Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope John Paul II Sainthood

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited April 2011 in Faith & Religion
I have just been reading about Pope John Pauls sainthood, and how sainthoods are given out in the catholic church. Very interesting, reading the article below I am rather surprised how easily it is to be given a sainthood, the steps given are below

"The process, which cannot begin until at least five years after the candidate's death unless the pope waives that waiting period, involves scrutinising evidence of their holiness, work and signs that people are drawn to prayer through their example:

First stage: individual is declared a 'servant of God'
Second stage: individual is called 'venerable'
Third stage (requires a miracle attributed to candidate's intercession): beatification, when individual is declared blessed
Fourth stage (requires a further authenticated miracle): candidate is canonised as a saint for veneration by Church"

I wonder if the third and fourth stage have actually been authenticated scientifically or beyond reasonable doubt, hmm Im not convinced.

Saying that the choosing of the Dali Lama is not very scientific either. :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-13207940

With Metta

Comments

• Being raised in a catholic country, I have developed dislike to this church. However, I believe that they look at the whole life of the person before giving the sainthood.
    Buddhists choose the next head of the church based on even less rational facts. No criticism here except that this method is too open to the politicks and manipulation.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Being raised in a catholic country, I have developed dislike to this church. However, I believe that they look at the whole life of the person before giving the sainthood.
    Buddhists choose the next head of the church based on even less rational facts. No criticism here except that this method is too open to the politicks and manipulation.
    Politics and manipulation...probably. Superstition, also.

• Anyway, any ‘’church’ is full of contradictions, manipulation and politics.
    The message of most of the religions is almost the same.
    However, it has got totally corrupted by politicians in robes through the ages.
  • edited April 2011
    Being raised in a catholic country, I have developed dislike to this church. However, I believe that they look at the whole life of the person before giving the sainthood.
    Politics and manipulation...probably. Superstition, also.

Propably ?????to Vatican full of corruption, politics and manipulation!!!!!

The same goes for many other religions.
  • edited April 2011
    I will not even mention here Islam. /church not a religion/
    Pure manipulation of Koran.
  • Zid,

How easy it is to obtain sainthood ? You have to create a miracle..twice! Seems rather impossible if you ask me.
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Zid,

How easy it is to obtain sainthood ? You have to create a miracle..twice! Seems rather impossible if you ask me.
    Depends what the definition of a miracle is and who decides if it is a miracle, in the case of John Paul II, I'm not convinced it was a miracle or that he had anything to do directly with the nun being cured. Anyway according to the article its easier to become a saint since John Paul II dropped the office of "Devil's advocate" which was an official whose job was to try to knock down the case for sainthood and on top of that the required number of miracles was dropped. So sainthood was fast tracked under John Paul II, which seems a bit unfair on all those people who missed out before this was introduced :-/ .

Anyway what do I know, all this miracle stuff is beyond my comprehension. :wow:

With Metta
  • Why would you assume that scientific verification is the only valid form of verification? In other words, you believe in science the way some believe in religions, right? On faith? The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works, but it operates outside the normal sphere of reality incorporated by science. Is it immune to political manipulation or outright fakery? Of course not. Anytime sentient human beings are involved there is the potential for corruption. But on the other hand, there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds. That can only take you so far. Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?
    edited April 2011
    Why would you assume that scientific verification is the only valid form of verification? In other words, you believe in science the way some believe in religions, right? On faith? The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works, but it operates outside the normal sphere of reality incorporated by science. Is it immune to political manipulation or outright fakery? Of course not. Anytime sentient human beings are involved there is the potential for corruption. But on the other hand, there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds. That can only take you so far. Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?
    I never said it was the only valid verification , I just wondered if it had been used. I was wondering if there is any logical reasoning behind the decision or if it was just a group of people who got together and said "yeah lets give him a sainthood, it will boost the churches profile and give another icon for our followers", I think the latter.

Regarding the Dali Lama, I believe he was considering appointing his successor himself, and not by the traditional method because of the political manipulation or outright fakery you talk about and even so, I think that the position of Dali Lama is more of a traditional position of status again an icon for tibetans, rather than someone special who was born to be the Dali Lama, but thats just my opinion.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7103841.stm

And I agree with you there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds, this I have no doubt about, moreover, a lot of good scientific theories have arisen out of the illogical.

