Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why Has Bodhi Dharma Left for the East?

B5CB5C Veteran
edited April 2011 in Arts & Writings
One of my friends is watching this movie for a Philosophy of Religion class. I have never heard of it. Has anyone seen it?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Why has the cat chased the mouse?

Maybe I'll watch it someday if I can, didn't know about it.
  • there was another post just on this. it's a korean film. pretty good.
  • Bodhi Dharma the monk or Buddha Dharma (Buddhism)?
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    It's a Korean movie about zen monks. I only got about 15 minutes into it, so I am really unqualified to speak on it. There is a subtitled version of it on youtube, which is where i began watching it, so search for it there, if you'd like to see it.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited April 2011
    This is a remarkable film. I wish I had more of a talent for foreign languages and had learned more Korean while I was in the country, so I could understand the dialog without subtitles.

The director is a famous Korean painter and teaches painting at a university, and treats the film as a Zen painting. The entire story is asking a koan, the same one the old monk asks the young monk in the film: where were you before you were born, and where do you go after you die?

It is filled with Zen imagery and allegory. The old monk ready to die, the young monk struggling to find answers, and the orphan child taking his first lessons in life, might be seperated in time but in essence are all one character. There are other important characters you only notice after the movie is finished. There is an ox that breaks free of its fenced pasture at the beginning, and we see it again at the end of the story, and the ox as allegory for our passions is a Buddhist image known over the world. There is a pair of birds that illustrate something profound about the duality of death and life and joy and sorrow.

It's a long movie, and like life sometimes moves slowly and sometimes events happen quickly. Like a painting, it's meant to be experienced in its entirety from a slight distance. Only then can you appreciate the individual brushstrokes that combine to make this masterpiece.

• Tone poem for screen
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran
    @NotaGangsta

Thanks for the link, had been rushing around a lot too fast and it slowed me down again. :)
  • Netflix also has the film available for instant streaming, if'in you have Netflix and don't feel like watching in a browser.
  • Anyone watched Samsara (Tibetan with English Subtitles)?

• Unfortunetly, the thing that stuck in my mind on the movie is the sex scene with the Indian chick near the end.
  • @pegembara

I watched that movie... glad I went alone.
    it was fine, but I wouldn't recommend it to others.