Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The connections made in the "present" life, do they continue or end after death?

HawkinsHawkins Explorer
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
The love between others on their journey's, does it simply-end?
It's very hard for me to believe that it disappears all together.

Comments

• How could it "simply end"? Even if you don't believe in an afterlife (just generalizing here) the love shared between two people lives on. It lives on in those you've come in contact with and, if you have children, in them.

The love you have for your significant other (or whomever it may be) is not completely independent and separate from the rest of the world, we are all interconnected in very deep ways and are affected by the relationships of those around us. When you fell in love, part of that love came from the influence of those around you and who came before you, and them from those who came before them.

So, yes, love definitely lives on. Even in a completely practical sense. Maybe it's a little different and not as obvious as before, but it's there and you can feel it.

with peace,
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    no, they don't end... but only the strongest go farther than one life.
  • edited May 2011
    In one way or another, things change, because nothing is permanent. The Buddha taught about the 'Three Characteristics' which are impermanence, suffering and not-self, (anicca,dukkha and anatta).

In general my view is that people can love others and then remember them fondly after they die. Children can be the results of love, there can be the remaining positive results of people's actions in life and so on. However with regard to other lives after death, we simply don't know for certain what happens. Sometimes I've heard people say to each other "Oh we must have known each other in a past life" - but to me that's just speculation.

• The love between others on their journey's, does it simply-end?
    The Buddha taught right love lasts for this life & also in the next.

:)
    "If both husband & wife want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come, they should be in tune [with each other] in conviction, in tune in virtue, in tune in generosity and in tune in wisdom. Then they will see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.055.than.html

• HawkinsHawkins Explorer
    The Buddha taught right love lasts for this life & also in the next.

"If both husband & wife want to see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come, they should be in tune [with each other] in conviction, in tune in virtue, in tune in generosity and in tune in wisdom. Then they will see one another not only in the present life but also in the life to come."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.055.than.html
    So there is hope! It's not that I'm worried about death, I'm just hoping for the same loving bonds that I have to continue after it.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    One of the main purposes of practicing the dharma now is to form karmic tendencies to be attracted to the dharma. So that next life you also are in contact. My teacher teaches the way to approach death is to relax into your heart connections with others which go beyond birth and death.
  • Sorry for being a party pooper.

I am sure you are not talking here about love to all beings? If you do, sorry for my Q.

Love as what? Attachment?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Then don't believe it.

It really doesn't matter.
    it's what you do now, that counts.
    Whatever happens after your journey's end, is of no consequence, because you will find that no matter how much you'd like to control it or have a say in it - it's not possible.
    therefore, do what you know you must do now, for the benefit of others.

That counts for so much - now...

Then don't believe it.

It really doesn't matter.
    it's what you do now, that counts.
    Whatever happens after your journey's end, is of no consequence, because you will find that no matter how much you'd like to control it or have a say in it - it's not possible.
    therefore, do what you know you must do now, for the benefit of others.

That counts for so much - now...

Please don’t take it as aggressiveness on my part.

However, your statement sounds like propaganda during communist times.

TRUST, BELIEVE , CARRY ON and hope for a best.

TRUST YOUR LEADERS.

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

Please don’t take it as aggressiveness on my part.

However, your statement sounds like propaganda during communist times.

TRUST, BELIEVE , CARRY ON and hope for a best.

TRUST YOUR LEADERS.

Well, as an observer, I don't see it as aggressiveness, but I hardly see it as Communist propaganda!

• IF I have overstepped, please warn me before you ban me. :bawl:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2011
    Ok. I will. :rolleyes:
    It wasn't aggressive. It was a recommendation that the OP need not worry themselves about 'tomorrow' because we cannot affect the future when we die.
    we can only affect the present while we live.

Communist propaganda indeed.... :lol:
  • I really have to work on my English.

''Please don’t take it as aggressiveness on my part.''

Being :

What I wanted to say:

Don’t take MY post as an attack, rudeness or challenging.

MY comment.

• Karmic connections continues life after life. Hence make sure you don't try to step up and beef with people homeboy! Make sure you develope good karmic connections with people by being nice to them!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    I really have to work on my English.

''Please don’t take it as aggressiveness on my part.''

