Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

awareness

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited May 2011 in Buddhism Basics
What is actually constant awareness and what does it require. I refer to being fully aware all of the time

Comments

• IMO it is simply being aware of what is happening now and not allowing your mind to start drifting. Think about when you read a book and you suddenly realise that you have not actually read the last two pages. Staying present is a matter of concentration, which is why samatha meditation is important. I can't even begin to imagine what it takes to be fully aware all of the time, it must take a lot of practice. But when you do focus on the present, even for a few seconds, it feels good as the past and future do not matter. This is a little taste of Nirvana. IMO though this is only part of what enlightenment means. You could be fully aware and have completely wrong view.
  • It's thinking about not thinking about distracting thoughts and realising you've just indirectly thought about them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Constant awareness is impossible according to my teacher. The nature of awareness is to diffuse and focus. Concentration is not the goal of meditation it is a balancing factor.

Too much sustained concentration can make a person have mental symptoms of illness according to the same teacher. Particularly in people who are already mentally ill.
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    Ever have a thought suck you in for a couple minutes and then you magically get out of it. Whoa where was I at?
    Notice right then that awareness is waking up automatically. Instead of being judgmental about this occurrence. You should be thankful that awareness is constantly waking up without our help.

Condition yourself positively by sincerely appreciating the brief moment of waking up to what is. Thus it will happen more and more. It's only the thinking mind that wants to get rid of the thinking mind. Thinking can be used as a tool. Allow yourself to get caught in thinking and magically you'll escape it for a moment or so.

Lol please read this and take it to heart.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited May 2011
    The heck are you talking about. You are aware all the time, if you weren't you'd be dead.

As far as being 'aware' in relation to being clear minded or 'enlightened'. It doesn't exist, simply because you're trying to change basic biological functions. No one can pay attention and be fully alert at all times without making any mistakes. Just try your best not to be an idiot. We aren't perfect people. Throw these supposed Buddhist teachers who are 'enlightened' and 'aware' into a desperate life threatening situation and see how they react, they'll react like the dirty animals that they are; ever read Lord of the Flies? You'll see how quickly all this Buddhism bull (awareness, enlightenment, on and on) will go out the window when faced with actual problems.

What a joke.
  • wow, that was pretty stern and brash.
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Sorry about that. I suppose my anger isn't directed towards you, rather the folks that try to dupe people into religions and ways of thinking when they're feeling hopeless. Definitely just expressed some of my own anger in that, my apologies. Buddhism hasn't really 'worked' for me, neither has any spiritual or religious teaching. I've sort of dropped all of it and focused on figuring things out with my own reasoning faculties. So whenever I see people asking questions that are in relation to a concept that I found to be complete BS I call them out on it.

But anyways, just my opinion. Take it as you wish.

Take it easy man.
  • As I understand it awareness is one of the stronger concepts of Buddhism and has been studied in great detail by many well respected, non-religious scientists. It's generally agreed to be of value and worth.

So while it hasn't worked for you it's definitely wrong to say it's "BS" or a "dupe" of any kind. It's paramount to saying laundry detergent doesn't work because it failed to remove a tomato soup stain.

• No problem ravkes, just be mindful of what you say sometimes and how it effects people.
    Not all religions work for people, for some people no religion will work for them as it boils down to mental disposition. I do not know how old you are, what your views are, but we as buddhists tend to not preach too much. We accept other religions, or should do, and feel the need to relieve the suffering of ourselves and others. Being aware and seeing the world for how it really is without attachments and all of these afflictive emotions is IMO a very good thing indeed. Again, as you said, it is an opinion.
    It is up to you if you want to drop everything and be atheist, to work out the world by yourself, good luck to you. Just realize that as in your post before last, you let your emotions and ego take over resulting in a somewhat negative action.
  • edited May 2011
    It is the inherent nature of all beings that Buddha attained, and Buddha has been preaching since 3000 years ago haha!. The nature is sort of like space where it has neither come nor go. Space present everywhere, it presents in the earth, for instance, when you dug out a portion of earth, you can not disclaim that the present of space is not in the hole you had dug it out haha! Awareness has it application, the common consensus is benevolence, compassion and love. While you embark the journey of awareness through meditation, the key is be notably etched in your heart of benevolence, compassion and love in all beings.
    Om
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    Nice post, Tom. :clap:
  • Awareness is a community activity, usually some type of fund raiser. :D ha! I think awareness is part of mindfulness. If you are mindful you are aware. Perhaps if you build on mindfulness you will also build awareness as in the Jhanas and beyond.
  • So what is being mindful, what does that entail... And I understand Jhanas to an extent but not a great deal :( I have been meditating on and off for over 2 years, yet reaped little in return. I think I am expecting too much or I don't know what
  • @ThailandTom, I am in the same boat you are in. I am in practice too and am not yet experienced enough to notice what those states are like. I have a feeling or have learned that it is an everlasting immeasurable pleasure. If you are ever in meditation and feel something of that nature, I am sure it speaks for itself. :)
  • yes, I have maybe twice had a feeling where I have let go of every thought or distraction for a few seconds, and it felt like a wave of bliss. But one should not attach to such a thing, that could prove to be dangerous
  • Although it was a little aggressive, I agree with what ravkes says. I personally don't equate enlightenment solely with this idea of constant awareness and I really don't think that is what enlightenment is primarily about. I too tried meditating for a long time and got very little from it, undoubtedly because I didn't have a teacher. I really do think that without proper instruction, concentration meditation is very difficult to master and dangerous (I think Jeffrey mentioned that his teacher warns that intense concentration can cause illness, I completely accept that). If you don't have a teacher and you don't seem to get anywhere with formal 'sitting' meditation, perhaps try what some people call 'living' meditation - make a big effort to be constantly aware of your internal world - notice how you get trapped in thoughts, notice how they arise and what triggers them, notice your emotions and how they completely infuse your consciousness for the duration of their existence, notice how there is a background hum to everything which happens in your mind which says "I, I, I" (to quote Ravkes, notice the "dirty animal" in you - lust is particularly fascinating). You can learn a lot from doing this and although it is no substitute for formal meditation, it can help you to gain some experiential understanding of both anatta and anicca. For people in my situation, I think this is best we can make of meditation. Alternatively, look for a teacher and learn how to do formal mediation properly and safely. Tom, I would really caution you about trying to achieve Jhana states without any formal guidance.
  • why caution jhana states? I am not being argumentative, I am just ignorant to them that is all...
  • Tom, I would really caution you about trying to achieve Jhana states without any formal guidance.
    It's always good to have advice from a teacher, or at least somebody experienced in meditation. But I don't think caution is really necessary with the jhanas, they are basically just more refined states of concentration which arise naturally if one is doing shamata practice correctly.

