Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist prayers or rituals for the deceased.

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Anybody know of a few?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    A friend of mine went to China many many years ago, and stayed in a remote village, where one day, they were conducting a funeral for someone... she and her interpreter did not stay, but she was able to hear the people carrying the casket all speaking....
    She asked the interpreter what they had been saying, as perhaps it had been part of the funeral rite...
    The Interpreter explained that what they had been saying was....

'Man this guy is heavy!
    'Yes, too much rice! His wife over-fed him!
    Now we're breaking our backs to give him a lift!
    I'm going to need physiotherapy!'

Somehow, I don't think it played a part... But she insisted it sounded very melodic and wonderful!!

Thank you ZenMonk, that's a very nice link...:)
  • edited January 2006
    Except when I read the question it was Buddhist Prayers or Rituals, and so my link was inaccurate when 'for the deceased' was added. This is more appropriate:

Buddhist Funeral Rituals
  • edited January 2006
    but are there any prayers or sayings?

On the anniversary of Ginsberg's death, Philip Whalen conducted a zen ritual to remember him, what would be included in the sayings?
  • edited January 2006
    Buddhism doesn't really have prayer in the sense that other religions do because there is no being outside of us that is responsible for us, can bring us to awakening, or can that can ultimately do anything about our individual karma. The things that are traditionally chanted at a funeral in many Buddhist traditions are sections from the Sutras. In a Zen funeral for example, the deceased is given the refuges and precepts, in a way very similar to ordination, and the Heart Sutra is chanted. There's a good translation of the Heart Sutra here:

Heart of Perfect Wisdom Sutra
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited January 2006
    I'm going for an atheist's funeral next time - no rituals, because I think it'd be the best for an attempted non-change in karma you can't control - because I don't wish for a Pure Land funeral (which being Buddhist means in Singapore) or anybody to recite any sutras - it always gives me the impression during funerals like "Read Sutra, Gain Karma!" - a classic way for any so-called Buddhist to have the starting point to become a hypocrite.

"Hey you asshole, still want some more beatings from me?"
    "But you're a Buddhist!"
    "Heck, I read my sutras ten times every day!"

Sorry if I went off-topic but just a thought. :)