Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Questions regarding my new mala

edited May 2011 in Meditation
Hi everyone!

I just returned from a trip to Montreal where I found a very nice Buddhist shop. While I was there I purchased my very first mala!

I've been studying Buddhism for about a year now (last 6 months practicing)..

Until recently I've only been meditating by counting my breathes, and now using my mala to help keep count of them. This has helped me to focus on the actual meditation rather than keeping track.

I'm going to start mantra meditation tonight using my mala.. but I have a few questions about it.

Is it acceptable for me to wear it around my neck on a daily basis? I take it off to shower and to sleep. I like having it with me to keep a reminder to my devotion.

Is there any specific way I should treat my mala? (I'm studying Tibetan Buddhism).. other than generally not to harm it...

There are 2 strands below the guru, each with 3 beads.. are these for counting larger cycles around the mala? How would they be used?

Thanks everyone!
Justin

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Is it acceptable for me to wear it around my neck on a daily basis? I take it off to shower and to sleep. I like having it with me to keep a reminder to my devotion.

-------

I do that.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    Treat your mala like any other object you respect. Other than that, there's no specific rules. The two strands of 3 beads are counters. You slide the beads when you complete a cycle on the mala to keep track of how many repetitions you've done. You can use them (or not) however you wish.
  • You can do whatever you like with it. I just made one from some beads lying around the house. It doesn't even have a correct # of beads, I just winged it. It's just beads on a string. I used to wear it wrapped around my wrist, so I could just pull it off on work breaks. Third shift work breaks are good alone time.
  • I also keep my mala with me most of the time! I try and wear it around my wrist more often, but it's very loose. I do get a lot of questions about it and it's nice to be able to explain something about what I've been studying.
  • Lol, once before a big test. I was sitting by myself in the hall trying to calm down with my homemade mala. I was chilling out and keeping my mind from jumping into panic mode. I didn't think anyone saw me... but later a classmate asked me if I had test anxiety. When I asked her how she knew, she said "I saw you praying the rosary earlier". Lol
  • lol Malachy! I like that story. I've had people say the same thing. Often when my very religious father in law is speaking, my sister will comment later that I was quickly counting off mantras on my mala in distress.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    I almost always wear it around the neck.

the japa mala precedes the rosary by centuries (AFAIK).