Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Useful information please...

edited January 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello

I am a 31 year old father of two, and am married (this is my second marriage). I love my children, my wife and the comfort I can take from them. For many years I have struggled to achieve some sort of happiness outside of my family so that in turn I may be able to provide a more stable and loving future for them.

I have grown tired with all the suffering and immorality that surrounds myself and my family. I have no faith in God as I see organized religion as a sort of hypocrisy. I don't believe that one needs to worship another to achieve bliss, but that one needs to worship and or believe in one's self to obtain happiness.

I have started reading bits and pieces of Buddhism and have actually meditated once with the help of an online resource that guided me through it. Afterward I felt really good, grounded, etc. I guess my main reason for writing to you and seeking your answers is to know if Buddhism is the right choice for a person like me. I am not an addictive personality type, so this is not just something new to satisfy my hunger per say. I am mainly seeking answers and truth because I am tired of the suffering within and the suffering I see on a day to day basis in the world. I am sorry if this seems like I am rambling and making no sense, but I feel something inside me is happy and positive when thinking of taking on the teachings of Buddhism.
What do you think?

And where do I start? I am going to the bookstore to get some of the recommended books tonight.

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Welcome!

If you are interested in the Dhammapada, here is a link where you can read it for free: The Dhammapada

Also, one of the first books I read that really aroused my passion for the Dhamma was: Food for the Heart

Have fun!

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Greetings L.F.A., and a warm welcome to you....

There is so much one could add about what books to read, which links to use, what forum to visit.... Elohim is perhaps one of our best-read contributors and members, and following his advice will never be wrong. He's a font of information....
    But another way you can learn is just to join in, read the threads, participate and Ask.... Ask, ask, ask!! never hesitate, never think your questions are daft or ridiculous, never ever think we'll grow impatient or weary...
    We're all in the same boat, and we're all happy to help.
    You may get several different answers to one question, but that won't make anyone wrong or right. it will just give you many different facets to gaze at as you look through the diamond....
    Nobody will try to convince you that hey, yeah!! Buddhism IS the way! But we'll explain things as best we can, and let you make your own mind up....
    If you'd like further links on the Four Noble Truths, The EighFold Path and the Sutras, just ask.... when you're ready....
    Take your time, and enjoy! It's not an ordeal...!

Bienvenue!
  • edited January 2006
    Any book by Steve Hagen is a good place to start!
    Mike
  • edited January 2006
    Any book by Steve Hagen is a good place to start!
    Mike

I almost picked up a book from him tonight, next time I am at the bookstore I will pick that up.

I chose "Buddhism for Beginners" by Thubten Chodron. So far it is very informative. Does any have an opinion on this book?

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post, I appreciate all the answers you have given me and that you will be there when I have more. Thank you.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Hello

I am a 31 year old father of two, and am married (this is my second marriage). I love my children, my wife and the comfort I can take from them. For many years I have struggled to achieve some sort of happiness outside of my family so that in turn I may be able to provide a more stable and loving future for them.

I have grown tired with all the suffering and immorality that surrounds myself and my family. I have no faith in God as I see organized religion as a sort of hypocrisy. I don't believe that one needs to worship another to achieve bliss, but that one needs to worship and or believe in one's self to obtain happiness.

I have started reading bits and pieces of Buddhism and have actually meditated once with the help of an online resource that guided me through it. Afterward I felt really good, grounded, etc. I guess my main reason for writing to you and seeking your answers is to know if Buddhism is the right choice for a person like me. I am not an addictive personality type, so this is not just something new to satisfy my hunger per say. I am mainly seeking answers and truth because I am tired of the suffering within and the suffering I see on a day to day basis in the world. I am sorry if this seems like I am rambling and making no sense, but I feel something inside me is happy and positive when thinking of taking on the teachings of Buddhism.
    What do you think?

And where do I start? I am going to the bookstore to get some of the recommended books tonight.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :wavey: Like you, I have grown tired with all the suffering and immorality in this world- this is my second marriage, also. I have become increasingly disillusioned with the Abrahamic religions, as, like yourself, all I seem to see is hypocrisy. Don't get me wrong, there are very many decent people who follow these faiths, but I despair when I see the wars, starvation and disease that ravage our planet, yet the churches seem only to concern themselves with internal dogma, while their followers turn away in their droves.

I realised that the answers I sought were inside myself, and I turned to Buddhism as a means to connect with my higher being, and through meditation and study I have found a peace and tranquility quite unlike anything I have ever known. I sincerely hope that your search yields similar fruit, and that you will find the answers you seek. A personal favourite book of mine is 'The Art Of Living', by His Holiness the Dalai Lama. In the book, His Holiness outlines the many challenges we face in our daily lives, and how we can best meet them by following Buddhas' example. It's simple, concise, full of common sense, and has been of enormous value on a day-to-day basis. If you are looking for a copy, contact Zenmonk Gunryu on this forum- he will be able to get hold of a copy for you. You might also want to look at the 'Recommended Reading' thread elsewhere in the forum.

