Deception]

"For example, some people wrote to me saying, "Isn't what you call the Moral Law simply our herd instinct and hasn't it been developed just like all our other instincts?" Now I do not deny that we may have a herd instinct: but that is not what I mean by the Moral Law. We all know what it feels like to be prompted by instinct—by mother love, or sexual instinct, or the instinct for food. It means that you feel a strong want or desire to act in a certain way. And, of course, we sometimes do feel just that sort of desire to help another person: and no doubt that desire is due to the herd instinct. But feeling a desire to help is quite different from feeling that you ought to help whether you want to or not. Supposing you hear a cry for help from a man in danger."

1. He uses a concept "instinct", which he does not define. He argues against the idea that we act on instinct without giving any reasons for doing so. He argues there is another thing above instinct, while not giving any proof of it. He ignores the fact that the calling he mentioned might just as well be labeled under "instinct". He does not present any evidence or suggest any experiment for the reader to prove to himself what he claims is true, but conveniently adapts a undefined term to use as necessary for the argument.

Shall i really read on? Does he make more sense later on?

In short, this is NOT my view.
  • Thanks Mithril...I'll admit, more engagement than I bargained on! great! I'll have to mine through it more later. I'm encouraged that you thought it worth it to read and go through. I would encourage (though your not obligated) to at least the whole section of book one...and no, you don't have to agree with him!
    I've paroused quickly through it again, and I didn't find the section I was thinking of. Perhaps it was in his book "The Problem of Pain," in which he tackles that issue, and I believe states, "How could a good and omniscient (all-powerful) God create a world and allow pain? Either God is not all-powerful, or He is not good, or there is no God" It was in one of the two books.....oh well.

To respond quickly with one thought that pops to mind: It seems to me that the common view is --the world is simply physical, what we can see, touch, and interact with. It is what it is, we see what we see, there is nothing more, nothing subjective behind the universe, anything that we cannot tangibly interact with does not exist, or at least, there is no proof of such.

If I may put this in a different light, you seem to be asking for proof of thought, or of consciousness. These things don't seem to fully be physical (though they relate and interact with it). In other words, give me proof that there is actually something that we can't see or touch or interact with behind this physical world.
    So what are thoughts? (how is it that physical experiences--influence thoughts and views on the world--which in turn result in the growth new physical pathways in the brain? each brain looks different because of it. Fascinating). What are thoughts? where did they come from? how did we come to have them? How do they result in emotions? What are words? where did they come from? ideas?

Do you see what I'm hitting at? there seems to be this thing called consciousness, thoughts, personality, character--yes, it is shaped and formed by physical and personal experience--but they do not seem to be physical themselves...you can't touch an idea, though it may express itself in the physical world. So give me proof of thoughts and consciousness. Fair to say?

I believe here we could get into Lewis "herd instinct" (which, I believe by this he means the desire for self preservation, to eat, to run from danger, to have sex, to live) But again, I will leave this here until I can better engage your thoughts.
    I'm going to take a quick few moments to interact with what was said by a few others as well:

Good and bad is that which is constructive or destructive (wholesome and skillful or unwholesome). Now, it seems to be that this means there are those things which are conducive to life, and those things which are not conducive to life. This is known by the fruit of said things. Now, it also seems to me that the fruit of ones experience seems to agree with and support anothers experience. There has been found those common things that are good for people, in general, to do. This speaks to me of some kind of similarity between human beings (you may say "duh!" :) some kind of common basic principles, some law of the universe which says "it is good to do thus, and bad to do thus." It is wholesome and skillful to do thus, and unwholesome to do thus. (Similar to the fact that the world is set up with the basic principle of gravity, though we cannot choose whether we obey gravity or not, we can choose to follow the basic principles of humanity (morality if you will)).
    Now, (perhaps I may kill this where it stands) I am obviously debating from the core basic view point that there is a God. This God has set up the world in a specific way (same as a car is built, per-say, with specific parts and principles which all have a special place in order to work and be a car). When everything, intended to operate as a whole, works together for its common purpose, it exists in harmony and works. Living by these principles, this standard of God, is righteousness (right living, living in agreement with the way he made the world), and living against, or in disagreement with the way God made the world is disharmony. Thus, my above perspective on common principles.
    The core difference, then, for the Buddhist is that there is no God (or at least no proof of one or the other). That is a very core difference in our views on the world. So perhaps the result of this conversation will be to speak in circles and endless pointless repetitions... :P which can be fun! but perhaps could result in frustration. But I am still very much open to more perspective.

