Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Retreats (South England)

edited May 2011 in Meditation
I am thinking I might be ready for a first retreat...

Looking online I found Gaia House in Devon - it has a variety of interesting looking week long retreats throughout summer. By chance has anyone reading this been there or know someone who has?

Most welcome would be any suggestions or recommendations regards to retreats that are commutable distance from London (within a days travel) or just general advice for someone embarking on their first meditation retreat.

I recently started structuring my daily meditation practice using Ānāpānasati method based on Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's book Mindfulness with Breathing.

with thanks,
tia

Comments

• Hi TiaP,

I recommend that you consider a stay or retreat at Amaravati monastery (Theravada Thai Forest Tradition)

http://www.amaravati.org/abmnew/index.php

and also at Chithurst

http://www.cittaviveka.org/

kind wishes,

D.
  • Thanks @Dazzle. Have you experienced a retreat at either of those? Are there any particular aspects of these places that draw your recommendations?
  • edited May 2011
    @TiaP

I haven't been to Chithurst monastery but I have heard good things about it.
    I haven't been on a retreat at Amaravati, but have visited for the day on a number of occasions. Last year mostly to hear Ajahn Sumedho give some very informative Dhamma teachings before he finally retired from his post as abbot.He went to live in Thailand towards the end of the year.

Ajahn Amaro is now the abbot there.

Its a nice place and everyone is friendly and helpful.

:)
  • graceleegracelee Veteran
    I have been to Gaia house and absolutely recommend it!
    the retreats are in silence which can be quite daunting at first, but i personally really appreciate the silence. they have some very experienced teachers and are not affiliated to a specific tradition,
    i have been on three retreats there and feel that these retreats have been very beneficial and worth every penny, the area is beautiful and the food is good too.
    hope that helps
    if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate xx
  • @TiaP
    Here's a video of Amaravati Monastery

• edited May 2011
    @Dazzle thank you, it looks like a haven for tranquility :) Many thanks!
  • Hi @TiaP

I have been to many of those mentioned but I also know of and would have great confidence in Gaia.

So whatever you choose, enjoy, have fun and meditate!

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • Hi Guys

In England you are blessed to have an amazingly attained, experienced and truly amazing dhamma teacher in Burgs.
    I will add the link to his website below. I have been on many retreats and i can honestly say that receiving teaching and guidance from a teacher like Burgs is a rare opportunity, he is a wonderful teacher. As soon as you meet the guy you are aware that he is someone very special.

http://theartofmeditation.org/

With metta :)
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    I recently started structuring my daily meditation practice using Ānāpānasati method based on Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's book Mindfulness with Breathing.
    hi Tia

i can only agree with the comments above by Grace, Abu and Dazzle

if you wish to pursue Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's Mindfulness with Breathing, both GaiHouse or the Forest Sangha (Amaravati) should be suitable.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu was Christopher's first teacher as a monk.

Ajahn Amaro and the monks at Forest Sangha (such as Ajahn Sukhacitto) should be well versed on Anapanasati.

I have met Ajahn Amaro and know Ajahn Sukhacitto well (from Thailand) plus have a lay friend who spent many years living regularly at Amaravati, which nurtured a wonderful transformation in her life.

My impression of Ajahn Amaro was he was well versed in Buddhadasa Bhikkhu's teachings. As for Ajahn Sukhacitto, he took ordination with Buddhadasa Bhikkhu and has studied his teachings extensively, living for many years in Buddhadasa's monastery.

Of course, who teaches the retreat you would have inquire about but all monks & nuns at Amaravati would probably have exposure to Anapanasati, given it was what the Buddha primarily taught.

The difference between these places is probably financial plus the monastery would probably be more traditional or conservative.

Both should be fine.

All the best

:)

• edited June 2011
    Many thanks @DhammaDhatu, that's really useful to know. Quite keen on Amaravati unfortunately it's fully booked until Nov, I'll have to be patient and wait. Til then I'm considering at summer week at Gaia House.