Being :

What I wanted to say:

Don’t take MY post as an attack, rudeness or challenging.

MY comment.

You do just fine.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Death comes without warning
    It may come today
    Parting me from all that is familiar
    And all those who I love
    Now is the time to think of the meaning of heart connections
    Now is the time to think of what goes beyond birth and death
    The clarity openness and sensitivity of our true nature...
    The indestructible heart essence beyond birth and death.
    And thus may we abide in great equanimity
    unruffled by by attachment and aversion
    If you remain attached to certain people at the time of death, you'll end up seeking a rebirth that brings you together with them again. Same with attachment to place. So goes the theory. This is kind of a sneaky way to introduce a rebirth thread. ;)

Why is this on beginers?
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    @Vincenzi, It doesn't seem to be beginners material. Beginners should worry about getting a good grounding in what all this suffering is about. Moving this to Advanced.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I think its beginner because its a fundamental question about reality. Its not intellectual, but rather a question on what is the meaning after death. This is not advanced but is something even non-buddhists discuss and find meaning in.

This is basicly a question on the third noble truth.
    it is not beginners if it includes coments on how to keep connections after this life.
    it is either two beings chosing their next rebirth, or communicating somehow after one or both are dead.
  • I don't think they communicate with each other. Their attachments draw them back to each other in the next rebirth. They both end up choosing rebirths that will cause them to encounter each other at some point in the new lifetime.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Vincenzi, this is not an intellectual question formulated in theories. The question is if you love somebody will that love die. That is a basic question. When we see a dead persons body we know that they are not there. But people are reassured when you say that they are still in your heart. I don't know any who have said they don't like that message.
  • auraaura Veteran
    I was a child who remembered having been a woman and having died in a war in front of my children...what had become of my children? As soon as I learned to talk I asked my parents! Their religion both forbade and vehemently denied the existence of such phenomena, and so I was silenced. Forbidden to talk about it, by night I continually dreamed of being back in the war, in the bombed city, digging through the broken brick rubble, searching for my children. It was a world away from being a child of 4 years of age in a tidy little house with a garden, but the bombed rubble had been my world too, and not very long before. My parents relentlessly scolded that I had been sleepwalking yet again, what had I been searching for? My children! What had happened to my poor children?! I had died in front of my children! I was endlessly ridiculed and forbidden to speak of such things.

In this life over the years I have met several people I knew and loved in that former life. Thanks to the internet, I have finally once again seen the city where I once lived, and died... rebuilt since the war! It is halfway across the world in a language I don't know, but most of the buildings that were still standing at the time of my death are still standing today. Most of the streets remain the same, and my train station is still there, rebuilt, but the mountains of broken brick rubble that was once my neighborhood is all tall buildings and the city is much bigger now than it was then. Life goes on.

Unfortunately, my parents died before the internet made it possible to see what it looks like on that other side of the world. They never saw that I had told them the truth as a child after all, that it was all there as I had remembered it.... in a foreign country half a world away and a language none of us ever knew.

From my own experience I can tell you that the connection of hearts that is beyond attachment, beyond desire, beyond ego...
    the connection of hearts that is pure transcendent love between souls remains... irregardless of everything else changing from one life to the next.
    Everything else fades away, and the love remains.
    It is the most beautiful thing. It is helping one another along the journey.
    We are all still working on our issues, and seeing the other side of them!

It is also the great love, the great vow of the Bodhisattva, the love that remains...
    that all would see the light.
  • If love equates to emptiness in its depth and expansiveness, then it is the basis for the continuum. Impermanence is the assurance that all temporal, ego identified love connections end. Identifiable love connections through rebirth are wonderful, emotional stories imbued with heartfelt, experiential, personal mental formations. This is dukkha. The strong desire to perpetuate love is in some ways unnecessary - it permeates existence requiring no assistance. So hard to communicate that detachment from objects of love need not equate to aloofness - that rebirth has no basis in any former identity or love connection - that emptiness is form and form is emptiness.
  • Perhaps if we can let go of conditioned thinking and open up to a wider sense of being which is beyond "my" connections then the original question becomes irrelevant.