To address another thought, I again (you may call me ignorant) struggle to see from an individualistic, perspective based, view of good and bad, right and wrong, ....what constitutes life as good? as worth living? what constitutes Nirvana as good? becoming Buddha as good? could they not be something that is bad? do you have proof of either? Sure, it could be said that it is based on perspective, but there seems to be some common agreement that these things are worth seeking--ie, they are good/wholesome/skillful to do.
    It seems to me that there is something desirable about these things for so many people to pursue them...but is not (again, I apologize if I misunderstand) part of Buddhist meditation to be the dissolvment of all desire, for one of the results of desire is pain?
    ....but then perhaps I may be ignoring the essence of what is meant by what has been said about "wholesome and unwholesome"

Have a good one!
  • OK. What you need to understand is that in Buddhism, we do not accept the idea that God exists. And we do not accept the idea that God does not exist. We set such questions to the side, and we undertake a spiritual practice that will benefit not only ourselves, but all of those around us.

The Buddha taught the four noble truths. What are the four noble truths
    1) Suffering.
    2) The cause of suffering.
    3) The cessation of suffering.
    4) The way leading to the cessation of suffering.

1) What is suffering? Birth is suffering. Death is suffering. Old age is suffering. Sickness is suffering. Pain, grief, sorrow, lamentation, and despair are suffering. In short, these five aggregates subject to clinging are suffering.
    2) What is the cause of suffering? Craving is the cause of suffering. Craving for feelings. Craving for the birth of feelings, and craving for the cessation of feelings.
    3) What is the cessation of suffering? The cessation of suffering is the complete, total, and remainderless fading away of that same craving.
    4) What is the way leading to the cessation of suffering? It is just this noble eightfold path. What is the noble eightfold path? It is right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.

I hope that might have cleared up a little for you. :):)
    -Tikal206
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    Hey.

I thought i wasn't really fair with my reply yesterday, because i just read through the book and disagreed with it, but didn't quite tell what i do agree with, or what my opinion of good and bad and such concepts are. So let me explain how i see things (influenced by the Buddhist way, hopefully someone corrects me if what i say is not Buddhist).

On the idea of good and bad in Buddhism, and why we all seem to agree with some principles:

Lets take the basic 5 precepts:

1. "Do not kill."
    2. "Do not steal."
    3. "Do not engage in improper sexual conduct."
    4. "Do not make false statements."
    5. "Do not drink alcohol."
    [wikipedia, five precepts]

Now you could say that those are basic rules of society (such as in the book you mentioned), and it is bad to go against them.

But Buddhism is more practical in a way, you don't need to rationalize why they are good, why they are bad, or why you are a bad person not to keep them or whatever.
    Now remember, those are precepts, not commandments.

The big difference here is that when someone does something for example against the "do not kill" one, if it was a commandment when you saw someone do something you would refer to it and if he didn't comply you might label what that person did as "bad". Or you might do it to yourself and feel guilty.

Now in Buddhism you'd go a different way about it. Here what actually matters most is the intention. Those five precepts are basic guidelines which to follow. Say you do kill. On the outside it may look the same to everyone when someone kills. But in Buddhism there would be some distinctions in a way someone did it. Remember, the goal of Buddhism is to achieve some kind of happiness that is as sustainable as possible (in other words "cessation of suffering"):

1. Say someone did something because he was afraid. Does it feel good to be afraid? Do you feel happy when you are afraid?

