Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Okay, self and emptiness again

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited May 2011 in Philosophy
Okay so I understand that everything is interconnected and that there is no slf dependent from the world around us. We do now own anything, even our family or children if we have them, so how can you realize this fully. I do not have a firm understanding or realization on this.

If I were speaking with a friend about this and he or she picked up her super cool new ifone and said, 'this is mine, I bought it, isn't that obvious,' how would you answer that from a buddhist perspective?

Comments

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    What you are talking about, about not having a "realization", is not having (enough) direct experience of phenomena through meditation. The idea of impermanence expressed in words about things not lasting is different from the direct experience of fleeting momentary experience during meditation.

Vipassana is the key because it's something not in our normal experience. We have to see that even the smallest moment is here and then gone, that it has causes/conditions which lead to it (so is not self), and that to grasp therefore leads to pain. There are deeper understandings found through persistent insight meditation than any "thinking" will lead to.

The understanding born of thought and the understanding born of direct experience together form the basis for insight, for the arising of wisdom, which changes the way in which the mind perceives existence. And so I guess my point is that we won't ever understand emptiness this way (debates on a forum or thinking), but only through dedicated effort to insight meditation, watching phenomena as they arise and pass, will it become clear.

(Moving this to Advanced by the way, emptiness is a difficult subject and this thread will likely get complicated responses...)
  • If it gets stolen tomorrow, is it still hers? If a truck drives over it tomorrow, is it still a iPhone?
  • short but wise, that puts things into perspective. And thankyou to cloud for your info, I already knew that understanding and realizing are two different experiences, but now I know the key to this in specific is meditation, the hardest part of buddhism for me :(
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I always used to think meditation was this difficult, complex practice, and that put me off for a while and I tended to study and think rather than meditate. Then I learned basic samatha-vipassana, which turns out to be rather easy. You're not really doing anything, you're specifically not doing anything... you're just watching, observing the goings-on of your mind.

It's odd at first to try and step back and watch, and to not follow thoughts that come up (which lead you to further thoughts), but when you get used to it it's quite easy. You have to work at it though. Understand how to meditate and actually do it. That's the hard part. That, and wanting to meditate; a lot of people simply don't want to do it, and so they don't, and then they wonder why they get stuck on some things.
  • This might be going off the subject a bit, but has anyone considered trying an all day meditation to test on the subject of emptiness and non self? I have not but I think I already understand it. Just can't explain it to others.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    Okay so I understand that everything is interconnected and that there is no slf dependent from the world around us. We do now own anything, even our family or children if we have them, so how can you realize this fully. I do not have a firm understanding or realization on this.

If I were speaking with a friend about this and he or she picked up her super cool new ifone and said, 'this is mine, I bought it, isn't that obvious,' how would you answer that from a buddhist perspective?
    Well, if I was trying to teach someone something or maybe just feeling particularly snarky, I'd show her my empty hand and say, "This is mine. I was born with it. Isn't that obvious? So you were born holding an ifone? That must have amazed the doctors."
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    edited May 2011

If it were yours, you can will the iphone into green. Or pink.

You can't.

So it's apple's iphone, not yours.

See: http://www.aimwell.org/Books/Suttas/Anattalakkhana/anattalakkhana.html
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    It's not Apple's iPhone either, they can't will it to change. The iPhone is not intrinsically an iPhone for that matter, it's a combination of parts working together, themselves comprised of even smaller parts down to levels beyond our ability to discern. Before it was an iPhone, what was it? After it's been destroyed, where is the iPhone? There is no spoon *cough* I mean iPhone. :) If we can understand this for an iPhone, it's a start.
  • xabirxabir Veteran
    It's not Apple's iPhone either, they can't will it to change. The iPhone is not intrinsically an iPhone for that matter, it's a combination of parts working together, themselves comprised of even smaller parts down to levels beyond our ability to discern. Before it was an iPhone, what was it? After it's been destroyed, where is the iPhone? There is no spoon *cough* I mean iPhone. :) If we can understand this for an iPhone, it's a start.
    Ah yes, thanks!