• Aura, thank you for your compelling testimony, and welcome! :bowdown:
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The connections have no dimensions. How does limitless space connect to limitless space?
  • auraaura Veteran
    Inductive coupling through harmonic resonance
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    The people who love you will continue to love you through their memories of you. As for what happens to your emotions when you die, they go to the same place as your thoughts, your memories, your attachments. What survives death? A few scattered memories? Some emotional attachments? If love survives, then so must guilt and hate and all the other emotions. Such terrible baggage to carry through eternity. Wouldn't you rather have a fresh start, and a fond farewell?

Why is it hard for you to believe that it all disappears? Because it's hard to let go of this life. We all fear extinction, the loss of who we are. But you can't be reborn until you let go of your old self.

In the end, like other posters have said, it doesn't make a bit of difference what you believe. Reality is what it is.
  • And Aura's reality speaks eloquently to the OP.
  • edited May 2011
    Buddha said, Love is Suffering.
  • Aura's testimony really brings home this sutta.

"This is the greater: the tears you have shed while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — not the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a mother. The tears you have shed over the death of a mother while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

"Long have you (repeatedly) experienced the death of a father... the death of a brother... the death of a sister... the death of a son... the death of a daughter... loss with regard to relatives... loss with regard to wealth... loss with regard to disease. The tears you have shed over loss with regard to disease while transmigrating & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn15/sn15.003.than.html
  • *GASP* So the Buddha DID teach rebirth, and he taught it to monks, not just laypeople! (i.e. it's a supramundane teaching, not just a mundane teaching). Thanks for the reference, Pegembara. :thumbsup:
  • But he also taught

"Ananda, if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of eternalism [the view that there is an eternal, unchanging soul]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, that would be conforming with those priests & contemplatives who are exponents of annihilationism [the view that death is the annihilation of consciousness]. If I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is a self — were to answer that there is a self, would that be in keeping with the arising of knowledge that all phenomena are not-self?"

"No, lord."

"And if I — being asked by Vacchagotta the wanderer if there is no self — were to answer that there is no self, the bewildered Vacchagotta would become even more bewildered: 'Does the self I used to have now not exist?'"

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn44/sn44.010.than.html
  • Vacchagotta should get with the program; the self he thought he had doesn't exist.
    Sounds like the Buddha is equating "self" with consciousness, while some schools consider those to be 2 different things.

But I'm getting mixed messages here. Was the Buddha for "annihilationism" or not? :wtf: This is a little confusing.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I think the Buddha's position is there was never anything new or separate created to begin with, hence neither eternalism nor annihilation can be correct views, @compassionate_warrior. Unborn, deathless, there are no things to speak of outside of mental maneuvering.
  • The Buddha taught that self cannot be found anywhere. Not even in consciousness which is dependently coarisen.

Since there was never a self nothing gets annihilated. This self is dependent on memories, thoughts and feeling, just thought projections.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    But he also taught Vacchagotta
    pegembara

the Buddha did not actually "teach" Vacchagotta

the Buddha actually avoided or declined to "teach" Vacchagotta because trying to "teach" Vacchagotta would provide no benefit to Vacchagotta

i suggest re-reading the text

edited May 2011
    Sounds like the Buddha is equating "self" with consciousness...
    Only to you...

The essense of Buddha-Dhamma is not found in obscure suttas that the Buddha taught to wandering hippies...

• I know. He gave Vaccha the silent treatment.
    edited May 2011
    *GASP* So the Buddha DID teach rebirth, and he taught it to monks, not just laypeople! (i.e. it's a supramundane teaching, not just a mundane teaching). Thanks for the reference, Pegembara. :thumbsup:
    You sound relieved. This is craving & ego feeling relief, not prepared or interested in abandoning craving & ego

This is why the Buddha taught two levels of Dhamma, for those who have no interest or perceptible need in ending dukkha

As for the sutta, it is misunderstood.

The sutta is not about rebirth. It is about suffering. It states:
    The tears you have shed over the death of a mother while spinning & wandering this long, long time — crying & weeping from being joined with what is displeasing, being separated from what is pleasing — are greater than the water in the four great oceans.

Long have you thus experienced stress, experienced pain, experienced loss, swelling the cemeteries — enough to become disenchanted with all fabricated things, enough to become dispassionate, enough to be released."
    The sutta is an exhortation of "enough" of the spinning around in dukkha.

