Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Samatha

happyjourneyhappyjourney Explorer
edited May 2011 in Meditation
So I have been trying samatha meditation and i had a couple questions and curiosities.
how popular is this calm abiding, focus type of meditation outside of (from what i understand) the main tibetan circles of practice?
if so does the specifics of practice vary?
also, when i am holding the image in mind, should i be projecting it as a mental visual? or should i just be thinking of the image?
lastly, how should i be applying the introspection? does it work best systematicaly or continuesly?

if anyone has any opther advice it would be helpful to.
thanks

Comments

• Hey, Happy.
    Samatha meditation is very popular outside of the Tibetan tradition. The term 'tranquil abiding,' or 'calm abiding,' is generally spoken of only in the Tibetan tradition, and not in others. In Therevada Buddhism, the stages of meditation are referred to as the Jhanas, which are the meditative cultivations the precede the understanding of Nibbana. The mind that the meditator wishes to cultivate in the Jhanas is a relaxed understanding of the nature of the four noble truths as they arise and pass away. By the term 'relaxed understanding,' I mean 'tranquil insight,' or 'samatha vipassana.' Many people believe that samatha is meant to be practiced as seperately from vipassana, and vipassana as separately from samatha. However, Buddha taught that serenity and insight are yoked together, the cultivation of one leads to the cultivation of the other, and the cultivation of the other leads to cultivation of one. The experience of either leads to the growth of the other. Hope that might have helped. :)
    -Tikal
  • That does a bit, thanks.

So are these jhanas the stages like gross excitement/ sinking, subtle excitment/ sinking, aplication of antidotes then non-application(i think 9 stages in total are lsited)? or are the jhanas referring to someting else?
    is this practice of focusing applied directly to the 4 noble truths, or is it only once one has fully cultivated single pointed focus one applies it to the 4?

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited May 2011
    And what is the development of [mind using] concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to a pleasant abiding in the here & now?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.041.than.html
    Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana): these are the qualities that are to be developed through direct knowledge.

For him these two qualities occur in tandem: tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.149.than.html
  • Although samatha and vipassana are yoked together, it required the expediency of samatha to fruition the yoking for a start. Experienced meditator like Buddha also started off from samatha before having a nice yoke. Your ought to know the four noble by listening to dharma talks, and whenever your suffering arises, let it move on, as it is illusion _/|\_
  • also, when i am holding the image in mind, should i be projecting it as a mental visual? or should i just be thinking of the image?
    hi HJ

it may be best if you describe the method you are using

regards

:)

• VajraheartVajraheart Veteran
    edited May 2011
    @happyjourney

Since you mention the Tibetan lineages, are you referencing Creation of the Mandala during your Samatha? As in creation and completion like in Mahamudra? If so, you really need to talk to the qualified lama that initiated you into that practice about your instructions. I would suggest that you don't try to find answers about that practice from people who don't practice it, or follow your particular lineage. The question concerning the meditative mandala image is for your particular Sangham.
  • @happyjourney

I agree with Vajraheart

• Although samatha and vipassana are yoked together, it required the expediency of samatha to fruition the yoking for a start. Experienced meditator like Buddha also started off from samatha before having a nice yoke. Your ought to know the four noble by listening to dharma talks, and whenever your suffering arises, let it move on, as it is illusion _/|\_
    the Eightfold Path starts with Right View. It requires the expediency of Right View to fruition the yoking for a start.

the Buddha, as the unenlightened Bodhisatta, started off from samatha because he had yet to realise the path.

the suttas state one develops the four jhanas by making letting go (vosagga) the object

the instruction of making vosagga the object is found in the 3rd Noble Truth

the 4NTs do not state suffering is an illusion. they state it arises due to craving, attachment & becoming and it ceases when craving, attachment & becoming cease

regards

:)

• I don't go to any official temple or sangha. I intend to start soon though. i would say i follow tibetan buddhism only because i have read the most on that.
    its starting to dawn on me that i may be in over my head with samatha and might put it off, or atleast keep it simple until such time as i'm ready and can recieve proper instruction.

the method i'm using is described here: http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/A - Tibetan Buddhism/Authors/Dagom Rinpoche/Calm Abiiding/Calm Abiding (Samatha) Meditation.htm

• @happyjourney

Samatha is the most most simple of practices, essentially speaking. All it takes is your breath and a sitting cushion. You really should find a sangha. Also, you don't need an image to focus on. You can just use your breath.

:D
  • Happy.
    The meditation that Buddha taught does not entail a cultivation of one thing so that we can then apply that cultivation to the understanding of another. Such as cultivating one pointed concentration and then applying that concentration to the understanding of the four noble truths.
    Buddha taught that the understanding of the four noble truths as they arise and pass away (insight) is to be cultivated alongside the cultivation of a concentrated mind, and a tranquil mind. They are different qualities of the same mind that is to be cultivated. For example, when you attain Nibbana, your mind will not only possess insight into the arising and passing away of the four noble truths, but it will always be tranquil, and it will always be concentrated. It will have all of these qualities at the same time. That is why Buddha taught us to cultivate them alongside each other.
    The Jhanas are the progression or path from ignorance (lack of knowledge regarding the four noble truths) to wisdom (knowledge of the four noble truths). When you enter the first Jhana, your mind is no longer preoccupied with sensual pleasures, or their pursuit, and it is not effected by unwholesome states. When your mind has neither of these things in it, then it experiences joy, which is like excited happiness, and then hapinness, which is like tranquil happiness. The first Jhana has applied and sustained thought in it, which means you will begin thinking a lot about how you understand it. Thoughts like "Oh! I get it now! It's because of this, and that, and this, and that, etc, etc."
    The second Jhana occurs when your mind stops thinking. This occurs because your mind has developed concentration. It is now able to rest on your object of meditation with complete ease, and without being distracted. You will experience joy, and happiness. in this Jhana.
    The third Jhana is the quiet happiness of the second Jhana.
    When your mind has experienced enough of this happiness, equanimity arises, and this causes purity of mindfulness to arise. You are now in the fourth Jhana, and you will begin to see dependent origination as it occurs point for point.
    Nibbana occurs next. :)
    -Tikal
  • @happyjourney

I agree with Vajraheart

Samatha is the most most simple of practices, essentially speaking. All it takes is your breath (or any other neutral) and a sitting cushion.

:D
  • thanks everyone this has been very helpful. I tried in my morning meditation using my breath in-lue of any image or object with moderate success. it honestly wasn't much different to the usual breath meditation i do, only with i suppose a better understanding of where it should be going. :thumbsup: