Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

YOGA YOGA YOGA!!!

edited February 2006 in General Banter
So my girlfriend and I are wanting to take up yoga, but know little of the subject. I've tought her how to meditate and everything, but neither of us know how to go about yoga.

would anyone care to share?

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Just go along and enjoy yourself. Don't push yourself too hard though, some of the asanas (postures) are incredibly tough. When I started I tried to force myself into some of the postures (it's my competitive streak) before I was ready and believe me, your body will tell you when it's had enough ! I was under the impression that as I used to do a lot of Karate that yoga would be easy but was I in for one hell of a shock!
    I love it though, I've regained much of my flexibility I lost after having to stop Karate 10 years ago through injury. It's also incredibly good for getting your mind into the right state for meditation.
    You should try PM-ing YogaMama as she's a yoga teacher.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited January 2006
    Craig wrote:
    So my girlfriend and I are wanting to take up yoga, but know little of the subject. I've tought her how to meditate and everything, but neither of us know how to go about yoga.

would anyone care to share?
    I found this website helpful, http://www.yogajournal.com/ . Also I liked the stick figures on this website, http://yogasite.com/postures.html . I found these while researching yoga a few days ago. Please note though that I do not practice yoga myself, so I have no clue whether these are any good.

P.S. The stickfigures are a little ways down the page.
  • edited January 2006
    I have to admit, I've been hit by the yoga bug as well. And much to my surprise, my husband has started doing it as well - though he is temporarily taking a break since he just dislocated his shoulder in a totally unrelated accident. Yogajournal.com is definitely a great site. I also like http://yoga.about.com. My favorite book right now is the Yoga Bible. A lot of the poses in it are quite advanced, but it tells you how to make them easier or work up to them with other poses. There are a lot of good beginning books out there, too, that will show you just the easier poses.
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you guys, very much.
    Always so helpful around here!
  • edited January 2006
    As much as I would LOVE to be a Yoga Instructor, I am not one yet. :) I do Yoga everyday and I love it more every time I do it. It has changed my life in SO many ways. I would recommend finding a good yoga studio to go to. Go to the yoga journal website, and you can put in your zip code to find a studio near you. Nothing is better than an excellent yoga instructor. Yoga dvd's are also great. I HIGHLY recommend the Yoga Journal Step by Step DVD's with Natasha Rizopoulous. She is incredible and an excellent teacher. You get three different dvd's that go through different poses with you step by step. You can get these dvd's separately on Amazon, or from the yoga journal website. I do most of my yoga at home from various dvd's, and then I also go to a yoga studio several times a month to make sure I am doing things correctly, and to just get more ideas and tips from the instructor.

I hope that helps - Yoga is very addicting and challenging!
  • edited January 2006
    Ooops, sorry YogaMama. For some reason I thought you taught.
  • edited January 2006
    No worries! :) I wish I did, and I plan to someday!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Granted, but now you.....

oh, sorry.... wrong thread...... :o:D
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited January 2006
    federica wrote:
    Granted, but now you.....

oh, sorry.... wrong thread...... :o:D
    :lol:
  • edited February 2006
    I think I'll get into yoga whenever I go to a residential school in Grade 11.
  • edited February 2006
    ok...cool.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Why not try some simple stretches (using a book on yoga as reference?)

i had to do this after a back injury and I continue at least 5 times a week while watching TV at night at about 8.00pm.

Yoga to put it quite simply is stretching and holding the stretch while breathing in-out for around ten seconds. A great relaxation and also a great mind settler as well as a body tonic. gets you "unblocked, loosened-up" if you like.

P.S. This is MY interpretation of it-it works for ME, give it a go.

regards,
    Xrayman
  • edited February 2006
    There is SO much more to yoga than just stretching and breathing, although that is sort of the "gist" of it! :)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yogamama,

like I said, This is MY interpretation of it-it works for ME. In fact, I've just strained my Subscapularis-and now I really need some yoga.

keep smiling,
    Xrayman