As for those monks the Buddha taught, obviously they were no enlightened to any degree if he had to talk to them like children

Regards

• @ cw

Further conversations with Vacchagotta, the Wanderer

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origin, such its disappearance; such is perception... such are mental fabrications... such is consciousness, such its origin, such its disappearance.' Because of this, I say, a Tathagata — with the ending, fading out, cessation, renunciation, & relinquishment of all construings, all excogitations, all I-making & mine-making & obsession with conceit — is, through lack of clinging/sustenance, released."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.072.than.html
    edited May 2011
    suttas with Vacchagotta are unimportant

Vacchagotta was obsessed & infatuated with the Buddha in a worldly way, like a worldly man is infatuated with the outer features of a beautiful woman

so the Buddha here gave a teaching to eradicate Vacchagotta's infatuation

the Buddha-Dhamma is found in suttas such as the 1st three sermons

the suttas to Vacchagotta are teachings specifically given for the disposition of Vacchagotta

they are not the essence of Buddha-Dhamma & do not represent Buddha-Dhamma

regards

• edited May 2011
    The Buddha taught that self cannot be found anywhere. Not even in consciousness which is dependently coarisen.

Since there was never a self nothing gets annihilated. This self is dependent on memories, thoughts and feeling, just thought projections.
    @ Pegembara (not DD) How do we square this with the text about transmigrating and experiencing losses (sn15)? Clearly, he's talking about transmigration.

edited May 2011
    the Pali probably does not even use any term equivalent to "transmigration"

the text is a translation or "transmigration" from Pali to English

:lol:

SN 15.3 Pubbā koṭi na paññāyati avijjānīvaraṇānaṃ sattānaṃ taṇhāsaṃyojanānaṃ sandhāvataṃ saṃsarataṃ.

MN 38 “As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness (vinnàna) that runs (sandhàvati) and wanders (samsarati), not another.”

http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/03_mahatanhasankhaya.pdf

• Thanks, Pegembara.
    edited May 2011
    SN 15.3 Pubbā koṭi na paññāyati avijjānīvaraṇānaṃ sattānaṃ taṇhāsaṃyojanānaṃ sandhāvataṃ saṃsarataṃ.

MN 38 “As I understand the dhamma taught by the Blessed One, it is this same consciousness (vinnàna) that runs (sandhàvati) and wanders (samsarati), not another.”

http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/albums/asst/ebook/03_mahatanhasankhaya.pdf

SN 15.3 alternate translation from Bhikkhu Bodhi states "roamed & wandered" (rather than "transmigrating & wandering")

:om:

Sandhāvati [saŋ+dhāvati] to run through

Dhāvati [Sk. dhāvati & dhāvate: 1. to flow, run etc.; cp. Gr. qe/w (both meanings); Ags. déaw=E. dew; Ohg. tou=Ger. tau; cp. also dhārā & dhunāti. -- 2. to clean (by running water) etc.=P. dhovati, q. v.] 1. to run, run away, run quickly Sn 939 (cp. Nd1 419); Dh 344; J i.308; vi.332; Nd1 405=Nd2 304iii.; Pv iv.161 =palāyati PvA 2841; DhA i.389 (opp. gacchati); PvA 4; Sdhp 378. -- 2. to clean etc.: see dhovati; cp. dhavala & dhārā2.

Dhāva [Sk. dhāva] running, racing M i.446.

edited May 2011
    SN 15.3 alternate translation from Bhikkhu Bodhi states "roamed & wandered" (rather than "transmigrating & wandering")...
    But for beings — as long as they are hindered by ignorance, fettered by craving, transmigrating [roaming, running] & wandering on — I don't say that there is an end of suffering & stress.

Just as a dog, tied by a leash to a post or stake, keeps running around and circling around that very post or stake; in the same way, an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for people of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form to be the self, or the self as possessing form, or form as in the self, or the self as in form.

He assumes feeling to be the self...

He assumes perception to be the self...

"He assumes (mental) fabrications to be the self...

"He assumes consciousness to be the self, or the self as possessing consciousness, or consciousness as in the self, or the self as in consciousness.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.099.than.html