Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Thank you

keithgkeithg Explorer
edited January 2006 in Faith & Religion
Thank you guys for a great forum. I used to go to a christian one a while back called faith forum. When it was younger it did ok... but as more people came to it everyone was at eachothers throats. I dont understand why there is so much bickering between christians, it drove me nuts. I dont want to go into details about it because I dont want to be critisizing it, I dont want to feel spite towards them. Again thank you for such a peaceful forum, the internet is truly lacking of them.

Comments

• edited January 2006
    If you hang around long enough I'm sure you'll find some bickering here too. People are people after all and do disagree. I would say though that this is one of the more pleasant forums I've personally come across.
  • keithgkeithg Explorer
    edited January 2006
    If you hang around long enough I'm sure you'll find some bickering here too. People are people after all and do disagree. That being said, I wouldsay that this is one of the more pleasant forums I've personally come across.
    Yeah but you guys kiss and make up. :lol:

Edit: Also, I posted the original post in here because I noticed the huge contrast between a buddhist forum, and a christian forum.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    keithg wrote:

Edit: Also, I posted the original post in here because I noticed the huge contrast between a buddhist forum, and a christian forum.

Yes, with regard to your first comment, I think we do... and it's a credit to each and every person on this forum, no matter what their persuasion, that they are able to do that... and I further think that in part, this is due to the attitudes we all meet here: of tolerace, equality, respect and reverence... we lose sight of the target occasionally, obscured as it is by our knee-jerk desire to either be right, or to simply be heard... but the feeling I get here is that everyone is prepared to help another up, brush them off and carry on walking together...

I have been participating on a Christian forum for a couple of weeks now, and I will say that none are so fired up, so passionate and so 'in-your-face' as those who ascribe to a Theistic religion... But I have been complimented on the views, opinions and statements I have made in response to posts, and the information I have provided therein.... and I am told by a couple of members, through PM's that my post content has caused them to re-think matters on some issues....!!

There is an advert being run in the UK for a brand of tissues... briefly, it depicts an eastern monk turning a baby tortoise upright, after finding it on its' back... replacing a leaping fish back into the water, having found it on the river-bank... placing a spider out onto a tree, out of harm's way.... then coming indoors to blow his nose, and realising in horror, that the tissue contains an anti-bacterial element whick kills germs... the look of dismay on his face...
    Nick expressed irritation, saying that it seemed to mock Eastern traditions and values.. I turned it round by replying that it was a matter for thought that they hadn't used a Western theistic monk or priest to illustrate the point, but had seen it appropriate to use a monk clearly from another Spiritual vocation....it seems reputations are subtle...:scratch: ;)
  • edited January 2006
    I have to agree with your fella on this one. Are they getting confused with Jianism?
  • edited January 2006
    I have to agree with your fella on this one. Are they getting confused with Jianism?

And who is it that does the forgiving? :scratch:

Sorry to highjack the thread Keithg!:smilec:
    Welcome to the group :wavey:
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    keithg wrote:

Bring on the kissin'!

-bf
  • edited January 2006
    I don't think a forum has to be "religion-based" to suffer from bigotry and name-calling. I have recently stopped visiting a site which was meant to be for anyone with an alcohol problem with the aim that people would share their experiences of getting sober and offer support and help. Fine aims and very laudable.

BUT a fight broke out between those who go to AA and those who don't. High horses were mounted, stances were taken, vicious things were said and the whole thing degenerated into an on-line fist fight with a few peacekeepers waving frantically from the sidelines begging everyone to calm down. They didn't, they still haven't.

And in my experience, once that kind of nastiness creeps in, the hurt and bad feeling never goes away, it is always there simmering under the surface.

So kiss away - I'll join in!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    :grumble: If you hang around long enough I'm sure you'll find some bickering here too. People are people after all and do disagree. I would say though that this is one of the more pleasant forums I've personally come across.

Your views are all wrong .

I dislike your hairstyle too, so there.