Peace!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Hi, LFA. Welcome!
    I've read "Buddhism for Beginners" by Thubten Chodron and found it very useful indeed. That was a good choice.
    Also, just paging through this forum has helped me a great deal. This is a wonderful resource with lots of good people willing to help. Have fun here while you're learning.

Brigid (I'm new, too)
  • edited January 2006
    Welcome LFA
    I'm new too. I have found "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das to be most helpful.
  • edited January 2006
    thanks again to the poeple that have replied and continue to guide me toward great books to read. One more question... what sites, if any, do you recommend that maybe have guided meditation audio files? I found one already but it only had a few meditations. Thanks in advance for your responses.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2006
    http://www.audiodharma.org/
    http://www.buddhanet.net/

Just a couple off the top o me head.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Looking for Answers,

Here is an excellent one:

Guided Meditation

More can be found here:

Various Links

I hope these are helpful.

:)

Jason
  • edited January 2006
    As an E book, I'd also recommend:

Mindfulness in Plain English

And for fun, and if you have your sound on and pop ups aren't blocked:

www.do-not-zzz.com
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Let me add my own welcome, LFA, and thank you for expressing so clearly what so many of us here also feel.

As always, there are lots of good, serious replies and references. There is fun, too:
    Dharma the Cat
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2006
    Welcome LFA.

Well starting here is probably the best way to go, so good on you.

Now, if you get a glowing report from Federica about being such a good contributor (such as Elohim, ZenMonk, Buddhafoot, InfiniteKnot etc.) then you know you've made the "Big Time", however*sigh* some of us can only dream of reaching such heights...:-/

P.S. I'm Not jealous.... mmm
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2006
    Xrayman,
    I do not honestly know how we would manage without your posts...
    your insight, wisdom, clarity, Compassion and infinite tact leave us all in the shade, and I gaze in awe, daily at how you can, just with a short phrase, make my day!

What an asset to our Forum you are!!

(Cut and paste for reference should you so wish.)

Plus happy, maintenant? ;)
  • edited January 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

Now, if you get a glowing report from Federica about being such a good contributor (such as Elohim, ZenMonk, Buddhafoot, InfiniteKnot etc.) then you know you've made the "Big Time", however*sigh* some of us can only dream of reaching such heights...:-/

P.S. I'm Not jealous.... mmm

Luckily, everything changes.
    edited January 2006
    ...Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.....

And

Après nous le déluge......

Both profound and unintelligible words of wisdom.....

:scratch: :wtf:
  • edited January 2006
    Hello LA,
    Can I recommend a book called "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse ( the early years).
    Just be warned though, I'm not a Buddhist. I am just a wanna be.:winkc:
  • edited January 2006
    Wow, I was in awe to see so many new posts this morning. Thank you to everyone. I am going to check out every site that you've all mentioned. Me and my wife were talking yesterday about how since we've started reading, asking questions and gaining knowledge of Buddhism how much happier we have become. It is amazing, the way we look at things has changed completely, whether it be looking at a cloud in the sky and noticing other serene scenes around us that normally would just be another part of the landscape. I finally feel "awakened" enough that I see some sort of direction in life for myself and my family. Thank you all so much for the help and answers, I/we appreciate it more than you know.
    edited January 2006
    Well, L4A; I am thrilled and delighted that what you have seen here has enabled you to discover something joyous....
    Please don't for one moment think that we've all found the answer to everything, or indeed that we've all stopped looking...
    From my own personal perspective, it came to me this morning, whilst reading and responding to another thread, that following the Eightfold Path and adhering to the Five Precepts, takes Concentration Mindfulness and Effort... But that all too often, I have looked upon that as an ordeal, a chore, a duty, hard work and a heck of a lot to live up to...
    but something in me clicked, and I realised how fortunate I am to have something that inspires me and lifts me so.

Because Buddhism makes absolutely no demands on me whatsoever, other than those that I make upon myself. the Buck stops here.
    What a wonderfully refreshing thing it is to realise that we can either view our life's quest as an uphill struggle against insurmountable odds, or a joyous spring-stepped journey which will show us horizons so spectacular, each pace is a delight!
    To choose!! The thrill of being free and able to choose!!
    Right View!!
  • edited January 2006
    InsideOut wrote:
    Welcome LFA
    I'm new too. I have found "Awakening the Buddha Within" by Lama Surya Das to be most helpful.

I agree! I am reading it right now and it is great.

Welcome to our site. It's great to have you here.