Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sleep

edited May 2011 in Meditation
The factors which effect on sleep.Means if we want to sleep less what we should do for that?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Humans are the only creatures on the planet who have a regimented set period of sleep. All other creatures nap when tired, and stay awake when they're not.
    Change your habits, but do so gradually.
    Set your alarm 5 minutes progressively earlier in the mornings, or sleep with the curtains open.
    Light triggers wakefulness....
  • ravkesravkes Veteran
    If you want to sleep less, sleep less.
  • Why would you want to sleep less? The longer you sleep, the better your body and mind is re-charged and ready to go.

Limiting your sleep really isn't a good idea.
  • The human brain is utterly different from almost all other animals on earth. There's a reason your brain tells you to sleep. Listen to it. The vast majority of people in western societies don't get nearly enough sleep, nor enough quality sleep. Since the invention of the electric light bulb almost 150 years ago, the average adult has lost something like 1.5 hours of sleep per night. People back then weren't lazy, it's that we're crazy. Lack of sleep is implicated in many illnesses, both mental and physical.

I recommend strongly *against* attempting to permanently modify your natural sleep rhythms. Just because humans are the only creatures with "regimented" sleep patterns (which isn't completely true, btw) doesn't mean that we're wrong for so doing. Rather than fighting against mother nature, why not work together with her?

• Exactly right. A lot of times your body knows better than you do. If your body is telling you to sleep, it's probably best to sleep.

Some people naturally sleep less than others but I'd certainly advise against restricting and trying to mold a new sleeping pattern. Not even from a Buddhist stand point, as Mountains mentions it's generally not good even from a human point of view. Lack of sleep taken to extremes can even make you delusional and a bit nuts! In my glory days I'd stay up for 24 + hours and would often get very light-headed and paranoid/agitated.

It's not something that really goes away with experience, time or routine, either.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    "Sleep is the best meditation."
    -Dalai Lama
  • I agree with Mountains and Gypsy. Your body knows how much sleep it needs. Let it do its thing. (Why, are you a workaholic? Or are you trying to create time in your daily routine for meditation? If the latter, see MindGate's post. :) )
  • I believe finding the right amount of sleep(whether more or less)may yield better meditation during waking hours.
  • I don't see how forcing less sleep on your body, against its own inclinations, could yield better anything.
  • Well lets see.. If you meditated before sleep for 8 hours you'd be meditating past bedtime, thus. less sleep. :)
  • We had a thread on that. Does meditation mean you don't have to sleep? No it doesn't mean your body doesn't need sleep. But do an experiment, santhisouk, and report back to us: on weekends, anytime convenient, spend hours meditating each day, then see if you naturally sleep less. it's a good experiment.
  • I already found my sleep number.. Its 5. :)

with metta
  • But can extra meditation alter it? That's the question.

Ralph Nader lived for years on 3 hrs. of sleep. He was an unusual case. Doctors say 6 hrs. is the minimum humans need, but studies show that even at 6 hrs. of sleep on a regular basis, memory, reflexes, judgment are impaired.
  • My teacher says that 1 hour is all the body needs. Being an 8 hour sleeper at that time, I was actually curious to test that out. I found out that he could be right, because I was sleeping 2-3 with no problem - with a few hourly meditation each day. Without meditation, the best I can do is 5 which is fine since I work 8 hours.

• OK, this is interesting information, santhisouk. How many hours does your teacher sleep? May I ask what tradition you practice?
  • My teacher is a Theravadan forest monk. From what I gather at that time, he sleeps 2 to 3 regularly.
  • edited May 2011
    How many hours does he meditate? This matter should be studied by sleep scientists.
  • He did teach that once you learn into the right meditation, that your mind is in constant meditation, even when sleeping. I have yet to learn that... :(
  • What meditation is that? (You've got me intrigued, now. ;) )
  • I was watching something with Japanese inventor NakaMatsu and he said that he felt best with only 4 hrs of sleep.
    I've found with myself that I get the most done and have the best thinking time very late at night.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    I need 6 1/2 to 7 hours of sleep a night.