Generally, no, thus you should abstain to do things (like killing) out of fear, because fear is not enjoyable, and the decisions you make when afraid will not be based on reason but on fear, which may be why someone could make a stupid decision.

Say someone did something because of ill-will. Does it feel good to be hateful, are you happy when you are angry? Is this a happy way to live (in anger)?

Generally, no, thus you avoid doing things out of ill-will, again, when doing things in a hateful way you may make mistakes or choose worse than you would normally do, thus you should abstain doing things out of hate.

Say someone did something because was considerate. He killed because he saw a hungry child and wanted to provide food for him (remember, the Precepts in Buddhism don't only apply to humans). Now, isn't this a great way to feel? Isn't it great to be able to help someone? Isn't this a good way to live?

See, now in the last example, the lines get blurry, and it is not as bad anymore as it was before, simply because the intention was different.

2. When you steal, does it feel good to know that you might have taken something someone needed or valued? Is this a happy life if you live in doubt whether what you did was right or wrong?

Generally, no, thus you should not steal.

So this would be how a Buddhist would go about it. When you just look at what is happening from the outside you might notice that there's a bunch of Buddhists, and they are doing a bunch of things that seem to have some guidelines. But actually, everyone might be going for themselves, because by acting in a way they are actually doing the best they can to lead a happy life (yeah, that selfish^^). You just look into yourself and ask whether you are really happy when you do something. Now the precepts i'm guessing are laid out for people because most of us are doing things that hurt ourselves without seeing it, and the actions covered by the precepts are usually coupled with wrong intentions (hatred etc), making one's own life miserable.

Kinda like in Christianity you live and than have a God design a heaven or hell in the afterlife, in Buddhism you can actually see yourself laying out the torture devices and planting the gardens of heaven for the next moment, you just need to look closely enough at what you are doing.

• mithrilmithril Veteran
    Hmm... now what else did the Buddha teach? For example if you look at the 4 noble truths:

1. Suffering does exist
    2. Suffering arises from attachment to desires
    3. Suffering ceases when attachment to desire ceases
    4. Freedom from suffering is possible by practising the Eightfold Path
    [wikipedia, four noble truths]

Its all exactly the same thing as with the precepts. You see that you are not happy all the time, everywhere (this is 1.). Now here the Buddha goes somewhat differently from what people would usually do.

Most of us would imagine and idea or object and wish for it and think it will make us happy, and then get it but we would not be happy, and go for the next, and on and on forever. What the Buddha says is, wait, you already have all that you need to be happy (desires are preventing you from seeing that - 2. and 3.), and to realize this you should practice so that you examine what will make you happy, you should not speak in such a way that will hurt you or others, you should be aware of what is really going on with you all the time etc (4.).

Connected with this would than be the ideas that (we) beginners usually come across first, for example, impermanence. So many people get the impression that someone believing in such concept will be a cold person, especially when they hear about Buddhists meditating on death :eek: :D

But again, its all for the same reason as everything, that is to be as happy as possible as long as possible, not to suffer.

Let me show that by example:

Lets say you have beautiful object, for example a vase.

One way to look at it would be thinking about how it may break all the time, or worry that it might get dusty, or stolen, or whatever. So in an attempt to prevent it, you put it in a thick safe, you chain it to the inside, you suck the air out, etc. But what just happened? You thought you could save the vase, but by being so attached to the vase you are not even enjoying it anymore, in fact you may be suffering when you worry and have all other negative feelings because you think you must do it, and because its in a safe, you can't even see it and enjoy its beauty.

Now the Buddhist way to go about this problem would be to understand the vase is impermanent, put it on furniture where it is visible by any robber breaking into the house, where there is always that possibility that the dog might knock it off, where it might get dusty or just old and change its colors because air would be flowing past it. But the big difference would be that you would enjoy it, and even should something happen it, you will not let the "vase make you suffer" and have negative feelings about it. You'd enjoy it while its there, and let it go when its gone.