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited May 2011
    We can use a computer as an example for humans, analogous (or is it metaphorical?) in a way. When the computer is powered on you have an operating system and all sorts of programs. You can do all sorts of things, receive input and output data to the screen or a printer...

Then you power off the computer. Where did those programs you were interacting with go? It's not enough to say they reside on the computer's hard drive, because they're something different and not remotely useful. Only with the right conditions do the programs "arise" like mind-consciousness, but they are completely inseparable from the form (computer). When you make changes, it saves those to the hard drive, and when the computer "wakes up" it converts them back into an interactive experience (mind) that changes moment-to-moment depending on circumstances and interaction.

This is like the body-brain-mind connection, where the mind is turned on by the body and uses what is stored in the brain such as memories. The body and brain are both form, but together (and with the sense doors such as eyes, ears, etc.) they bring forth the "mind" as the interactive experience of life! Mind and consciousness are not separate things floating around that exist independent of form. The mind of a duck is different than the mind of a human because the form, the brain-body, is different.

Or something. We have to understand that form and mind are not the same, but they can not be separated either. Form conditions mind, is required for consciousness and other mental factors, but that consciousness is not separate from form either. It takes a bit of effort to really grasp, and this analogy doesn't do it much justice...
  • I already knew that understanding and realizing are two different experiences, but now I know the key to this in specific is meditation, the hardest part of buddhism for me :(
    With meditation understanding will eventually lead to realization. The understanding becomes realization and you can't separate them. In one zen story a monk upon realization said the following: "From now on I will not doubt the sayings of any of the great Zen Masters".
  • The way I look at it, "ownership" is a useful mental concept. At a basic level it helps us keep our toothbrushes separate. At its best, the idea of respecting personal property helps us share in an orderly way. But then people get attached to that construct and give it more meaning than it deserves.
  • "If I were speaking with a friend about this and he or she picked up her super cool new ifone and said, 'this is mine, I bought it, isn't that obvious,' how would you answer that from a buddhist perspective?"

Yes, you are right, it is obvious. I agree with your friend.

"If it gets stolen tomorrow, is it still hers? If a truck drives over it tomorrow, is it still a iPhone?"

At the present moment it is her iphone, and she is right in saying it is.

"If it were yours, you can will the iphone into green. Or pink."

Even if I could it would still be empty, and it would still be correct to say it is mine, with or without color change on demand.
  • SabreSabre Veteran
    edited May 2011

No-self doesn't really have to do with the world around us, or with possessions. In fact, the outside world is quite stable when you compare it with most peoples always-changing inside world. There is no self within us, that's what the Buddha pointed to when he spoke about the body & mind having no-self, thus being empty. You could read 1000 suttas and listen to 200 dhamma talks and still not get this. You really have to meditate to start and understand this.

If you think you can't meditate you are expecting too much probably. Take it easy on yourself. :) But really, Buddhism without meditation is like drinking water without a glass. It just slips through your fingers and you'll never have a grasp on it.

With metta,
    Sabre
  • Sabre, Thailand Tom didn't ask if she is right or wrong. It's rather is it skillful to consider oneself as the possessor or simply as a renter? I bought it, it's my phone, is clinging thus rooted in ignorance of the four noble truth, thus it's "wrong view". Which doesn't mean she isn't right, only it will lead to dukkha. with Metta
  • There are no earliest records of the right to property, albeit the right to ground as property is not older than farming.

The concept of property, as @elenagreene also mentioned, is a quite desirable mental formation making sure that we can live in functioning societies.
    Imagine that property did not exist, hence there was no obligation to respect the valuables of others - be they food, clothes or gold. Life would be a war where everyone would live in fear of being preyed on by the next fellow.

I completely agree that no thing has value in itself and can be said to be itself, but we still have to make up some kind of philosophy which can support some kind of regulation of life, as to make sure we're all safe.
    The realizations of the Buddha must not become the subvention of life and society for everyone else.

