Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jiddu Krishamurti

TakuanTakuan Veteran
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
I was introduced to Krishnamurti though the books of Bruce Lee. What do you think about his philosophy?

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Interesting.
    Different.
    Same...
  • We had a video on Krishnamurti a few weeks ago, a fragment of a lecture he did at the UN. It was strangely empty.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    We also had him in an dialogue with Trungpa Rinpoche which was recorded. He seemed very alive and intellectual to me.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    i used to read KM occassionally. I especially recall a book called 'Think On These Things' which I enjoyed

His humanistic psychology is very good, which revolves around developing inner awareness

but, when K gets serious, then he is just teaching Buddhism, namely, for liberation, we must see through the illusory thought of "self"

however 'being a light unto yourself' is the usual rhetoric. if K truely believed this, he would have kept silent

the buddhist approach is a little different. the buddhist approach is whatever we do in life, we examine for ourself whether that action or thought brings suffering/harm or whether that action or thought brings genuine well-being & happiness

the buddhist approach is slightly more structured with some parameters (rather than groping in the dark)

but in summary, imo, K is cool and very much worth studying & considering

regards

:)

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011

• ravkesravkes Veteran
    i think he talked a bit too much, led his followers to a theory instead of anything tangibly felt
  • sure...but all gurus talk alot

'anti-religion' is still a religion

'non-dogma' is still dogma

'pathless path' is still a path

despite the rhetoric, i always liked what K said

• TakuanTakuan Veteran
    Ah thank you for the videos Dhamma! I just picked up "Think on These Things" last night and I like it very much so far.