Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pope Benedict XVI views on Buddhism

zidanguszidangus Veteran
edited May 2011 in Faith & Religion
I just came across this article its a quite interesting insight into how Buddhism was perceived by Pope Benedict XVI

http://shotofpolitics.blogspot.com/2005/05/this-is-emergency-post.html

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    Very interesting, thanks. It's not surprising that someone would both mistranslate and take out-of-context what the Pope had said in order to belittle or vilify both Buddhism and Hinduism. It's clear from the full translations that this was not the Pope's intent. There are always people doing whatever they can to swing people toward their own beliefs, and lacking anything concrete to do it with they will "make" something, somehow.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    Interestingly enough, the Pope's statement re: Bin Laden's capture was much the same as HHDL's: feel compassion for the perp, but punish his action.
  • Yes, because the Catholic church has been corrupted by temporal power in much the same way that Tibetan Buddhism has.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Interesting!
    Thanks!~
  • Not surprising that someone would take the comments of the then Cardinal and put them out context. There is much hate for the Catholic Church worldwide, and some just want to vent it.
    I can see if the Pope saw Buddhism as a "Godless Self Asorbtion" in the context of the views of the Catholic faith. Granted, I don't agree with him mind you, but I can see his line of reasoning.
    The Author of that column deserves a few nods as he does a great job explaining the "lost in translation" of English to French. There is bound to be a few a few misunderstandings when dealing with language idioms being translated.
  • edited May 2011
    So let me get this straight. The idea of Rebirth is 'morally cruel' and 'offers false hope' where the 'streets made of gold' and 'everyone you've ever loved will be waiting for you' is not delusional at all?

"autoerotic spirituality" Leave it to a Catholic to reduce everything to sex...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Given the Pope's published slant on condoms and contraception, I take most of his comments with a pinch of salt. he's blinkered, biased and bigoted, and there are countless thousands of Roman Catholics in Italy who think he's frankly a jerk.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Given the Pope's published slant on condoms and contraception, I take most of his comments with a pinch of salt. he's blinkered, biased and bigoted, and there are countless thousands of Roman Catholics in Italy who think he's frankly a jerk.
    Interestingly enough, the Pope's statement re: Bin Laden's capture was much the same as HHDL's: feel compassion for the perp, but punish his action.
    If it was said of me my views were similar to that of the Pope, I would not exactly take that as a compliment.

:-/
  • Given the Pope's published slant on condoms and contraception, I take most of his comments with a pinch of salt. he's blinkered, biased and bigoted, and there are countless thousands of Roman Catholics in Italy who think he's frankly a jerk.
    If it was said of me my views were similar to that of the Pope, I would not exactly take that as a compliment.

For me I think it would depend on the particular view being expressed. Context counts.
  • If it was said of me my views were similar to that of the Pope, I would not exactly take that as a compliment.

He speaks very highly of you, DD.

:)
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Yes, because the Catholic church has been corrupted by temporal power in much the same way that Tibetan Buddhism has.
    haha! WOW! Did you say a mouthful! May I quote you liberally? :lol:
    If it was said of me my views were similar to that of the Pope, I would not exactly take that as a compliment. :-/
    wow, that comment is really generating some interesting responses! Who said it was intended as a compliment? Just an interesting observation.Fascinating projections are happening here. Actually, I think they're both leaders are on target: compassion for the lost soul, but the deeds need to have justice applied.

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    I think the main issue with both leaders is how people feel compelled to uproot their own views because of their authority. I have heard HHDL speak, and as a person he is beautiful. He has some clinging to views, sure, but his words ring like a bell for me at least 98% of the time. The pope speaks sometimes of humility and love, but I admit that it might be attachments (negative views of his Church) that prevent me from hearing truth in his words.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The Popes entitled to his opinion although personally I hadnt heard anything regarding HH's views on Buddhism or Hinduism.
    Its always good to be diplomatic when speaking of others though. :)
  • zidanguszidangus Veteran
    Interview with the Dali Lama

"Do you see any common ground between Buddhism and Hinduism?

Historically, Buddha Sakyamuni was a Hindu. So I would like to call Hinduism and Buddhism twin brothers. Then there are common practices like samadhi and vipassana. The demarcation comes in the concept of shunyata. Whereas Hindus believe in atma, Buddhists believe in anatma. In practicing ahimsa, Jains are more thorough than either Buddhists or Hindus."

Taken from

http://www.lifepositive.com/spirit/world-religions/buddhism/dalai-interview.asp
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Apart from samadhi, the rest is non-sensical, to me

From what I have read, HHDL does not even know what "vipassana" is

• Hmm. Today my chemistry professor said "Gravity is a law that we can't fully explain. We scientists have an incomplete understanding of gravity. There are eastern Buddhists that claim they can levitate, but I want you all to try and levitate right now. See gravity at work? We know it to be true but we can't fully explain why."
    I promptly levitated about the room. No I'm j/k! Honestly... this is an educated man! Where did he get the notion that Buddhists think they can levitate?
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Hmm. Today my chemistry professor said "Gravity is a law that we can't fully explain. We scientists have an incomplete understanding of gravity. There are eastern Buddhists that claim they can levitate, but I want you all to try and levitate right now. See gravity at work? We know it to be true but we can't fully explain why."
    I promptly levitated about the room. No I'm j/k! Honestly... this is an educated man! Where did he get the notion that Buddhists think they can levitate?
    Obviously we can't levitate. But there are a couple of members of our forum who think they can walk on water!

:nyah:
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    There are Buddhists who hop around and claim they're flying, @Malachy12, and there are people who believe it's possible to obtain some kinda supra-normal powers through mastering the mind which could include levitation. It's not a stretch that someone would say there are Buddhists who think they can levitate, though it might be a stretch for them to actually do it...
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited May 2011

Obviously we can't levitate. But there are a couple of members of our forum who think they can walk on water!

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

• There are Christians who think they can walk on water...
    There are Christians who think they can walk on water...
    Yes and feed 5000 men with 5 barley loaves and two fish :D
    edited May 2011

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

:thumbsup:
  • this is an educated man! Where did he get the notion that Buddhists think they can levitate?
    The educated man is confusing Hindu fakirs with Buddhism.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    There are Christians who think they can walk on water...
    Yes and feed 5000 men with 5 barley loaves and two fish :D
    Before we make light of Christian beliefs, let's keep in mind that Buddhism has some pretty goofy traditional tales, also. For example, many SE Asians believe that Siddhartha was born after the spirit of a white elephant entered Siddhartha's mother's womb.

edited May 2011
    @vinlyn I am not making light of Christian beliefs, I actually respect Christian beliefs. What I was doing was merely pointing out that as well as some Christians believing that Jesus walked on water, they also believe that he fed 5000 men with 5 barley loaves and two fish.
    I did not mean to imply anything. I was just making a statement about this.

:)