With Metta
  • edited April 2011
    Why would you assume that scientific verification is the only valid form of verification? In other words, you believe in science the way some believe in religions, right? On faith? The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works, but it operates outside the normal sphere of reality incorporated by science. Is it immune to political manipulation or outright fakery? Of course not. Anytime sentient human beings are involved there is the potential for corruption. But on the other hand, there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds. That can only take you so far. Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?

‘’there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical mind’’

Exactly.

However, as soon you leave logical mind, you are open to interpretations, assumptions and emotions.

As to your statement:

‘’Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?’’

Not science. However, ‘’there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical mind’’

Exactly.

However as soon you leave this platform you are open to interpretations, assumptions and emotions.

As to your statement:

‘’Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?’’

Not at all. However, enlightement is just a speculation.

• As to this:

''And I agree with you there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds, this I have no doubt about, moreover, a lot of good scientific theories have arisen out of the illogical. ''

Could not agree more.

However, look at the price the humanity paid for it.

Believing for centuries that Sun was a God.

People who were burned at stake for claiming that the earth is not a middle of the universe.

Precedent scientists who went to the histories obscurity only because their views did not agree with churches teaching.

Religion has stopped science development only because it has questioned the faith its dogmas.

• At least Buddhism gives you the freedom. Buddhism per se.

If you look at its history you will see also that there have been many attempts to dogmatize it.
  • Hi tess, what do you mean by freedom ? I mean what freedoms do Buddhism give that other religions do not give ?

With Metta
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    As to this:

''And I agree with you there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds, this I have no doubt about, moreover, a lot of good scientific theories have arisen out of the illogical. ''

Could not agree more.

People who were burned at stake for claiming that the earth is not a middle of the universe.

Precedent scientists who went to the histories obscurity only because their views did not agree with churches teaching.

Religion has stopped science development only because it has questioned the faith its dogmas.

Very good points, Tess!!!
  • Hi tess, what do you mean by freedom ? I mean what freedoms do Buddhism give that other religions do not give ?

With Metta
    Freedom to trust yourself and to develop our consciousness without being under the pressure from the doctrine.

• Why would you assume that scientific verification is the only valid form of verification? In other words, you believe in science the way some believe in religions, right? On faith? The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works, but it operates outside the normal sphere of reality incorporated by science. Is it immune to political manipulation or outright fakery? Of course not. Anytime sentient human beings are involved there is the potential for corruption. But on the other hand, there are areas of reality that lie outside the bounds of our everyday, logical minds. That can only take you so far. Do you think the Buddha attained enlightenment through science or by some other method?
    How would you verify a miracle? If 10 people swear its true then it must be true ? if ten people feel it ?

"The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works"

time-tested? how ? works how? by what standard? giving children toys ?
  • As to this:

Could not agree more.

Very good points, Tess!!!

You look on most of the religions. They all come with the same ethics and philosophy.
    What humans did to those is a different story.

It is the shame that humans are so easily indoctrinated.

After all, we want the same: happiness, moral conduct and the ultimate truth.

• Ultimate truth not as an ego session but what you Buddhist call ‘’Nirvana’ .

Just a motivation or a feeling what all this is about.
    edited April 2011
    Hi tess, what do you mean by freedom ? I mean what freedoms do Buddhism give that other religions do not give ?

With Metta
    Freedom to trust yourself and to develop our consciousness without being under the pressure from the doctrine.

This of course depends on the individual not the doctrine. For example it could be argued that the freedom that a Therevada monk has training in the basic Theravada code of monastic discipline with 227 precepts (311 for nuns) is no more free than a Roman Catholic monks freedom, or a monk in any tradition for that matter.
    I think the freedom you talk about depends on how strictly a person wishes to follow a doctrine, be it the Buddhist Dharma or the Bible or the Quran etc etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patimokkha

With Metta
    How would you verify a miracle? If 10 people swear its true then it must be true ? if ten people feel it ?

