Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Irritated!

SabineSabine Veteran
edited January 2006 in Faith & Religion
:werr:
For the past few months, my two Christian best friends have been throwing "hints" at me and our Wiccan friend, Whitney - as in, "It's not too late, you know..." and "There's always time to convert!"
I keep telling them that I'd rather they not keep doing this, as it's very irritating, especially since I don't plan on giving in any time soon. (or ever.) But noooo, in almost every conversation we have, there's always something about God or Jesus or the Bible, and how it's The Truth. Gah! I don't mind an educated religious discussion once in a while, but really - is it necessary to bring this mess up all the time?!
I'm almost tempted to start trying to convert them to Buddhism, to let them know how irritating it is to us few non-Christians.
What can I say to make them stop? It's really getting on my nerves, and I'd hate to lose two friends because we decided to go on "separate paths."

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Sabine wrote:

What can I say to make them stop? It's really getting on my nerves, and I'd hate to lose two friends because we decided to go on "separate paths."

Say, "Goodbye". They're not friends.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Correct, ZenMonk. They're not FRIENDS.

Jerry Springer has people that say, Kick 'em to the kerb", quite appropriate for this situation.
    however, try this..

1. Inform them of your "understanding of their beliefs", but you want them to extend to you the same courtesy.

2. Ask them to refrain from preaching to you, unless the discussion is weighted equally between Buddhism and Christianity.

3. If they continue-Kick em to the kerb, sister!

P.S. I had a friend who wanted to get me into a scam called Amway, I told him if the scam is Amway I dont want to know...he persisted and I said "this is Amway, isn't it", he replied finally "Yes, it is" well that was 13 years ago-haven't seen him since I asked him to leave. I think you may have a similar problem on your hands..

P.P.S What ever happened to Christian humilty and understanding?

regards
  • edited January 2006
    If you have asked them politely and told them clearly you don't like it, there may be no way to make them stop.

Some Christians (and Muslims) see other religions/faiths as evil and unholy. It's part part their scripture, some choose to dwell on it. Some of them can't help but try to "save" you. It might be done in "love" and it might be done out of meanness too.

But even if done in 'love' they are not respecting your wishes. You might want to find some more friends, friends who do respect your wishes.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Sometimes, those who contradict us, or question our beliefs, opinions or views, can be our 'friends' - but not in the way you think, or describe them...
    These people serve to help us question and re-inforce what we have learnt; to appraise and re-examine what we have taken as our Truth, and root it deeper, if w still find it to be True.
    Say this to them:
    "Thank you so much for your persistence in attempting to convince me you are right; you have made me re-examine what I think, say do and believe, and you know what? You have deepened my determination even further! I don't know how to thank you!! "

*Big Hug, stand back, look at their astonished faces!*

And when they say -
    "That's not what we wanted to do at all!!"
    reply with:
    "Aaah, well, you see what happens when you meddle with subjects you know nothing about?"
    Smile sweetly, turn and walk away......

Just a thought.... ;)
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Sabine wrote:
    For the past few months, my two Christian best friends have been throwing "hints" at me and our Wiccan friend, Whitney - as in, "It's not too late, you know..." and "There's always time to convert!"
    I keep telling them that I'd rather they not keep doing this, as it's very irritating, especially since I don't plan on giving in any time soon. (or ever.) But noooo, in almost every conversation we have, there's always something about God or Jesus or the Bible, and how it's The Truth. Gah! I don't mind an educated religious discussion once in a while, but really - is it necessary to bring this mess up all the time?!
    I'm almost tempted to start trying to convert them to Buddhism, to let them know how irritating it is to us few non-Christians.