Anyone else want to challenge my views on bickering?
    :cool:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    P.S. the above is a joke-OKAY!?

regards
  • edited January 2006
    Well I disagree with your disagreeing because if you really disagreed we'd be in agreement about it and we're not, so right there we can see that it's all really quite disagreeable, if you agree.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    And in the red corner....!!
  • edited January 2006
    Is the large lady with the big ears eating a mars bar and wondering if she will ever be able to keep up!
  • edited January 2006
    Yes.
  • edited January 2006
    Ahhhhh thank you - that was truly kind - I need to feel that it might get less confusing some day!
    edited January 2006
    Ah, now... he didn't say that.....
    But sometimes, confusing is good... it shows you're still thinking about it...
    It's when you think you can see it all clearly, and that you have got it all sorted out, that falling flat on your face hurts twice as much.....;)
  • edited January 2006
    :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: Ho hohohohohohohohoh don't think there's much chance of that my lovie - at the moment it is all boiling up and bubbling in my poor old head like a really good soup.

And thinking about it??????? I never stop thinking about it. It is simmering away in my brain all the time.
    edited January 2006
    It will calm down, settle and start to click in, I promise...
    It's a bit like taking a bowl of water, and swirling it around so fast, that the centrifugal force starts swooshing the water up and over the edges.... In time, the water slows down, and settles, the movement relaxes, and then just flows, sedately....
    That's what it's like with trying to absorb it all at once. It IS time consuming and all-encompassing... But you see the Dharma everywhere you look, and in everyone you meet.

Great, innit?!? :rockon: :)
  • edited January 2006
    Yes it is great (hanging on with white knuckles and gritted teeth as the roller coaster goes around another bend, g force grips my cheeks and I think I am going to be sick) and it is probably only that I AM trying to absorb the whole thing all at once.

But it is a very satisfying sort of confusion - and don't anyone try and tell me to stop thinking about it, I've tried that and I CAN'T!!!!!
  • edited January 2006
    It is very amazing, and non stop thinking too. KW you remember Baldur, well we Chat a lot, he's Buddhist also and is helping my pathetic brain to sort some of it. Well actually its all his fault I'm here too. His 'take' on life is so tremendously calm. And Mrs Impatience wants some of it yesterday!!! :ukflag:
    edited January 2006
    'Oooooh Lord, Grant me patience - but fer Chrissakes, hurry!!"

Not that I am in any way putting myself forward as an expert here, but I too can relate to how KW and Sherringham feel. When the bell first clanged for me, and the light came on, it really was as if I had been standing in a totally dark room and suddenly the curtains had been flung back. there I was, faced with metaphorical ceiling-high piles of books, teachings, videos, sutras, Schools, sayings and wisdoms and it felt like "You have to file all these away, but you only have ten minutes...."
    Fortunately, i found this forum, so now it feels like i have a whole gang of enthusiastic helpers, aiding me in sorting it all out - !
  • edited January 2006
    Phew!!! thankgoodness for that! Although I do have a good friend who is guiding me slowly around. Also learning what seems to be a completely foreign language, but am trying not to use the good old English ploy of shouting!!

Thanks everyone, sure we shall get there :)
  • edited January 2006
    I'm sure we will Sher, I'm sure we will. Come on, park your broomstick next to mine and we'll do this together. One step, two step .......
  • edited January 2006
    Phew!!! thankgoodness for that! Although I do have a good friend who is guiding me slowly around. Also learning what seems to be a completely foreign language, but am trying not to use the good old English ploy of shouting!!

Thanks everyone, sure we shall get there :)

Which is as it should be of course. Everyone should learn to speak English. :rockon:
  • edited January 2006
    As mind-gripping as all of this is for me, I am loving every bit of it! :D
    (could that be 'attachment' though?)

I have learned so much about myself! What I like and the 'ugly' parts of my actions that need to change!

This forum has been a TREMENDOUS help and releif! Thank you all!!!:cheer: