Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Heart That Smiles of Itself

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited April 2011 in Faith & Religion
Today I thought of the quote 'the heart that smiles by itself'

There are conditions in and of life and we all have to meet them . It is part of our due for being in and still, of , this world.

However, it is possible to meet those conditions with greater peace , clarity , contentment and, as some teacher or other said , the heart that smiles by itself.

Good luck and good practicing, even when it hurts . Because it works .

Best wishes,

Abu

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Your quotation differs from the thread title.
    Which quotation is accurate, and where is it from....?

Thanks! :)
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

Good luck and good practicing, even when it hurts . Because it works .

:)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Your quotation differs from the thread title.
    Which quotation is accurate, and where is it from....?

Thanks! :)
    Your wish is my command ! :)

Things outside and in

The evening of April 2, 1981, after Luang Pu had returned from a ceremony in the palace and was resting at the royal monastic dwelling in Wat Bovorn, a high-ranking monk who was also a meditator came to visit and to converse with him about the Dhamma. His first question was this: "They say that a person who was a yakkha in a previous life, on returning to a human birth, can study magical formulae and be very powerful in whatever way he uses them. How true is that?"

Luang Pu sat right up and answered,

"I've never been interested in that sort of thing at all. But have you ever meditated to this point: hasituppapada, the movement of the mind where it smiles on its own, without any intention to smile? It happens only in a noble one's mind. It doesn't happen in ordinary people, because it lies beyond the conditions of fabrication — free in and of itself."

From a Gem:

Gifts He Left Behind - The Dhamma Legacy of Ajaan Dune Atulo
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/dune/giftsheleft.html

Wording approximate but indicative.

Best wishes,
    Abu

• Good luck and good practicing, even when it hurts . Because it works .

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    So really, the quotation you gave in your OP is actually demonstrably nothing to do with the original quotation and its intended teaching, given that 'heart' focusses on the emotional and 'Mind' focuses on the rational wisdom of Meditation....??

Oh....kay.....

:om:
  • So really, the quotation you gave in your OP is actually demonstrably nothing to do with the original quotation and its intended teaching, given that 'heart' focusses on the emotional and 'Mind' focuses on the rational wisdom of Meditation....??

Oh....kay.....

:om:
    Heart/mind - words point, we use them. But no, heart is much more than that, not just emotions, and mind..laughs what a topic.

Divisions as you choose to see them, Fede, you are the moderator but fortunately not the judge. Thanks for your evaluations anyway :)

Best wishes,
    Abu
    My status as a moderator has nothing to do with anything I post - unless it is as a Moderator, for moderation purposes. So the factor is irrelevant....

My criticism of your post is both legitimate and justified, given that you have intrinsically changed the original quotation and placed an interpretation on it, that differs somewhat - in my judgement - from its original intention.
    so our respective opinions rest on what you think heart is, and what I think it is. As does the opinion of anyone else of course.
    But whichever way you look at it - 'heart' isn't 'Mind'.
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    A smile would come frome the heart, I guess.

Smile federica!
    ;)
    edited April 2011
    Frome is in Somerset. it's a lovely place! I have a friend who lives in Frome .
    She makes me smile when I think of her....

So you guess wrong....a smile comes from the Mind, not the heart.
    As does everything else.

All things are Mind-wrought. ;)
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    I'm glad my spelling mistake (indirectly) made you smile.
    me too..... :)
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited May 2011

My criticism of your post is both legitimate and justified
    Glad we got that cleared up !
    you have intrinsically changed the original quotation and placed an interpretation on it, that differs somewhat - in my judgement - from its original intention.
    so our respective opinions rest on what you think heart is, and what I think it is. As does the opinion of anyone else of course.
    But whichever way you look at it - 'heart' isn't 'Mind'.
    Fede you are free to read my posts without your condemnatory judgements but if you cannot help yourself, then perhaps you would be courteous enough to recognise that many words in our traditions use the words heart/mind intrinsically together.

If that still does not satisfy you, perhaps you can apply to the Debate team for the trophy of triumph and self certainty.

The smile comes from the heart but like Ajahn Chah said, you would have to find that out for yourself first. (Google it yourself if you want the Spanish inquisition. Terms are smile Ajahn Chah.) Good luck.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I believe the problem was with you changing the wording (recognize that words mean different things to different people) and trying to sell it as something it was not. I know that I would have appreciated you giving us the original wording first. Then giving your interpretation. That way we could read it ourselves then see whether or not we agree with you. Didn't seem like anybody was saying that your interpretation was bad. It's not a matter a matter of who is right and wrong, but being mindful enough to let others see the truth himself/herself :)

With metta!