"The methods used to find the reincarnations of the Dalai Lamas and other tulkus is time-tested and works"

time-tested? how ? works how? by what standard? giving children toys ?
    You said:

''10 people swear its true then it must be true ? if ten people feel it ? ''

Those are emotions.

Internet and the world is full of the same statements of people who will give life to claim something different.

Our consciousness and our emotion is just a subjective view?

The quicker we realize this better for us.

As to yor words:

'''time-tested? how ? works how? by what standard? giving children toys ?</''

The same way why we don't worship ''Ra'' - sun god. It took few hundred years to stop it.

With Metta

This of course depends on the individual not the doctrine. For example it could be argued that the freedom that a Therevada monk has training in the basic Theravada code of monastic discipline with 227 precepts (311 for nuns) is no more free than a Roman Catholic monks freedom, or a monk in any tradition for that matter.
    I think the freedom you talk about depends on how strictly a person wishes to follow a doctrine, be it the Buddhist Dharma or the Bible or the Quran etc etc.

With Metta

Yes. I am so sorry for not being able to verbalize myself in English. It is not my language.

However, doctrine and following it might give a comfort but is not objective.
    It gives an individual a relieve but at the same time is a huge obstacle to advance.
    edited April 2011
    Hi tess, what do you mean by freedom ? I mean what freedoms do Buddhism give that other religions do not give ?

With Metta

With Metta

Yes. I am so sorry for not being able to verbalize myself in English. It is not my language.

However, doctrine and following it might give a comfort but is not objective.
    It gives an individual a relieve but at the same time is a huge obstacle to advance.
    Well I think Buddha thought otherwise, or these training rules for monks would not have been made, neither would the rules for lay people been made.

P.S Dont worry about your English it is better than mine :) ,and I am English :thumbsup:

With Metta

• ''Well I think Buddha thought otherwise, or these training rules for monks would not have been made, neither would the rules for lay people been made. ''

This is no way I am trying to challenge you. I want to learn.

Could you elaborate on the above statement?
  • Don't worry tess, I do not see you as challenging me, I am a novice Buddhist myself so if I am wrong I am happy to see this and to learn from it.
    Anyway from what I have read the Buddha taught Dhamma-Vinaya, Dharma is the truth of what Buddha discovered and taught as advice for all who wanted to be free from suffering, and
    Vinaya is discipline and is what Buddha gave as rules, ideals, and levels of behavior for those who wish to be freed in this lifetime (i.e monks). Buddha taught that both Dhamma and Vinaya are needed to function together if the Buddhas path is to be followed completely.

This is just a summary of what I have read and understand, the link is below, probably best if you have a read yourself as I am not a very good teacher.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc1/bmc1.intro.html#intro1

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/thanissaro/bmc2/bmc2.intro.html

of course if I have misunderstood please highlight it, as I say I am by no means an expert on Buddhism and its teachings, and if I have misunderstood anything I would like to change this and begin understand it. :)

With Metta
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited April 2011
    Why would you assume that scientific verification is the only valid form of verification? In other words, you believe in science the way some believe in religions, right? On faith?
    The root of "scientific" means "knowing". Scientific verfication is a way of putting knowledge on a solid basis, grounded in sharable experience. It is obviously preferable for a variety of reasons to have verification at this level when possible, even though there are large parts of our life knowledges which we can't verify this way. And yes, there are corruptions of "scientific verfication" which are abused for manipulative ends, but at least the value of sharable experience makes it possible for responsible people to see through those corruptions relatively quickly. That is not possible with "knowledge" based on authoritarian faith, and that makes authoritarian assertions of knowledge much harder to trust as motivated by a pure commitment to the truth (as opposed to political or personal manipulation.)
    edited April 2011
    Please delete this comment; misfire.
  • Thanks zidagnus. i will read links as soon I am back on Internet. Duty calls.
    Thanks so being so kind with your comments.

Fivebells : Why to delate your last post? It is spot on.
    edited April 2011
    Fivebells : Why to delate your last post? It is spot on.
    I hit "quote" when I meant "edit", and didn't realize until I'd saved it, resulting in an approximate duplicate of the post you like (which is still there.) To clarify, please only delete my comment requesting deletion, not the comment preceding it.
  • If I meet John Paul II, I would say congradulations!