Ask them why they believe in th ebible. Ask them why they would believe in a middle eastern religion. I bet they don't even know where it comes from.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Thank them every time they say it, hug and kiss them. Tell them how much you appreciate their concern for you - then give them amulets for their own protection as an exchange for their kind prayers.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    COMICALLYINSANE, , they adhere as much to a Middle Eastern religion as you subscribe to a Far Eastern one....
    To tell the truth (as I see it ) to constantly refer to a 'them' and 'us' situation does nothing to quell the ill-feelings that arise. It's all about 'We'...
    I have a book by a man called Jim Pym, who is both an active member of the Society of freinds (occasionally better known as the Quakers), and a zen monk, who some time ago, had the conflict of interests bubbling ferociously within him, and who also harboured resentment towards Christian religion.
    His teacher told him,
    If you harbour anger and hatred towards religion, it binds you just as fast as if you were devoted to it through Love'.
    We have to strive to see through the self-imposed divisions and restrtictions we, as a society, place on people. These 'differences' just serve to divide and seggregate.
    As the Dalai Lama says, first and foremost, he is just a man, a simple monk... "reducing" our perception of others to the simplest level is far from prejudicial. On the contrary, it unites us all under the bracket of 'Being'.
  • edited January 2006
    Some friendships can manage despite differences. For isntance my friend and I at school...I am the liberal democrat, secularist agnostic Buddhist....My friend is a conservative republican, orthodox Ukranian Catholic.

We are really good friends and enjoy debating politics. Other relationships may be different. If your 'friends' only want to make you into what they are instead of respecting who you really are, then they are not very good friends.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    All sentient beings are "friends", I think. We serve and teach each other in ways that we don't always understand because we cannot see ahead to the end result. At times it may appear that we are being (or receiving) negative influences in a relationship yet years later we find the results have become positive.
    This is a good opportunity to practice impartial love. Try to find love in your heart for these friends. This makes a negative situation a positive one and the time spent will not be wasted.
    But wisdom will also have to be practiced. You will have to decide if and when the situation is no longer useful. When it is, you will be able to walk away with love, not anger or hatred.

With love,
    Brigid.
  • edited January 2006
    Sabine wrote:

Oi, I know exactly how you feel. A really good friend of mine used to constantly try and convert me to Christianity. Eventually I got so fed up, I said "If you talk to me about it one more time, our friendship is over." Later that day, he tried again. I ended up blocking him (on AIM) for a week or so. After that, I messaged him and said something like "I'm going to give you one more chance, alright?" He stoped. He said the fact that I cared enough about our friendship to give him another chance made him stop. He hasn't tried to convert me since, and won't. He's now Buddhist. :D

One thing you have to understand, though, is they actually believe they are saving you. Imagen if your friend was dieing of a cureable desiese, but since his religion doesn't believe in medicine, he won't take the cure. Wouldn't you do all you could to try and make him take it? That's how Christians feel. Well, that's at least how my friend felt it.

I hope I've been of some help, and I hope that your friends stop bothering you... Like I said, I know how bloody anoying it can be...
  • edited January 2006
    Hello,
    Just tell them you're dating Marlyn Manson:thumbsup: WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah baby Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Esau,

Good to see you again!

:lol:

Jason
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2006
    One thing you have to understand, though, is they actually believe they are saving you. Imagine if your friend was dying of a curable disease, but since his religion doesn't believe in medicine, he won't take the cure. Wouldn't you do all you could to try and make him take it? That's how Christians feel. Well, that's at least how my friend felt it.

WHAT AN INSIGHT! WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MIND YOU HAVE, CAPTAIN BOB!

I wish I had more of that youthful idealism. (I also wish the youth of today were idealistic, as we were, growing up in the 60s and 70s.)

Come to think of it, lots of "talk" irritates me. Just people always prattling on about something or nothing. (You'll soon see a contradiction to this statement. Well, I am of two minds.)

I think what is required from us is an artful way to change the subject, or perhaps use one-upmanship on people that irritate us by the things they want to engage us in. This should be done in a playful way, so as not to offend. It's late tonight, but I shall try to give a few examples in the next couple of days.

But what I am saying all devolves on NOT SEVERING COMMUNICATIONS by taking a negative stance to their views, but by showing a genuine confidence in your own views, you smile at them and say, in so many words, or without words, that some things just can't be communicated by language because words get in the way.

Sometimes (most of the time) people just need to be listened to. That's It. (So, I contradict myself. I'm not as smart as some.)

Shalom,
    Nirvana

I wish I were Jewish, because Jews are Smart.