Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kung fu meditation

BJOBJO
edited May 2011 in Meditation
Hi everyone!

I'm going to an authentic kungfu school for over a year now. Since then I've also been reading and studying about buddhism (also meditating).

Now my teacher saw I was really into it and started to give me the meditation lessons for our kung fu. (He didn't give it to many other people since almost nobody seemed interested in it).

So now I'm at this part where I have to meditate, become mindfull and imagine a warm ball of fire in my underbelly that keeps spinning.

I find this very hard and was wondering if someone else here also did some kind of this meditation before and has some pointers? My teacher says, just keep practicing and I know this is true but I would also like to hear from some other people :) (since nobody I know in real life is also doing this)

Comments

• I've done this, as part of Tai Chi training. What did you find difficult about it?
  • I can't seem to find the ball. It seems like its always spinning in a diffirent direction and diffirent speed.

And to more I try to focus on it the more I lose my mindfullnes
  • Have you mentioned these issues to your teacher? Is there a clear problem with the ball moving that way? Can you give a little more detail about what you mean by mindfulness in this description?
  • TakuanTakuan Veteran
    I can't seem to find the ball. It seems like its always spinning in a diffirent direction and diffirent speed.

And to more I try to focus on it the more I lose my mindfullnes
    Have you tried creating the ball in your imagination? It's one thing to try to find something, but it's another to actually create it. Do the same meditation, but instead of just looking for the ball create it. See it. Know that it is there. Feel the energy pulsating, moving, giving off warmth etc. Once you have it, move it down towards your abdomen (3 inches below belly button) and keep it there. That's one of the basic chi meditations I learned.

If you feel your visualization skills need work, there is a whole sutra devoted to developing them. Look up the Amitabha sutra.
  • Here's an good English version of the Sutra:

http://www.fgs.org.nz/english/content.aspx?id=4514
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    I would stick with your teacher and not seek additional input from the Internet at this stage. More patience.