So in relation to what @Cinorjer said about being born with the iPhone, it's obvious that you can't be born with an item in your hand - but it's also quite evident that the whole concept of property is in fact inborn. That way 'round a human is born with any possessions he or she acquires throughout life, which aren't handed over or abandoned.

How we relate to our feeling of property is a whole other discussion. Some people get angry as hell and rant and rave when their bike is stolen, some just buy a new bike with a better lock :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    "My" insurance paid for 'mine'...... :p;)
  • Sorry I meant to adress nameless River and not sabre
  • What is an iPhone? Can we truly draw defined lines on what is an iPhone and not-iPhone? There are an infinite number of causes and conditions, spatially and temporally, that all lead to that iPhone existing (as well as everything else). We could pick a small handful of some of these elements...

Within that iPhone there are the different people that made its composite parts in the various factories. Those people, in order to live, need to eat, and so the restaurants, grocery markets are within that iPhone. Those foods came from various farms-- those plants and animals and the farmers are also within that iPhone. Those plants depend heavily on the sun-- so the sun is within that iPhone too. There are other people and things within that iPhone: the truck driver who delivered the composite parts from one factory to another. The people who designed it-- and the people who came before them, who designed earlier prototypes of mobile phones and other computers-- their work is built on those earlier engineers and technicians, so they are in that iPhone. Even the old ENIAC computer built in the 1940s is in that iPhone!

We could go on and on and radiate out in thousands of ways and still not ehaust all the possibilities. To remove even one tiny element, even one hydrogen atom, and the whole universe would cease to exist.

We superimpose dotted lines in our minds over the world we experience to say "this is an iPhone" and "that is not an iPhone" or "this is me" or "this is not me"-- but these are conventient fictions. Certainly they are helpful, and we need to make those distinctions just to get through an ordinary day. The problem is when we mistake those dotted lines for reality-- and we see everything as separate. But this is not the ultimate perspective. Oddly enough, the only way attachment can begin is by perceiving ourselves as separate to begin with. This is craving, which then leads to dukkha.

Think of the air that you are breathing right now. Can you really delineate precisely what is "me" and "not-me"? One way that you may identify "me" is by your body. But is it really that simple? Think of the air you inhale-- this is going into your lungs, becoming a part of your bloodstream. You can't even separate yourself from the air you breathe (you could, but you'd also be dead!).

There is a facinating book I read recently by Bodhipaksa, called Living as a River which goes into this in far more detail, using the "Six Element Meditation Practice." I highly recommend this book. There is an interview with the author here:

AUDIO FILE: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/audio/Episode191_Living_as_a_River.mp3

TRANSCRIPT: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/10/bg-191-living-as-a-river/

• @riverflow great post thanks. All of you have helped me to understand things little better, but of course, meditation is in order which I have a big problem with,I don't know why, it seems like a chore or my mind is all over the place
  • You are driving on this along this highway. You start to notice that you are not able to control the car. You start looking around, and everything seems odd. You start to realize that you are not actually driving, but the car is actually on a giant conveyor belt. You start looking at where the giant conveyor belt is going, and you see it is a giant monster eating up the cars and swallowing everything. You jump out of the car, and you leave it empty. Good thing you were not too attached to that car, and had jumped out in time, because you could have been eaten by that monster.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited May 2011
    Another perspective is that mind is an experience and matter is also an experience. Designating mind and matter is a overlay onto the direct experience. The basis of our reality is none other than thinking. Thinking is fleeting but its all we got.

Behind that is the space of awareness. Try the surangama sutra.

From this perspective the skandas are relative truth and are actually ultimately a confused presentation of reality. Their purpose is to overcome previous wrong thinking. But the skandas themselves are only a view.
  • Just when you thought you were safe, you realize that everything under your feet is moving. You are still headed towards that dreaded thing ahead. You finally came to realization that there is no escape. The only thing you can do is allow yourself to be devoured. The only thing that you can hang on to is your knowledge, and while still immersed in that knowledge, you wake up from the dream.