But impermanence does not mean that you'd just sit there all depressed that it will break (that would be attaching to the idea that it must never break actually). You will not still not let the dog gnaw on it since "its gonna get broken anyway". If it gets dusty, you will clean the dust off, and you will generally care for it the best you can, just that you will not do it for the price of your own happiness.

So what i'm trying to say here is that if you have a vase that is visible you are a Buddhist.:D

Nah, i'm joking, but can you see how the same thinking would apply to different situations, for example relationships? You might be so worried to loose a partner or just work so hard to pay for things you would get or do together that you don't even enjoy the relationship anymore. In fact, because you do it this way the relationship might stop being enjoyable for the people in it, or they might never see each other because of work, and even break apart because of it.

Again, the way to go about it would be, sure, care for the relationship, care for the partner, but never the expense of the people involved.

The same things and thinking also mark the line to which you can be both a Buddhist and a Christian. But at one point, Buddhism asks, if belief in God is taken away, can you still be happy? Do you understand that all things are impermanent? If someone insults your religion, can you still be happy, or even let it go if it starts getting in the way of your happiness? Or would you suffer to keep belief in God?

But this also makes most people answer you, that sure, we are fine with your Christianity. After all, we are in Buddhism to be happy, and if Christianity is what brings happiness to you, by all means, keep it, enjoy it, make your life better with it. It would be silly to give it away for no reason.
  • mithrilmithril Veteran
    edited May 2011

To respond quickly with one thought that pops to mind: It seems to me that the common view is --the world is simply physical, what we can see, touch, and interact with. It is what it is, we see what we see, there is nothing more, nothing subjective behind the universe, anything that we cannot tangibly interact with does not exist, or at least, there is no proof of such.

Well of course! Even to the point that Buddhism actually acknowledges 6 senses instead of 5. (mind being the 6th sense organ, like a nose, or eyes).

Thing is, Lewis takes some human behavior and argues that this shows there are common rules which we do not comply with. I argue, if he is to take what he does as evidence, it is as such insufficient, because he leaves out important factors (the one i mentioned is "situation"), and ignores there is a whole discipline (game theory) trying to understand principles of human behavior.

If you were reasoning in a way he does, you could take an object (lets say, computer) and argue that people get into arguments because actually they want other people to use it in a different way, when we all, e.g. by following a "law of nature", should be outside going for a walk.

Basically doing what Lewis does, you can take any behavior, and show that it is wrong and that people are hypocrites as shown by any trivial rule you make up.

Didn't like the above example? Lemme try again :scratch:

People get into arguments, when they want others to comply with Laws of Nature. One of the Laws of Nature is that people must sleep on the floor. Now everyone is doing it wrong, but think others are wrong and argue. For example, one person feels justified to get a rise at his job. But since the person did not comply with the Laws of Nature (one of them being sleeping on the floor) he shouldn't try and argue with his boss and expect him to follow other Laws of Nature (being payed a reasonable amount of money at work).

Again? :p

-----

tripple posting ftw *runs and hides from mods* :hiding:
    That there is the transcendent and the spirit and joy of life that is affirmed through and by our practice. That the joys of the world and creation can become known through a genuine practice. The genuine transformative ability of the practice. The peace and joy in the heart that can arise through only finding oneself genuinely. The genuinely spiritual nature of Buddhism is possible, but it cannot be told nor can it be understood by one who is not immersed within the genuine realms of practice

Misunderstandings are difficult, but of course they seem to be a natural part of Buddhism unfortunately. Words are dualistic but more than that they can never capture nor reveal the depths and breadth of experiences, nor can it really point to the inner heart of the practice. People, we all use words, to tentatively suggest, point, and indicate but they can never replace the realm of reality and experience that is possible for a practitioner of the Truth/Dhamma/Love. I feel it is a pity for people to be stuck only on the concepts or understandings, which I have also been fond of in the past.