Spiny
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Tom, I would really caution you about trying to achieve Jhana states without any formal guidance.
    Attempting to establish, continue and progress without in person interaction with an experienced and real individual teacher as a guide would be difficult, in my experience - no-one online has yet to tell me that they have only had online instruction from a teacher - I can see that the potential exists though. I have regular skype contact with my current teacher, as he is keen on utilising the medium and we live in different states of Australia ( a large geograhical area ). I continue to have had much interaction with him in real life also and make the opportunities happen to attend teahings and retreats on a regular basis.

• @ Tom - I speak with very little experience of Jhana and so I would take advice from members who have more experience. Personally though, I would not attempt prolonged concentration meditation without proper instruction.

Don't get caught up in this, there is so much more to Buddhism than Jhana meditation, and all the other stuff can be done very easily, it just takes effort. I used to get really quite irritated that I was missing out on a huge part of Buddhism because I could not acheive magical insights through meditation. But then I just decided that I would let it go, I wasn't going to bother with that anymore, and I feel far more liberated as a result. In my very humble opinion, liberation is not something which requires control, it is the opposite. Try reading Adyashanti's True Meditation, this book was very helpful for me.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    yes, I have maybe twice had a feeling where I have let go of every thought or distraction for a few seconds, and it felt like a wave of bliss. But one should not attach to such a thing, that could prove to be dangerous
    It's better than being attached to drugs, sex and rock and roll. :)
    edited May 2011
    1. Right View
    2. Right Intention
    3. Right Speech
    4. Right Action
    5. Right Livelihood
    6. Right Effort
    7. Right Mindfulness
    8. Right Concentration

ALL of the above are required for Buddhism to work. If you only do 3 or 4 of them, then it should not be a surprise if it doesn't work. It CAN'T work without ALL 8. Mindfulness and concentration are only 2 of those things, the rest are just as important. But, before you can put fourth "right effort", you first have to know what right effort is. If not, then you can trick yourself into thinking you are making right effort, when you are actually NOT making right effort. The same with the rest of them.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    The way to tell if you are making right effort or not is whether it feels right. Mind is unimpeded so eventually the penny will drop and the answers will come to you. The important thing is to clarify and simplify why you are practicing. And to have a light touch.

Right effort comes through generosity to yourself. To give yourself the gift of the dharma. From that you begin to clear obstacles. Via right action and patience. From that comes joyful effort which arises naturally when the conditions are right. The first part of the path is sometimes called the accumulation portion where you are bringing together the right conditions. Sort of a gathering. Getting off drugs is an example of a condition.
    The way to tell if you are making right effort or not is whether it feels right.
    What if watching TV instead of meditating, is what feels right? Is that still right effort?

• The way to tell if you are making right effort or not is whether it feels right.
    What if watching TV instead of meditating, is what feels right? Is that still right effort?

No, Tv is mind numbing and has been named the opium of the masses. So I don't think it is all too beneficial IMO
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011
    yes, I have maybe twice had a feeling where I have let go of every thought or distraction for a few seconds, and it felt like a wave of bliss. But one should not attach to such a thing, that could prove to be dangerous
    No no, don't be afraid of this. You should cultivate these moments and make them longer because those take you deeper and are what make meditation worthwhile. Dropping thoughts and feeling lighter because of it has nothing do with attachment, it is the opposite. It's dropping an attachment. Most people are attached to thinking so much, they think they can't meditate.

But if you keep with the practice you'll find it will develop. You don't need to go into jhana states to be peaceful. In fact a lot of people mistake peaceful states that aren't jhana to be them, because they are that peaceful.