Too hard to say

It is far more interesting to this one to know what happens in life. Life is death! And death is also life! How could it be otherwise. Unfortunately there are misunderstandings about this topic.

It is important to know who are you yourself first. Then such questions naturally can come to fruition. A longer answer is: We are all already in the hands of Grace/salvation, but our duty, should we choose to accept it, is to wake up to this and to actualise our life through it. There are much deeper spiritual aspects to Buddhism than can be gleaned from any book or method.

Depends on whom you are talking about but we are all grateful for those whom have actualised the Way before us, and those that will come after us.

Buddhism really hit the spot :D

If a person has peace and goodwill to all others in their hearts, they are much loved. The other questions assume too much but it is what you have been taught, I understand.

Don't stay with belief. Find the transcendence that is possible in all our lives. Find a life of genuine joy and goodwill.
  • I came across a quote today and found it fitting to this conversation:
    Those who cling to views, roam the world offending people.
    ~ Buddha
    Clinging to views/beliefs of "I'm right, you're wrong" is the seed of hatred and war. We all have this sense in us, it is only natural. We construct views of the world so that it makes sense to us or, to put it another way, what we believe has to be true in our own head/heart otherwise we would not believe it. And when something or someone comes about that challenges those beliefs we either suffer ourselves or make others suffer for not believing our world view.

How many people have suffered over this same topic for thousands of years? How many people have died because of their beliefs? We see the suffering it creates in the world every day and yet we insist on pursuing our ideals; on convincing other's just how wrong they are.

I leave you with metta:

May all beings have happiness and the causes of happiness
    May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering
    May all beings never be separated from the supreme joy that is beyond all sorrow
    May all beings abide in equanimity free from attachment and aversion
  • I think I'm a little late, but hopefully I can offer a little something!

Keep note that I'm a Nichiren Buddhist, and so I have some faith and practice that other Buddhists don't believe.

It's all about the change in life one has when one takes up the Nichiren Buddhist practice. There's an unshakeable source of peace, tranquility and joy in having faith in the Buddha, at least from my experience. As a Nichiren Buddhist, I believe the Buddha is Eternal, without beginning or end who is indifferent from my own Buddha nature. The practice of chanting 'Namu Myoho Renge Kyo' (which means 'I take refuge in the Lotus Sutra', the Lotus Sutra being our foundational text), I believe, allows me to embrace the Buddha, and therefore embrace my own enlightened self.

As simple as the practice of my religion is, the concepts behind it take a LOT of study. Indeed, the founder of my Buddhist teachings stated the it is Faith, Practice and Study that are the foundations for Buddhism.

Capital-G God to me is a christian/abrahamic concept that I don't really agree with, and from my point of view doesn't seem to fit in my belief system. But who knows, perhaps other Buddhists find it fits in very well.

I believe in literal reincarnation, and that one can hope to attain enlightenment, which would eventuate after death. I don't think there's any specific death-preparation, simply chanting and making offerings to the Buddha for our comfort would be best.

Taking up the faith and practice allows, I believe, for the quick expiation of Karma that can help us attain clarity.

There's no single 'leader'; Nichiren Shonin was the founder-priest of our sect in the 13th century, and we still follow his teachings.

I was a complete atheist before re-discovering Buddhism from my childhood. I guess I was just spiritually apathetic.

I believe other religions can lead to enlightenment, but that the quickest and easiest way, which I believe is especially meant for this time of our world, is that based on the Lotus Sutra, the central text of my form of Buddhism.

Keep an eye on your beliefs. There are two types of religious people: those who use it as a source of personal moral and ethical instruction, and those who use it to judge others who do not live up to their religion. Assure you do not fall into the second category, as it is these people who make Christianity a source of suffering for non-believers.

Hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if need be!